126 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-08-20 22:22:12)

Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

I emailed support and asked a couple questions about the Press (as this is the model I snatched up) And this is the reply I got.

'Thank you for reaching out to us.

The hot end on the SD Press is completely redesigned and contains now acrylics or printed parts.

Here is a list of differences between the Press and the SD4/Workbench model printers.

The enclosure of the Press is injection molded plastic, not a metal frame like the Workbench models.

The Press extruder is an all metal design with an enclosure that is exclusive to the Press. It does not have a PEEK.

All of the components on the Press, including the wiring, are enclosed and not accessible.

The X belt on the Press model is a closed loop design.

The Press is also belt driven with closed loop belts.

The motherboard on the Press is a different design than the Workbench models.

The Press heated bed has a glass sheet that can easily be slipped in and locked in place. The Workbench models have easily removable glass, but can also use the aluminum build plate (with Kapton Tape) as the print surface. Glass is the primary printing surface on the Press as opposed to the Workbench models that have a glass plate attached to the aluminum build plate.

All non-metal parts are injection molded parts. The other models have plastic parts as well that are 3D printed instead of injection molded parts.

The SoliTouch technology functions in the same way, but is designed differently than on the other models.

There is an on/off button for the Press that is available on the other models.

The spool holder for the Press is inside the machine and can only hold a spool that is proprietary to this model. There is an opening for other spools, but the Press does not have an external spool holder. A spool holder would need to be made by the customer who wishes to use a different spool of filament. (Please read our warranty in regards to 3rd party filament)

On the Press, there is only 1 fan on the extruder, another for the exhaust and a third for the motherboard

Solidoodle 3D printers are meant to be paired with SoliPrint software, but can be used with Repetier Host, if prefered.

The Press has a machine threaded embedded rod.

The Press has a cartridge heater for the extruder.'

Lines 1 & 4 somewhat contradict each other.

Although they did not answer some of my questions directly. (If the spool size for the press was similar to the MakerBot's 'thin' spools. And if the spools they carry now are compatible.) I believe the response I got was 'canned', But there was a lot of info I didn't know about and figure I should share that with the community.

I do have to say, The response time was pretty stellar. From the time I sent the email and got a reply was just under 30 mins.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

I wonder if they're rebranding the Press, or outsourced the design/mfg to someone else. Seems so odd to not share parts across your lineup.

That would explain the 'presale' price. Get a small run done to get the manufacturing issues cleared up.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

That makes sense.  The SD2 SD3 and SD4 are similar enough that you could send them down the same assembly line with small tweaks, but the Press is pretty different.  They will probably make a big push to get the press into brick and mortar retailers, and the might have found an outside manufacturer that can scale up to the volume that would require.

many things about the press resemble the "Sculptify David" printer

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

Except for the bed mechanics, the extruder mechanics, the main board, the chassis material, the drive system...

I guess they're both black?

132 (edited by n2ri 2014-08-21 00:43:25)

has similar glass bed with release, loads at top, has start button on top, new software design, and yes looks/color ;^)
OH and both have new type auto leveling

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

133 (edited by Rincewind 2014-08-21 05:33:34)

MacGyverX wrote:

Lines 1 & 4 somewhat contradict each other.

I guess what they meant to say is:

The extruder on the SD Press is completely redesigned and contains no acrylics or printed parts.
The Press hot end is an all metal design with an enclosure that is exclusive to the Press. It does not have a PEEK.

134 (edited by thatdecade 2014-08-21 17:58:04)

MacGyverX wrote:

Although they did not answer some of my questions directly. (If the spool size for the press was similar to the MakerBot's 'thin' spools. And if the spools they carry now are compatible.)

I would like to know the same thing.  Are the spools currently sold by SD compatible with the Press without a homemade spool holder?

Another thing to keep in mind, from the filament product page:
"This 2 lb spool of 1.75mm ABS filament is compatible with all Solidoodle 3D printers"
solidoodle.com/filament

the press / workbench difference seems to be a smart way to work the product line. I think us makers must acknowledge that not everyone is like us and some people want /need a simple 3d printing station.

i had one query. if the press extruder is all metal does it contain a pipe guide like the e3d v6 for using filaments like ninjaflex? if so the press is going to be very awesome.

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

Hello all,

My name is Edrick and while I have been working at Solidoodle for some time now, this is my first post here.

I wanted to send a correction on the list of differences between the SD4/Workbench models and the Press. I do apologize for having sent the wrong version, what I sent you was actually the "rough draft". I wanted to give you guys as detailed a list as I could with the differences.

Here is a list of differences between the Press and the SD4/Workbench model printers.

The enclosure of the Press is injection molded plastic, not a metal frame like the Workbench models.

The Press extruder is an all metal design with an enclosure that is exclusive to the Press.  It does not have a PEEK.

All of the components on the Press, including the wiring, are enclosed and not accessible.

The X belt on the Workbench models is a closed loop design.

The Press is also belt driven with closed loop belts.

The motherboard on the Press is a different design than the Workbench models.

