Re: E3Dv6 on Solidoodle Press

Connect the printer to RH and look at the VERSION_CONFIG_H (Compile date) banner. If it has a date from this year- Then that's mine. If it has a date from last year that's the stock shipping firmware.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

MacGyverX wrote:

Yeah the alignment of the hobbed gear is crucial.

Easiest way I've found to get the drive wheel alignment right on the stock build is to stuff a piece of filament in the path before tightening the grub screw. Not only does it line things up, but it keeps the drive wheel from slipping around while tightening. That's important because if the grub screw isn't square to the flat on the shaft, it'll eventually work its way loose again.

MacGyverX wrote:

Connect the printer to RH and look at the VERSION_CONFIG_H (Compile date) banner. If it has a date from this year- Then that's mine. If it has a date from last year that's the stock shipping firmware.

Where is this in RH?

trayracing wrote:
MacGyverX wrote:

Yeah the alignment of the hobbed gear is crucial.

Easiest way I've found to get the drive wheel alignment right on the stock build is to stuff a piece of filament in the path before tightening the grub screw. Not only does it line things up, but it keeps the drive wheel from slipping around while tightening. That's important because if the grub screw isn't square to the flat on the shaft, it'll eventually work its way loose again.

this wasnt an issue for me prior to disassembling the head and having to re tension the roller spring.  the roller seems a BIT, really just a wee little bit, crooked in reference to being straight on with the surface of the groove in the drive wheel.  i messed with it for about an hour this evening, and out of pure frustration i almost ripped that little piece of crap out of the printer and went downstairs and just tig welded it right onto the shaft...i am actually this pissed off about the situation. 

ill have to take it all apart tomorrow and see if i can get that roller wheel lined up just a little bit better.  if not, ill have to make sure i leave all of the large hammers downstairs or there may be even more issues that pop up with this printer.

Good news and bad news.  Usbtiny arrived today and was able to send new firmware to printer.  Bad news, it fails the verification with a byte mismatch.

TinyUSB can only read up to 64k. The at90 has more then that. So it can write. But it fails the read.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Mine had the same issue.
avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x10000
         0x2f != 0x0c
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I'm assuming yours booted right up after that?  Mine is no longer recognized on the RPi or Windows.

Yes mine booted up fine. Maybe I unplugged everything first. Then turned it on.

310 (edited by slovenian6474 2015-03-10 02:11:28)

Yup.  Nothing.  I think I'm SOL at this point.

Here's what I got.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Tim>cd\

C:\>cd\avrdude

C:\avrdude>avrdude -D -c usbtiny -p at90usb1286 -U flash:w:Solidoodle_Press_Modi
fied_Firmware.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.03s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9782
avrdude: reading input file "Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (78564 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 44.33s

avrdude: 78564 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.h
ex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware
.cpp.hex:
avrdude: input file Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex contains 78564 by
tes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 41.79s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0002
         0xae != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (E:F0, H:DB, L:DE)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

C:\avrdude>

When you flashed it, The main power needs to be off. BOOT jumper in and USB plugged in.

Have you tried flashing it again?

I've tried reflashing it several times with the stock and modified hex files.  I flashed it with main off, Boot jumper in and usb plugged in but I'll try it again when I get home.

When I flashed mine I unplugged the main power. Plugged the jumper in on the board. Then attached the usbtiny. And the board was powered through the usbtiny. Just to share.

The usbtiny does not provide power. That why the USB cable has to be plugged in.

Interesting. I'm 99 percent certain I didn't have the USB plugged into the board. And had the jumper in the usbtiny and it powered the board.

I know this is how i did it because I used the USB cable that normally goes to the press, for the usbtiny.

*shrug* Okay. If that worked great!

MacGyveryX, are you sure? ISP connectors have power and ground.

The version I have (and linked) in the manual said it did not provide power. I've used it mostly with UNO & MEGA and I've always had to plug in a USB cable in the slave device in order to get power to it so I can flash it.

So, If it's different now. Great. One less step.

319 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-10 23:56:01)

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ4A28114B.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ38A544D4.jpg

https://learn.adafruit.com/system/assets/assets/000/010/326/original/usbtinyisp2sch.png

Then I guess mine is broken or something.

Pololu didn't implement USB powering, but other companies do. That's what JP3 is for in the above schematic.

all i can say is that in the instructions on the usbtiny i recieved last week it said that the jumper on the board, if it was in place, would power whatever the usbtiny was plugged into up to a certain amperage. 

plus this usb that came with the press was the only one in that style that i had, so luckily for me this was the case, lol.

My USBtiny has a switch to provide power or not.  With power on, I can program without additional power.  With it off, I need the USB plugged in.  Tried both methods, same results.

Printed parts now available for both bowden and direct.

http://www.filastruder.com/products/sol … ect-bowden

Profits go to the creator of the mount (MacGyverX) and/or whoever printed the mount (also a community member).