Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

Facebook page says the Apprentice will have a heated platform.  Excluding it didn't make much sense.

IanJohnson wrote:

Do you know if the new electronics include drivers that can do 1/32 microstepping?  That has a big impact on print quality and Solidoodle's characteristic moire.

I really hope they address this.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

IanJohnson wrote:

The only other other change I would want to see is aluminum pulley mounts at the front.

Workbench will have aluminum pulley mounts.

IanJohnson wrote:

Do you know if the new electronics include drivers that can do 1/32 microstepping? That has a big impact on print quality and Solidoodle's characteristic moire.

Properly set trimpots also have a big impact on this, especially for the extruder motor.

IanJohnson wrote:

Facebook page says the Apprentice will have a heated platform.  Excluding it didn't make much sense.

Confirmed. Apprentice will have a 6x6" heated bed.

Former Solidoodle employee

@soliryan,

Thank you for coming and posting the technical specifications that you have.  It increases confidence in my Workbench purchase dramatically. 

Thank you for taking the time to give us this information.

Boots Industries v2.5 Delta
Robo 3D with Pico Hot End, ViKi LCD, OctoPi, EZStruder, Precision Rods, Extended Z Height

Even though this is "Good News"...

I'm now very, very sad that I bought an SD3 last December.   sad

Two SD3s - One with Sang, One with Printrboard, Fans on control boards!!! Do this!!!, Dual Glass Beds, Blacklight "EZ Bake Oven" - Improves Ambient Temp, Sketchup, Repetier, Slic3r. Graphic Designer & Makeshift Engineer. Drinks Lots and Lots and Lots of Rum.

elmoret wrote:
soliryan wrote:

The motherboard is a new design specifically for the Press,

What uC?

What are the Max temps on the extruders?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

230C, they already published that. Still PEEK based.

soliryan wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

Do you know if the new electronics include drivers that can do 1/32 microstepping? That has a big impact on print quality and Solidoodle's characteristic moire.

Properly set trimpots also have a big impact on this, especially for the extruder motor.

You must be new around here.

elmoret wrote:
soliryan wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

You must be new around here.

HeHe.. Be nice now wink just another poor SD employee trying to smooth over another known issue that SD has chosen to ignore.  Most likely a cost issue and he has an obligation to protect his bosses bottom line.  I've always said the best job security is profitability. big_smile

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

The difference is a buck apiece. You only need one on the extruder stepper.

87 (edited by n2ri 2014-08-08 04:28:07)

LOL you guys kill me with how ya kid the new guys. I feel much better about the Aprentice now but have a couple more Qs.

1. has the board got at least a place to plug in the hot end cooling fan G-code controlled finally without soldering on board at several spots chancing melting board?

2. is there a bigger wattage power supply available for powering said fan and vent fan with filter that has mounting holes in back?

also where can we find more details on specs of new extruders. and whats in the 2 black boxes on new printers?

as for comments others made of regret buying earlier models, yeah maybe due to lower cost or improvements on same models right after. but I feel my SD2 was just my learning tool getting into a totally new industry like tuition in a tech school including lab supplies but at 1/3rd what others charged for same. any body with a trade has more than 1 set of tools for it and upgrades to better when available. this is not just a toy/hobby for rich kids. this is a whole new owner operated business for most on sites like this.

thanks Ryan for sharing with us about our concerns over the new tools of our trade! and thanks Sam for hiring such sincere dedicated employees in this joint venture into UN-chartered territory. its a very rare thing to see these days.

Mitch

P.S. Ryan what they where saying is Ian has been redesigning these things longer than Sam so he wont accept short simple answers hehe. thats why we all treasure his thoughts and ideas

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

LOL you guys kill me with how ya kid the new guys. I feel much better about the Aprentice now but have a couple more Qs.

1. has the board got at least a place to plug in the hot end cooling fan G-code controlled finally without soldering on board at several spots chancing melting board?

Yes, already answered in this thread.

n2ri wrote:

2. is there a bigger wattage power supply available for powering said fan and vent fan with filter that has mounting holes in back?

Power supply info has already been posted also.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4860274/ … _Sheet.pdf

elmoret wrote:
n2ri wrote:

Yes, already answered in this thread.

n2ri wrote:

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4860274/ … _Sheet.pdf

yes but its the same power pack my SD2 has, on the apprentice. thats why I asked if theres an upgrade available since SD techs told me that power pack wont handle any extra fans/mods on my SD2. yet they put a whole extra extruder with fan on it.

