Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

Anyone notice the implementation of Sd's version of a pillow block on the Y-axis rod?
And you thought they weren't listening wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

MacGyverX wrote:

A video of the Dual extruders in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2yylD9LPMY And the Auto-Calibration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lp1k67B_HM

There's significant part warp in the bed "leveling" video (this is the wrong term by the way, the bed is not being leveled, it is being compensated for in software), and it looks like rather than use an inductive probe, they're using a mechanical switch - which means it will be on the same plane as the nozzle, and drag through the print.

Le sigh.

Nice pillow block!  Was that a finger coming down to position the probe in the first couple seconds of the video?  How did it go back up to be out of the way of the nozzle?  It looks like they eliminated the servo motor.  So many questions!

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

I was expecting the nozzle to go past the edge of the bed on the left so it could drop lower than the bed and push the probe higher.  However it is possible that touching the nozzle to the bed raises the probe high enough that its magnet can pull it up an extra mm or two above nozzle height.

One of the renderings of the Apprentice shows something that looks like a dual extruder version of my nozzle fan duct, though it doesn't appear in the videos.  I hope something like that ends up in the final version.

To me, the probe is dragging the bed - at least that what I think I see 50 seconds in before it goes into hyper speed.

56 (edited by mdrVB6 2014-08-06 19:14:17)

elmoret wrote:

To me, the probe is dragging the bed - at least that what I think I see 50 seconds in before it goes into hyper speed.

That would be, like, really freaking unacceptable.  I sure hope that is not the case.  I think I saw a finger push it into position in the beginning.  Perhaps you have to manually move it out of the way when it is done too?  I get that a servo motor is another component that could break but a manual probe looks like it would have an entire new set of issues.  Precise positioning, for one.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

1st video shows an acrylic bed not heated nor glass and thats not the intended use of duel extruders.
the 2nd video does show the touch finger near dragging which other Delta types have a much better design of this.
also the beds that are heated are not full surface type as many here have been upgrading our own SD2/SD3 to, but the same single center resister used in SD1 4x4 plate. which dont work well even on 6x6 much less 12x12. furthermore the SD3/4 rarely can print full 8x8x8 objects without issues due to other needed features not present to aid error free printing for more than a couple hours (slow as printing is still an 8x8x8 print would take in excess of 24 hours and 12x12x12 at least double that. I think my SD2 is far as the current features can handle and plenty big for over 90% of what users need in an extruder type 3D printer ATM.
I think Solidoodle should work on mods for the SD2/3 that they have yet to offer on these 3 new models. we have been spending more doing mods than cost of printers already. just seems Solidoodle really hasnt listened to crys from their patrons. look at GM they offer option packages on cars.
they should use great caution going down the "idiot proof/child proof" 3D printer sales path there are multitudes of laws they have to comply with to avoid catastrophic lawsuit's. especially with hazards like Toxic fumes  and extreme heat conditions. that cant be ignored. maybe SD needs to use us as an R&D dept.

Mitch

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

58 (edited by n2ri 2014-08-06 19:42:44)

what settings would need to be used in order to use 1 of the duel extruders for desolvable support material?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Repetier host and sli3r have drop down menus for multi extruders already

elmoret wrote:
MacGyverX wrote:

A video of the Dual extruders in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2yylD9LPMY And the Auto-Calibration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lp1k67B_HM

There's significant part warp in the bed "leveling" video (this is the wrong term by the way, the bed is not being leveled, it is being compensated for in software), and it looks like rather than use an inductive probe, they're using a mechanical switch - which means it will be on the same plane as the nozzle, and drag through the print.

Le sigh.

Not big fan of inductive probes here, they only work with a bed made of conductive material, which defeats its most useful purpose (which is to use different glasses or materials for printing without recalibrating the z endstop, leveling the bed is not really that much of an issue, you do it once in two mins and you are good for a while).

But the implementation of the probe is appalling, and it definitely drags... I sure hope it was just a test version and not the final product. If you don't want to use a servo, use a solenoid.

elmoret wrote:
MacGyverX wrote:

Le sigh.

The probe is slipped into an out of the way position by the printer, before printing. No servo needed. In practice, it does not drag through the print.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

In the video it looks like it dragged a bit of skirt that peeled up.   It didn't help that the bed was so tilted the probe was downhill from the nozzle.

yes look at delta printers with auto leveling and see how they move to edge of base so finger gets flipped way up above the head by a stand at side b4 beginning print.

anyone know what dissolving support material property's are as for melt temp settings etc? and MSDS for the material?

