Re: E3Dv6 on Solidoodle Press

Does that have enough clearance to make it to the 4 corners of the print area?  Is so, it means you didn't use enough fans.  Looks good!

so, soldering my TinyUSB now. 

where do you plug this thing into the board on the Press?  i see two empty 6 pin plugs on the board.

ok, USBtiny is completed.  drivers are installed.  and running in avrdude

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m8

gets me back the proper initialization failed message. so i assume at this point i am good to go here.  i was going to plug it into the Press' board but i dont want to plug it into the wrong 6 pin socket and do some sort of damage.  please advise.  would love to get this thing to print this evening.

also, for those going the USBtiny route.

in this thread is how i installed the drivers necessary for the programmer.
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph … mp;t=17112

it seems as if the link on adafruits website is dead for these drivers.

This is from the other thread:

"The right header is for the ATTINY2313 (Pin 1 is right) the left header is for the AT90USB1286 (Pin 1 is left). The ATTINY2313 can be pulled directly (no jumpers) but the AT90USB1286 needs a jumper in JP1 in order for you to pull the firmware."

I see. I will try and make sure its connected properly tomorrow. Then attempt to flash it. When the usbtiny is connected to the board is it normal for the green light on it to turn off?

Also. Before running this in avrdude

avrdude -c avrisp -b 250000 -i 10 -p AT90USB1286 -P /dev/ttyACM0 -F -U flash:w:Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex:i

Its mentioned to navigate to the folder that the modified .hex file is in. Is that done in the command prompt window using avrdude?

You need to replace the '/dev/ttyACM0' with the windows equant and pointed to the com port of your avr programmer

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Ok. So. I would replace that with....for example here...

cd C:\Users\Zerb\Desktop\HID Bootloader

If that was in fact where the modified hex file was on my PC.

jonzerb wrote:

Ok. So. I would replace that with....for example here...

cd C:\Users\Zerb\Desktop\HID Bootloader

If that was in fact where the modified hex file was on my PC.

No, it would be something like COM1. /dev/ttySx is what Unix systems typically call com ports.

alright.  before i attempt this i just want to make sure ive figured this properly here. 
first off, i assume that viewing the board this was the 6 pin header i want to connect the usbtiny to is the one on the left hand side of the picture labeled 1
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/zerrb/Proper%20Head%20for%20flash_zpshlhopbqc.jpg

so, i plug the connector in like so, no jumper in JP1
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/zerrb/20150305_211444_zpsp6odscs1.jpg

in avrdude, to make sure i have a proper connection i type in

avrdude -c usbtiny -p usb1286

to which i get a response of
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions.

if i place the jumper in JP1 and type in the same command as above i get the same response. so im assuming im on the right track here. 

now for the flashing firmware from what ive read i assume i would type.

avrdude -c usbtiny -p usb1286 -u flash:w:C:\Users\Zerb\Desktop\Solidoodle-Press-E3D-v6-master\Firmware\Prepped for E3D v6\HEX:i

i would just outright ask for someone to tell me how to do this, but i figured i would at least go as far as i felt comfortable and post up here before i actually went ahead and tried to flash anything.

My AVR was shipped into a snowed-in area and then "Delayed due to weather".  The snowed it area was twice the distance of just shipping it to me.

Did you order a USBTINY as well?

I haven't tried to flash anything because I'm still not sure if my above process is the proper way to do it and I don't want to brick anything.

jonzerb wrote:

Did you order a USBTINY as well?

I haven't tried to flash anything because I'm still not sure if my above process is the proper way to do it and I don't want to brick anything.

Sparkfun's pocket avr through amazon. Hopefully it gets here today.

Awesome. Well if you get it to work let me know what code you use in avrdude to flash the board. Again, I'm totally new at this so I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing this properly.

jonzerb wrote:

Awesome. Well if you get it to work let me know what code you use in avrdude to flash the board. Again, I'm totally new at this so I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing this properly.

Absolutely!

Anyone who used the AVR programmer. Did you need to set the fuses first and load a boot loader prior to flashing? Or did you simply just flash the firmware?

I see this is the method that people used on the older solidoodle boards. Just wondering If this is the same or not.

//Set fuses
avrdude -c usbtiny -p at90usb1286 -U lfuse:w:0xde:m -U hfuse:w:0xdb:m -U efuse:w:0xf0:m
// Flash bootloader
avrdude -c usbtiny -p at90usb1286 -U flash:w:BootloaderHID.hex:i
// flash firmware (not necessary, best done with USB)
avrdude -D -c usbtiny -p at90usb1286 -U flash:w:Solidoodle2_6142013.cpp.hex:i

267 (edited by slovenian6474 2015-03-08 20:11:19)

So UPS has yet to deliver the pocket avr.  I don't think that'll work anyways so I picked up the ArduinoISP.  Not sure what -c in avrdude to use.  The only thing I can get a response from is avrisp.  I get this response.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Well, spent all day on this.  Haven't gotten anywhere.  Giving up for today.

Make sure that the orientation of the ISCP connector is correct. And you have the correct programmer chosen in the command line.

Not understanding why this is so hard for some folks.

Dream-Cypher, You were able to do it in Windows right? Did you have the same issues as the other folks here? It seemed like it worked as expected for you.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

It's hard for me. Because this is a bit out of my wheel house so to speak. Just being honest.

MacGyverX wrote:

Not understanding why this is so hard for some folks.

You and me both! 

Alright, doing this from the RPi.  I hooked up the ArduinoISP via USB to the RPi.

using
avrdude -c avrisp -p at90usb1286

it returns
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/ttyS0": No such file or directory

That's about as far as I could get on the RPi.

271 (edited by jonzerb 2015-03-08 21:19:59)

ok, heres my latest attempt. 

C:\Users\Zerb>avrdude -c usbtiny -p usb1286 -U flash:Solidoodle_Press_Modified_F
irmware.cpp.hex:i
avrdude: invalid I/O mode 'S' in update specification
  allowed values are:
    r = read device
    w = write device
    v = verify device
avrdude: error parsing update operation 'flash:Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmwar
e.cpp.hex:i'

and now, seems as if bad things just happened

realized i forgot the :w: between flash and the :Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex and now it looks like ive totally fucked myself because the chip seemed to erase, but not flash the new firmware, unplugging everything and turning the printer on i now have zilch for connection.   printer powers up, but no communication.

C:\Users\Zerb>avrdude -c usbtiny -p usb1286 -U flash:w:Solidoodle_Press_Modified
_Firmware.cpp.hex:i
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9782
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex"
avrdude: can't open input file Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex: No su
ch file or directory
avrdude: write to file 'Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex' failed
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK
avrdude done.  Thank you.

273 (edited by slovenian6474 2015-03-08 21:26:43)

is the hex file located in C:\users\zerb directory? 
Can you use
....flash:w:"c:\users\zerb\Solidoodle_Press_Modified
_Firmware.cpp.hex":i

or whatever directory you put it in.

i put the file directly in the Computer>Local Disk (C:)>   folder.

Try this out.

avrdude -c usbtiny -p usb1286 -U flash:w:"c:\Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex":i