Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

Rincewind wrote:
elmoret wrote:

proprietary firmware/software.

Is it really? Because the behavior of the auto leveling is very similar to what is implemented in Marlin (including the direction of the zig-zag pattern). Any official comment on this?

Firmware is not proprietary at this time.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Phew, that was close. Now the the price of the press is above the $349 level, the logical part of my brain can take over again. Besides, it hard to justify ordering two new printers in one day wink

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

28 (edited by mdrVB6 2014-08-05 20:37:24)

So is "Soliprint" a complete replacement for repetier and/or pronterface?  Is there still the option to connect using repetier?  And if it does use new software, is it still using slic3r for G-code generation?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

mdrVB6 wrote:

So is "Soliprint" a complete replacement for repetier and/or pronterface?  Is there still the option to connect using repetier?  And if it does use new software, is it still using slic3r for G-code generation?

SoliPrint is a replacement for Repetier Host, mostly targeted at casual users. It has a much simplified interface, with a limited number of options. Fewer buttons in general. At this time it still relies on Slic3r. To my knowledge, you should be able to use Repetier Host with all the printers. There will be a beta test for SoliPrint.

At least in the short term, I don't think SoliPrint will be big with the SoliForum crowd. I think you guys really value your options. In our minds SoliPrint is an attempt at swapping flexibility for ease of use.

Maybe you should look at a "SoliDesign" software that would blend the best features of Sketchup and Solidworks...Ease of use, but some degree of parametric modeling.

I still think a major weak link in the mass-consumerizing of 3D printing is the ability for the average consumer to actually design what they want.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

solijohn wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
elmoret wrote:

proprietary firmware/software.

Is it really? Because the behavior of the auto leveling is very similar to what is implemented in Marlin (including the direction of the zig-zag pattern). Any official comment on this?

Firmware is not proprietary at this time.

Woohoo! What's the microcontroller on the board?

10k printers shipped at an average of $750/ea, ~$7.5M in revenue over 3 years before factoring in replacement parts. Not bad!

And I am still grumbling that I had just bought my SD4 for $999 literally 3 days before it dropped to $699.

The workbench may be in my future, but I will be watching the prices much more closely this time! lol

and the  SD4  is now  $599 .
If I had not just purchased an SD4 the $399 for the new one would be tempting.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Will it be possible for the Solidoodle Workbench Apprentice to have a heated bed?  I am VERY interested in the workbench series, but I don't think I need the full 12x12x12 print area.

ok lots of good Q& some A but nobody wants to address the 800 lbs gorilla in the room.
NEED more pics and info of all printers especially the 2 we may like. the apprentice pic shows a stamped out hole for vent fan back upper right of case even though open cage. workbench dont have this. both have boxes inside for I assume some electronics plus another box hanging on back hung by 4 keyholes. no clue whats there with pics and tiny specs info on site.

why you would do away with heated bed on an ABS printer is mind boggling to say the least plus raise cost but not add features we all been asking for for nearly 2 years now to refine how it works.

also all carriages look same as b4 no smooth bearings etc.

no talk of added cooling fans for the left carriage motor, mother board/s, filament for bridges (Solidoodle tech told me they dont reccomend doing bridges, but use plenty support instead (to try removing)) etc like software has had incorporated in all along but never installed even connection pins on board or pre-wired for.

ABS needs fumes vented yet no vent connection yet (cant even use that new kids toy Press indoors without causing health issues and strong smell).  my wife wont allow it so I know others wont.

power supply is still under 400 watts so not planning to add any of these requested options. (Solidoodle tech also told me this).

the one glass bed option still puts Kaptan tape on glass (why? so we can tare it removing prints?) also most that use glass have extra plates and quick changeability so last print can cool while starting next.

