Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

n2ri wrote:
weeiiee wrote:
soliryan wrote:

Hey everyone,

"The Press has an injection molded enclosure with a door. The motherboard is a new design specifically for the Press, and the extruder has also been completely redesigned. The build platform is a new design and is driven by a machine threaded rod embedded into the Z-motor. All belts are closed loop, so tension should be less of an issue. There will be an exhaust fan with a carbon filter."

I'm new to 3dprinting and planning to buy the Press,  after some reading it seems that PLA needs to have a fan w/nozzle .
Will it void the warranty it a fan was added, is it considered a modification? I'm just planning to print PLA most of the time.

you may want to also note the specs on 'Press' say its designed for propryatory filament cartriges like makerbot and some others which limit selections while raising cost so not a good printer for anyone wishing to sell prints to say the least.

Incorrect, SD says you can use either cartridge type.

one thin that has always bugged me is the massive price tag on solidoodle parts.

sd2 parts - acrylic build plate - $23.99 ( when i can buy 6 mirror tiles at discount store for $8)
and $180 for a motherboard - ARE YOU HIGH?

really kinda grinds my gears that solidoodle pay lip service to being for the maker community and then alienate all the novices trying to start out by making it super difficult to upgrade.

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

103 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-08-08 18:53:32)

Here is a comparison chart between the new printers.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4860274/ … _Sheet.pdf

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

MacGyverX wrote:

Here is a comparison chart between the new printers.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4860274/ … _Sheet.pdf

Thanks!

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=5932&download=0

Post's attachments

sd comp.JPG
sd comp.JPG 183.57 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

105 (edited by LdyMox 2014-08-08 18:58:50)

Nice data smile.

I saw on the Solidoodle facebook page this morning that the Workbench Apprentice would indeed have a heated glass bed.

They have updated thier site too http://www.solidoodle.com/workbench-apprentice

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

a few errors in that list

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

107 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-08-08 19:16:54)

So its looking like the SD Press primarily uses a proprietary spool internally, but for the 'Universal spool option' you have to route the filament externally from the unit. In the image below you can see a hole in the top / center of the top cover.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=5933

Post's attachments

untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg 180.94 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

MacGyverX wrote:

So its looking like the SD Press primarily uses a proprietary spool internally, but for the 'Universal spool option' you have to route the filament externally from the unit. In the image below you can see a hole in the top / center of the top cover.

Where did you get that rendering of the back?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

elmoret wrote:
n2ri wrote:
weeiiee wrote:

I'm new to 3dprinting and planning to buy the Press,  after some reading it seems that PLA needs to have a fan w/nozzle .
Will it void the warranty it a fan was added, is it considered a modification? I'm just planning to print PLA most of the time.

you may want to also note the specs on 'Press' say its designed for propryatory filament cartriges like makerbot and some others which limit selections while raising cost so not a good printer for anyone wishing to sell prints to say the least.

no, its says it has an option to accept other types. and I'm sure that means either running fillament from outside case or removing the lid as it dont have room for the taller bigger reels inside. its only 5 inches taller than bare SD2 but has SD3 size guts

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

we all have learned to read between the missleading lines of SD sales adds LOL

111 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-08-08 22:41:34)

@DePartedPrinter - Screen grab from the video.

For any folks wanting to get a SD Workbench or Apprentice there is a 100$ off coupon code. WB100. Good till Aug 17th (Expires @ Midnight)

n2ri wrote:
elmoret wrote:
n2ri wrote:

no, its says it has an option to accept other types. and I'm sure that means either running fillament from outside case or removing the lid as it dont have room for the taller bigger reels inside. its only 5 inches taller than bare SD2 but has SD3 size guts

Is there any PLA brand specific that will not void their warranty?because only ABS is being sold on the website.

Also does anyone know if the solicare is worth it? I'm not in US so im not sure it is covered by the warranty.

LdyMox wrote:

What would be awesome is a DIY Dual extruder upgrade kit for the SD2, SD3, and SD4. Or even sell the parts seperate. Is such a thing even possible? I wonder if we could buy the dual extruder direct feed mechnism and a new board and be able to dual extruder on a SD2 for example.