Ian uses much bigger power supply with his heavly modified printer. I figured the black box inside was power supply and the box hanging on back was board to keep it cooler. if you inclose the printer it gets pretty warm inside when printing even with 1 extruder. another reason for having the vent fan on back to draw hot air out and fresh air in around gaps on door etc.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

anyone else having probs posting on here around this time of day? its like the site shuts down then next day either multi posts got posted or none.

elmoret wrote:

The difference is a buck apiece. You only need one on the extruder stepper.

wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

elmoret wrote:
n2ri wrote:

Some of this info is incorrect. Apprentice will use 150W.

Former Solidoodle employee

elmoret wrote:
soliryan wrote:

The motherboard is a new design specifically for the Press,

What uC?

soliryan wrote:
elmoret wrote:
n2ri wrote:

Nice.

By the way if the supply produces 150w, it consumes more than 150w. Unless you've found a way to produce a power supply with efficiency of 100%.

soliryan wrote:

Hey everyone,

"The Press has an injection molded enclosure with a door. The motherboard is a new design specifically for the Press, and the extruder has also been completely redesigned. The build platform is a new design and is driven by a machine threaded rod embedded into the Z-motor. All belts are closed loop, so tension should be less of an issue. There will be an exhaust fan with a carbon filter."

I'm new to 3dprinting and planning to buy the Press,  after some reading it seems that PLA needs to have a fan w/nozzle .
Will it void the warranty it a fan was added, is it considered a modification? I'm just planning to print PLA most of the time.

soliryan wrote:
elmoret wrote:
n2ri wrote:

150W is 12.5A. Same as the SD4 and I believe, the SD3. It is the power pack I got with mine anyway. From what I understood, the heated bed alone will draw almost 10A. This is why we upgrade it because it is barely enough. The power supply on the SD2 was even smaller than that? Of course without the heated bed, it is probably plenty.

What would be awesome is a DIY Dual extruder upgrade kit for the SD2, SD3, and SD4. Or even sell the parts seperate. Is such a thing even possible? I wonder if we could buy the dual extruder direct feed mechnism and a new board and be able to dual extruder on a SD2 for example.

I like how the workbench seems to have a dual direct feed extuders. I want to get that on my SD2 somehow...

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Retroplayer wrote:
soliryan wrote:
elmoret wrote:

150W is 12.5A. Same as the SD4 and I believe, the SD3. It is the power pack I got with mine anyway. From what I understood, the heated bed alone will draw almost 10A. This is why we upgrade it because it is barely enough. The power supply on the SD2 was even smaller than that? Of course without the heated bed, it is probably plenty.

my SD2 came with the heated bed option as it was the deluxe kit. thats why I think power supplies are still being short changed/not calculated right for printers with all options

weeiiee wrote:
soliryan wrote:

Hey everyone,

"The Press has an injection molded enclosure with a door. The motherboard is a new design specifically for the Press, and the extruder has also been completely redesigned. The build platform is a new design and is driven by a machine threaded rod embedded into the Z-motor. All belts are closed loop, so tension should be less of an issue. There will be an exhaust fan with a carbon filter."

I'm new to 3dprinting and planning to buy the Press,  after some reading it seems that PLA needs to have a fan w/nozzle .
Will it void the warranty it a fan was added, is it considered a modification? I'm just planning to print PLA most of the time.

you may want to also note the specs on 'Press' say its designed for propryatory filament cartriges like makerbot and some others which limit selections while raising cost so not a good printer for anyone wishing to sell prints to say the least.

So far, the only thing I'm not happy about hearing is the low temperature PEEK hot ends.  I'm hoping it's a relatively straightforward mod to add better hot ends. 

Seriously Solidoodle, charge me more to put better components in my printer.  It'll be cheaper than me having to do it after the fact!  It seems you guys are slowly learning this but the lack of LCD/SD card, PEEK hot ends is confusing to me.  That said, this stuff is far easier to deal with than having to retrofit the motion mechanics.

Boots Industries v2.5 Delta
Robo 3D with Pico Hot End, ViKi LCD, OctoPi, EZStruder, Precision Rods, Extended Z Height