but we get duel extruders like the makerbot crowd now (which hasnt sold well due to higher cost and few STL apps for it also its only good for 2 colors. anyone needing multi color plastic prints can find powder type printers and have full color dye prints. (I see local stores selling the makerbots and knockoffs at over $3,000 each but they cant move the duel extruder models and dont even have a file to show demo of it with. thats how rare usage is. its just another bell/whistle for maybe someday)

heres an idea, stop tossing out the baby with the bath water, while bringing in next beta made from scratch units and just upgrade what you have to mods owners (customers) have been demanding and doing themselves.

its obvious the 'Press' is aimed at school kids and home use. so make it the only unit without a heated platform and make it only use PLA so buyers can have their homes/schools smell like Maple syrup always. instead of burning plastic giving them headaches, red eyes, etc. (read the MSDS for both plastics used)

also dont mess with software when it does fine for us. I can safely say 90% of Solidoodle users prefer Repetier Host and Slic3r etc like the latest version has. over most others offered the last couple years. a microSD is nice for less reliance on computer memory while printing.

there are some features that should be standard by now on these printers and here we are on 7th generation printer still not included. most dont need huge print size, but all need the above stated features. instead we get a couple options maybe 10% can use.

Mitch

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

36 (edited by Retroplayer 2014-08-06 11:15:20)

I agree that these printers are just too similar to the previous generation to pull out a credit card (for me) but I would have considered them if I didn't already own.

I was also a bit disappointed to see that many of the same issues will still be present in the new printers. I have yet to print something taking up my 8x8x8 build volume on the SD4, so while 12x12x12 sounds amazing, that's probably an entire weekend of printing and if all else is not perfectly reliable, there is no way that print will make it all the way through to completion without getting jacked up. I wouldn't even trust my SD4 to print 4x4x4 reliably without tons of modifications.

Not to mention that the tech support, faqs, tutorials, wiki and everything hasn't even been updated to reflect the SD4 properly. So what about these new printers? Are new buyers going to run into the same things as me where they went to find information and realized it wasn't applicable to their printer and impossible to do without figuring out an alternate way on their own?

Sad panda!

P.S. Are all refurbed printers obsoleted never to return for sale? I was hoping to keep an eye out for a cheaper second printer.

I would Agee the lack of a heated bed for the workbench amateur seems a bit skinflinty

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

considering that the main benefit of dual extrusion is the dissolvable support it really doesnt make sense to limit the material choice to PLA. even when using PLA i stick the heated bed on albeit low temp just to help things along.

also i await closeup of the extruder. considering how popular they are with SD users i am really dissapointed they having collab'd with e3D on this. in saying this im pinning a lot of hopes on these machines as i stuck in a order for 2 press and 1x amateur in order to open up a fablab at my old uni. In addition to the sd2 i have and the form 1 i am saving up for hope to have a decent selection of printers

gonna be using my modded up sd2 for the experimental filaments.

so big q is ...will the workbench amateur be moddable like the usual steel frame sd's eg adding heated bed ?

also will the press extruder feature a integrated cooling fan?

dillrye wrote:

Will it be possible for the Solidoodle Workbench Apprentice to have a heated bed?  I am VERY interested in the workbench series, but I don't think I need the full 12x12x12 print area.

We do not have any plans to add a heated bed at this time.

Edit: WorkBench has a heated bed.

The WorkBench Apprentice has no heated bed.

40 (edited by Stevos758 2014-08-06 14:53:54)

Off to ebay to sell my SD3 and buy the workbench!

Err wait.... No heated bed.... Off to qubd..... : )

Stevos758 wrote:

The workbench has a heated bed.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

42 (edited by wardjr 2014-08-06 16:01:11)

DePartedPrinter wrote:
Stevos758 wrote:

The workbench has a heated bed.

Is that a question or a statement?  Look three posts up from John.

Edit:  My bad just reading too fast!