I like how the workbench seems to have a dual direct feed extuders. I want to get that on my SD2 somehow...

There isn't any reason you couldn't if like you say... Buy a new board and
Design a new carriage to hold another extruder.  (I wonder who could help you with that?)
The only thing is you would loose some x-axis travel.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:
LdyMox wrote:

What would be awesome is a DIY Dual extruder upgrade kit for the SD2, SD3, and SD4. Or even sell the parts seperate. Is such a thing even possible? I wonder if we could buy the dual extruder direct feed mechnism and a new board and be able to dual extruder on a SD2 for example.

I like how the workbench seems to have a dual direct feed extuders. I want to get that on my SD2 somehow...

Design a new carriage to hold another extruder.  (I wonder who could help you with that?)

You may also want to think about making it bowden, since the Nema11 on the X axis may not like having the carriage weight doubled.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Hazer wrote:
wardjr wrote:
LdyMox wrote:

You may also want to think about making it bowden, since the Nema11 on the X axis may not like having the carriage weight doubled.

Your right about that.  Seems that motor isn't that crazy about the weight it's carrying as is smile

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

116 (edited by rtrski 2014-08-09 13:57:56)

leonmf wrote:

So far, the only thing I'm not happy about hearing is the low temperature PEEK hot ends.  I'm hoping it's a relatively straightforward mod to add better hot ends. 

Seriously Solidoodle, charge me more to put better components in my printer.  It'll be cheaper than me having to do it after the fact!  It seems you guys are slowly learning this but the lack of LCD/SD card, PEEK hot ends is confusing to me.  That said, this stuff is far easier to deal with than having to retrofit the motion mechanics.

Me too.  I was seriously considering the Workbench, but not without all-metal hot-ends as the initial design.  Starting to also get concerned by all the talk about insufficient bed heating for the size.

rtrski wrote:

I was seriously considering the Workbench, but not without all-metal hot-ends as the initial design.

I dont think it will be too hard to upgrade the Workbench to E3D hotends.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

118 (edited by adrian 2014-08-09 14:31:04)

230°C max temps quoted - does this mean they've finally moved the thermistor location to somewhere more sane ? (and as a derivative - all previous temp advice is out the window....)

wire10ga wrote:
rtrski wrote:

I was seriously considering the Workbench, but not without all-metal hot-ends as the initial design.

There is already a thread were an SD4 user tossed the E3D on.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/6355/upg … on/page/2/
A tad bit of machining required, but very possible.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

AZERATE wrote:
wire10ga wrote:
rtrski wrote:

There is already a thread were an SD4 user tossed the E3D on.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/6355/upg … on/page/2/
A tad bit of machining required, but very possible.

I'm sure it can be done. For $1300, it should come with them in my opinion.

Agreed 100%. An all metal hotend is superior to the PEEK. I would have even paid the extra $79 to have it already installed on my SD2. I'm just happy with Solidoodle's design being that it is easy to modify.....with the exception of having to rework to metal extruder, that is. smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

But what about the heated bed?? Is it that same shitty fiber stuff that keeps pulling off my SD3 or are you doing something different??

SD3, E3D Hot End,
Heated Glass Bed,
Bulldog XL Geared Metal Extruder

yes they should have full PCB bed heaters by now at least. also repetier host has temp limits for solidoodles soft hot heads and dont know if they can be raised for all metal hot heads for new filaments up to 260c does the new software?

I see Sam said they are now on 5th generation of printer models, I count 7th SD1 4x4, SD2 6x6, SD3 8x8, SD4, Press, WB apprentice, Work Bench 12x12

7th model but 5th generation.
All the new units were released at the same time.

As asked before by elmoret (a couple of times) I would also like to know what microcontroller they are using. And are they going to release the eagle files like they have done previously for the Printrboard Rev E. And will the firmware be user assessable / mod-able like it has been in the past. (this question blankets all three new models)