The Press heated bed has a glass sheet that can easily be slipped in and locked in place.  The Workbench models have easily removable glass, but can also use the aluminum build plate (with Kapton Tape) as the print surface.  This is the primary printing surface on the Press as opposed to the Workbench models that have a glass plate attached to the aluminum build plate.

All non-metal parts are injection molded parts.  The other models have plastic parts as well that are 3D printed instead of injection molded parts.

The SoliTouch technology functions in the same way, but is designed differently than on the other models. 

There is an on/off button for the Press that is available on the other models.

The spool holder for the Press is inside the machine and can only hold a spool that is proprietary to this model.  There is an opening for other spools, but the Press does not have an external spool holder.  A spool holder would need to be made by the customer who wishes to use a different spool of filament.

On the Press, there is only 1 fan on the extruder, another for the exhaust and a third for the motherboard

Solidoodle 3D printers are meant to be paired with SoliPrint software, but can be used with Repetier Host, if prefered.

The Press has a machine threaded embedded rod.

The press has a cartridge heater for the extruder.

The above is our "canned" response. To answer the question of the spools, our current spools will not fit inside the SD Press. A new spool has been designed to fit in the Press. As you guys know, we've had a few different spools over the years so these would need to be fed from the outside.

I know you guys have plenty more questions than we have answers for you at this time but more will come. Hope this revised list helps.

Former Solidoodle employee

Thank you so much for the great information! My only real question is how you mentioned the motherboard not being accessible. My main question is whether it's just enclosed but a compartment can be popped off or is it truly not accessible without a dremel or something? My only main concern with that is if something goes wrong, we wouldn't be able to fix it and if someone wanted to add an lcd screen or fans, that wouldn't be accessible. Is this really how it is? If so, it's okay. Just curious.

I'm also curious as to when the filament spools will be available for the press. I have already ordered my press and would like to order a few spools of matetial. Hopefully they can ship at the same time to save $$ on shipping.

MLA wrote:

I'm also curious as to when the filament spools will be available for the press. I have already ordered my press and would like to order a few spools of matetial. Hopefully they can ship at the same time to save $$ on shipping.

yes since warranty is void if other brands used and thats only 60 days from purchase

support told me that extra filament for the press will be ship separately and will cost about the same as filament they have online now. but diffrent category for the press when its realeased

n2ri wrote:

well the main thing about the david is they using pellets and that printer cost 2700us
cant see many thing alike tongue

some closeup shots of the all metal extruder would be AWESOME.

also does it feature a filament guide straight down to be able to use stuff like ninjaflex?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

Hey guys,

I wanted to clarify another thing about the spools of filament we have online. We simply have not created a separate category for the Press filament. When you order filament with your Press order, the guys will know what to ship you. We will create the separate category in the near future.

If you have placed an order and want to add filament, simply send us a request at support.solidoodle.com or e-mail us at [email protected].

Regarding the warranty being voided, there is another thread on here in which Sam commented on to clarify this. Only that which happens attributable to the 3rd part filament or non-supported filament (For now it is only ABS and PLA) will void the warranty on extruder components. In his example, a belt snapping is very unlikely to be attributed to filament in general so you will not void your warranty on other components.

We are doing more testing with other filaments. We aren't prepared to fully support other filament types just yet. We just need to do some more testing.

The Press has been designed for plug and print. Components are "accessible" if disassembled but keep in mind, it is a more mainstream consumer design and like many things there, it's not intended for you guys to have to get into the guts of it (I know most of you would like to but that is another conversation wink

Former Solidoodle employee

Thank you so much for getting back with us on this!

SoliEdrick wrote:

When you order filament with your Press order, the guys will know what to ship you.

Exactly what I needed to know.  Thanks.

I ordered a filament spool with my press and I will receive the correct spool that will fit my press.

SoliEdrick wrote:

When you order filament with your Press order, the guys will know what to ship you. We will create the separate category in the near future.

Thanks again for answering so many of our questions, but I have another!
Since the filament for the press is the same price as standard solidoodle filament, is the price per weight still the same?
Will we be receiving 1kg spools for the same price?

147 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-08-22 20:52:38)

I was going to ask the same question as MLA.

Are the official spools for the Press going have the 'standard' amount of filament? (1kg/2.2lbs) or are they going to have less filament? (Hence the proprietary spool). (i.e. XYZprinting's 600g cartridge or Makerbot's 'small' spool for the MB Mini.)

Wowza 3 more machines, this sounds interesting.
Solidoodle WorkBench , this will direct compete with Makert replicator 2x :=)

www.3dfilamenta.com - Affordable filament

oklok wrote:

Wowza 3 more machines, this sounds interesting.
Solidoodle WorkBench , this will direct compete with Makert replicator 2x :=)

By directly competes you mean its substantially bigger build area ? (12" x 12" x 12" vs 2x's 11.2" x 6" x 6")
Or its lack of enclosure compared to the 2x ?
Or the lack of LCD display on the workbench ?

The only 'competing' factor I see is dual-extruder; of which the 2x is hardly a market leader.....

Anyone have link to SoliPrint software ? so one can read about it..