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

43 (edited by mdrVB6 2014-08-06 15:51:36)

Looks like workbench does have a heated bed and workbench apprentice does not.  I put in my order for the press.  I talked myself into it by saying that I can get it now for $399 and test it out.  Since the price will eventually be $599, I could turn around and sell it on eBay if I don't end up liking it and I will probably still break even.  I will hold onto my SD2 with E3D for now.  I'm thinking someone will have an E3D mounted on a press within a couple weeks of release.  Hopefully it is not too difficult to to get the firmware reconfigured to keep the auto bed leveling with a non-stock hot end.

Also, I thought I saw a comparison chart of the 3 new printers yesterday but I can't find it now.  Did anyone save it?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

Good for Solidoodle to develop a whole new range and still keep at the most affordable end. When my SD2 annoys me I just think that I could have been annoyed by the competition at 3-4 times the price.
My question: If I prefer the apprentice for its size, can I retrofit it with a heated bed, which seems to me to be really necessary.

Henri wrote:

Good for Solidoodle to develop a whole new range and still keep at the most affordable end. When my SD2 annoys me I just think that I could have been annoyed by the competition at 3-4 times the price.
My question: If I prefer the apprentice for its size, can I retrofit it with a heated bed, which seems to me to be really necessary.

Of course it could be added the question really is... How difficult will it be to add the heated bed.  It all depends on the board and what headers are soldered on.  I would guess it is the same board as the workbench so it shouldn't be a problem just plug it in and go.  But, I don't know that!

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Solijohn- Has SD persued any avenues to prevent another "Skyminer event" with these newer units?

On a side note, the newer models seem very familiar yet swanky at the same time, and the 12x12x12 build area is very enticing especially at that price. Personally, I don't care for auto bed leveling since I prefer elbow grease, but it would be nice to fiddle with.

And am I the only SD2/3 user a little sad to see my model go the way of the dodo? sad

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

id be intrested to know the design process that went into deciding not to include a heated bed on the workbench amateur. consideraing a heated is essentialy just... a power resistor it really does come off as not giving a crap to not include one. considering just how essential it is. with 3d printers now a lack of heated bed is the equivalent of no power steering

proctor_richard wrote:

id be intrested to know the design process that went into deciding not to include a heated bed on the workbench amateur. consideraing a heated is essentialy just... a power resistor it really does come off as not giving a crap to not include one. considering just how essential it is. with 3d printers now a lack of heated bed is the equivalent of no power steering

Remember the good old days of no power steering?  Forearms of steel just to get out of the parking lot wink
I personally would rather add my own heated platform as the ones they use are barely adequate anyway.

49 (edited by leonmf 2014-08-06 17:52:09)

Over the last year or so, I've almost pulled the the trigger on the 3 and the 4.  I even almost pulled the trigger on the Press (along with my Workbench) just because good price.  Ultimately, I ordered a Workbench model for the dual extruders and build size.

I currently have a Robo3D which I was modifying the moment I took it out of the box.  I replaced the extruder, Y carriage, power supply, RAMPS board (some Taurino boards are not compatible with OSX), added an LCD, changed to metric rods, and more before I got to a place I was happy with.  I fear to add up the total cost but I'm guessing it is in excess of $1300.  My fervent hope is that I'll be able to pull the Solidoodle Workbench out of the box and get high quality prints without having to start replacing components. 

I have slight trepidation because of the negative reviews around build and print quality on previous models.  In digging through the internet, I've noticed that people have problems with z-wobble, poor structural integrity on the pulley mounts, extruder issues, etc.  I'm going out on a limb 8 weeks in advance and hoping they've ramped up the build quality significantly with the increased price of the workbench model and that my dreams of a large format plug and play-ish experience will be realized. 

(I also hope that there is an easy way to add an SD card reader and LCD because I'm not leaving my computer hooked to my printer all the time.  Maybe an OctoPi, but not my computer!)

Boots Industries v2.5 Delta
Robo 3D with Pico Hot End, ViKi LCD, OctoPi, EZStruder, Precision Rods, Extended Z Height

50 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-08-06 18:31:34)

A video of the Dual extruders in action.

And the Auto-Calibration.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.