You can use HIPS which dissolves in limonene, PVA which dissolves in water (very hard to keep dry for printing and doesn't stick) or PLA which dissolves in lye.    All three will work faster if you can keep the solvent heated.

IanJohnson wrote:

You can use HIPS which dissolves in limonene, PVA which dissolves in water (very hard to keep dry for printing and doesn't stick) or PLA which dissolves in lye.    All three will work faster if you can keep the solvent heated.

what temps do HIPS and PVA work in and who sells them at best cost?

n2ri wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

what temps do HIPS and PVA work in and who sells them at best cost?

Create a new thread for this (and do some searching). Waaayyy off topic...

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

i think the important consideration is  are there support materials which do not require heated beds? i hope that one of the first few mods to come for the SD workbench AM is for e3d v6 support.

am i the only ones who woudl freak out with enjoyment if SD and e3d started official collab with upgrade options? guessing it would be clear that invalidates warranties and all that but hey.. " with the maker in mind"

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

69 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-08-08 17:27:41)

I for one is looking forward to actual pictures of the printers. Not 3D renders. i.e. I was told that the filament loads on the top of the SD Press. But none of the images really show that. It looks like you have the main door in the front of the unit, then a 'metal' clasp that opens a secondary door that exposes the location for the filament on top above the hotend.

I think everyone here is looking for details.
Are they still using the Printrboards? If not what?
Is the board in the SD Press SD designed/Build by SD or something else?
Are the parts for the newer printers going to be available as purchasable parts just as the SD2/3/4 were?
When is the EOL for the SD2/3?

That's all I got. But I am sure other folks have more.

As a side note- It would be cool if we can get a proper Q & A with a SD rep.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Darn.... I was gonna buy a sd3, now there are three new models...the workbench series look very good.

Hey everyone,

I’m Ryan and I work as an Engineering Tech at Solidoodle. First off, thanks for all your interest and enthusiasm in our new products. There’s been a lot of questions so I hope I can clear some things up.

The Press has an injection molded enclosure with a door. The motherboard is a new design specifically for the Press, and the extruder has also been completely redesigned. The build platform is a new design and is driven by a machine threaded rod embedded into the Z-motor. All belts are closed loop, so tension should be less of an issue. There will be an exhaust fan with a carbon filter.

The Workbench models are similar to what you’re used to from previous models with an open metal frame. The extruder mount now rides on linear bearings, and the Y-axis is driven by closed loop belts. The rear rod is supported by a pillow block as has been pointed out from the video. The acrylic jigsaw extruder is a thing of the past since the SD4 - the Workbench models use the newer and much simpler design. The Workbench also uses a machine threaded embedded Z rod.

All models will come with a removable glass bed, a cooling fan for the electronics, and SoliTouch. To address concerns about the probe - it locks back up into place above the nozzle and will not drag on the bed.

Again, thanks to all for being so involved here on the forum. We’re very excited about the new models and will try to answer other questions you have about them.

Former Solidoodle employee

Thanks soliryan.

One other question about the SD Press. Will it work with 3rd party software? (As in can I use my existing workflow with my SD2 with it). And does it have any fans on the hotend? And is it gcode controlled?

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

MacGyverX wrote:

Thanks soliryan.

One other question about the SD Press. Will it work with 3rd party software? (As in can I use my existing workflow with my SD2 with it). And does it have any fans on the hotend? And is it gcode controlled?

Yes it will work with other software, although SoliPrint has been designed somewhat to be packaged with the Press to complement the simple design and ease of use.
It does not come with a fan on the hotend, but the board will have a PWM header so there's always room for add-ons and possible future improvements.
Yes, it is g-code controlled.

Former Solidoodle employee

One of the renders for the Apprentice showed what looked like a nozzle fan, but it's not in the videos.  Is such a thing making it into the final version?

It looks like most of the things I don't like about Solidoodles has been addressed.  Is there still a PTFE slider on the right carriage?  Having that carriage held on to the rod at a single point allowed it to rotate, so the X axis could twist forward and back, depending on how tight the belts were.  By the time the belts were tight enough to make it stable, the Y axis couldn't move.  The only other other change I would want to see is aluminum pulley mounts at the front.  Printed ones seem to become more flexible over time.  I could never get front and back walls as smooth as side walls, possibly due to flex in the Y axis.

Do you know if the new electronics include drivers that can do 1/32 microstepping?  That has a big impact on print quality and Solidoodle's characteristic moire.

soliryan wrote:

The motherboard is a new design specifically for the Press,

What uC?