Re: upgraded SD3 with E3D and Lawsy's LM8UU carriage... I have a question:

That is perfect.  Many thanks.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.  Thanks.  Do you really have to disconnect all the leads when you reboot to update firmware?  I don't on some of my other boards.

Bookmaker wrote:

A picture is worth a 1000 words.  Thanks.  Do you really have to disconnect all the leads when you reboot to update firmware?  I don't on some of my other boards.

Do not disconnect the leads from the board.  I am guessing your following the instructions from jake?  You'll want to follow the instructions from en-rage that AZERATE re-posted above.  Stepper drivers do not like to be powered up without a load attached.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Hello again, my .hex file is named SolidoodleMarlin.cpp.hex not Marlin.cpp.hex.  Is that okay.  Do I change the command line to read SolidoodleMarlin? When I just use the Marlin.cpp.hex I get an error that it can't read that file.

Bookmaker wrote:

Hello again, my .hex file is named SolidoodleMarlin.cpp.hex not Marlin.cpp.hex.  Is that okay.  Do I change the command line to read SolidoodleMarlin? When I just use the Marlin.cpp.hex I get an error that it can't read that file.

That should be fine.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Just in case anyone cares it worked just fine.  I now have my E3D up and running on the updated firmware.  Many thanks to all who got back to me when I was stuck. Thanks to my E3D holder modifcation in aluminum I am even able to extrude ruberized filiment.

Very cool! Glad you got her working. Enjoy your E3D smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Glad everything went good finally,

E3D is a great upgrade for the solidoodle, it makes so much sense.

I'm curious about your aluminium holder for the E3D ? Can you post a picture of it ?

SD3, early 2013. Silicon 200W 8x8 heater bed, lawsy carriage on 8 mm hardened chrome shafts, E3D V6 and lawsy MK5 extruder, ATX 350 W PSU, Custom build plywood enclosure, azteeg x5 mini smothie firmware, with vikki 2 screen, fishing line conversion and pulley conversion, M5 Z rod. Calling it Gran'ma, going strong ! <3

I would love too but I don't know how.  I have the image but when I clicked images to insert it, it just gives a help message that I don't understand. HELP PLEASE

Open an account on imgur.com  for every pic you upload, click on the desired image. A little past halfway down on the right column you will see a code stating ".....(forums)" copy that code then paste it into the box here.

Took me a bit to figure this one out big_smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Thanks Azerate!  Not bad once you learn how. http://i.imgur.com/5iMzxPI.jpg

Looks good can you tell me how you dealt with the groove mount?

I bored the .630" hole to .481" deep and then drilled and reamed the hole for the filament all in the same setup so everything would be concentric.  I then put a 8-32 set screw in the side (visible on photo) to hold it in place.     Sorry for the inch references but I am an American and don't do metric very well.

I see the screw now... Nice work.

By the way wardjr, thanks for all the electronic help through this.   Can you tell me anything about how to control a fan through slic3r?  My SD4 has a lot of fans that are on constantly.  I need to get air on the build plat to extrude rubber so I want to add that however at the moment slic3r doesn't do anything.  Do I change the firmware and if so to what and then where on the hardware do I tap in (which header on the board)?   Thanks in advance!

Bookmaker wrote:

By the way wardjr, thanks for all the electronic help through this.   Can you tell me anything about how to control a fan through slic3r?  My SD4 has a lot of fans that are on constantly.  I need to get air on the build plat to extrude rubber so I want to add that however at the moment slic3r doesn't do anything.  Do I change the firmware and if so to what and then where on the hardware do I tap in (which header on the board)?   Thanks in advance!

You have a Printer Board Rev-E?  Then you'd need to solder on a header (I think) but the fan output is labeled on the board.  Fan control is already in Slic3r under the filament settings tab in the cooling section.  All you should have to do is get the hardware connected up correctly.  I don't think there is any firmware changes needed.  The nicest feature of the Rumba board I use is all the fans start and stop so when I am not printing it is nice and quiet and that is a firmware change.

I do have Rev-E and I soldered a header on and tested it to no avail.  I think the firmware needs to be changed to Fan 1 from Fan 0 as I recall something like that somewhere but can't find it.  Any help anyone?

Not having done it I can't say with any certainty.  If I recall user renee managed to figure it out so you might stroll through some of those posts.

44 (edited by michael.t.albers 2014-05-23 12:57:51)

Nice aluminum extruder.  Modified ward's (lawsy's) extruder for the E3d so that it would work with ninjaflex easier using that same swoop between the rollers.

http://i.imgur.com/LKhu9Xd.jpg

Nicely done Michael.  Any body know why it is taking twice as long to heat up by print bed after the firmware update?

I don't know when you added the E3d so your sure it isn't related to the additional load of the E3d?
There are some tweaks to the firmware that can change heat up times.  Unless you went out of your way to change that it shouldn't be any different than it was.

47 (edited by bnj 2014-05-23 15:45:38)

Did you make sure the Bed thermistor type is still the same as original ?

Maybe when you did the upgrade of your firmware, your bed thermistor type (understand number of bed thermistor table) have been changed, so it reads wrong values, and your bed will be running higher temp than the thermistor will report...

That is what happened to me when I upgraded my bed heater with new thermistor, and was still running with the old thermistor type. I just had to select the right type, and voila !

SD3, early 2013. Silicon 200W 8x8 heater bed, lawsy carriage on 8 mm hardened chrome shafts, E3D V6 and lawsy MK5 extruder, ATX 350 W PSU, Custom build plywood enclosure, azteeg x5 mini smothie firmware, with vikki 2 screen, fishing line conversion and pulley conversion, M5 Z rod. Calling it Gran'ma, going strong ! <3

I checked my configuration.h file and it says
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 6 //{SD Patch}
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 6 //{SD Patch}
I am wondering if that last line used to be BED 1.  I think it was.  Can anyone confirm?

Yes BED SENSOR should be 1

thanks wardjr!  I made the correction in my configuration.h file and tried to verify and got a error.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.5-r2 (Windows 7), Board: "Teensy++ 2.0"
core.a(main.cpp.o): In function `main':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/main.cpp:6: undefined reference to `setup'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/main.cpp:8: undefined reference to `loop'

I tried a lot of stuff (uninstall reinstall) to no avail.  It is even worse now because it won't give me the choice for Tennsy++2.0 under, tools, boards.   It compiled just fine several times in the past.  I don't get it.  Is anyone well versed in Arduiono enough to give me a hand here?