276 (edited by jonzerb 2015-03-08 21:51:54)

Re: E3Dv6 on Solidoodle Press

ok, so that wrote to the chip, and then machine is now recognized by the PC, but within the software the extruder temp is now reading 738c, and as soon as i attempt to turn the heated bed on, it heats for a second then shuts off. 

also im able to home all axis, but once thats done im STILL completely unable to jog anything on any axis.  this has been a problem since the install of the new heater cartridge and thermistor. 

C:\Users\Zerb>avrdude -c usbtiny -p usb1286 -U flash:w:"c:\Solidoodle_Press_Modi
fied_Firmware.cpp.hex":i

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9782
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "c:\Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (78564 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 208.95s

avrdude: 78564 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against c:\Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cp
p.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file c:\Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmw
are.cpp.hex:
avrdude: input file c:\Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex contains 78564
bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 109.38s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x10000
         0x2f != 0x0c
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

C:\Users\Zerb>

edit: going back and looking at my first post with this issue after the new parts install the extruder temp only read 357c, now its reading 738c

just to clarify, when installing the thermistor and heater cartridge...those components dont have a + and - correct?  in all the literature i read online with how to install it there was nothing mentioned about the parts being polarity dependent.

Is it weird that mine reads ~21.6C when turned off without the updated firmware?

Double check your connections from the thermistor to the controller. (As in check to see if the fiberglass sleeve is all the way to the thermistor and the wires are not touching and bare metal i.e. the heater block. Check the crimps to make sure they are not loose. Then check the connector thats on the controller)

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

slovenian6474, With the stock hotend yes. That means you still have the jumper in place.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

just for verifications sake i just installed RH and connected it to the printer and the extruder is reading the same temp. 

also when i attempt to jog either axis on RH i get

Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart (Temperature is reset. Set is after restarting)

Yeah. If the the thermistor is reading the wrong temps- in your case high. Its hitting the MAXTEMP value (which is 300C)

Like I said above. Double check the connections to the thermistor.

MacGyverX wrote:

slovenian6474, With the stock hotend yes. That means you still have the jumper in place.

Wait. What?  What jumper do I have to remove when installing the E3D?

284 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-08 22:10:00)

You said you are reading temps with the printer off. That means you still have the BOOT jump installed.

MacGyverX wrote:

You said you are reading temps with the printer off. That means you still have the BOOT jump still in place.

No.  This is with the E3D installed, no jumper in place, printer on.  Firmware not upgraded.

slovenian6474 wrote:

Is it weird that mine reads ~21.6C when turned off without the updated firmware?

Before you said off.

MacGyverX wrote:
slovenian6474 wrote:

Before you said off.

I mean the extruder heater is off.  Printer is on.  Extruder is off.  It's showing room temperature correctly.

If you have the E3D provided thermistor installed and it reading the correct temps. Then you had to have updated the firmware. The stock thermistor is a different type.

MacGyverX wrote:

If you have the E3D provided thermistor installed and it reading the correct temps. Then you had to have updated the firmware. The stock thermistor is a different type.

What should I expect, temperature wise, if I had the E3D provided termistor and the old firmware?  I'm running the E3D thermistor and have yet to successfully update firmware.   I haven't had the courage to see if it'll go to 200C

idk what it could have been, but i just removed the thermistor, re installed it.  and its reading properly!!

looks like the blue sleeving wasnt all the way down to the very end of the wire on one side.  the other side it was so it wasnt like it was touching there, but perhaps i jammed it in there too far when i first installed it.  anywho, its getting up to temp now and im going to reprint the e3dv6 mount out!  ill run that config print once i get the new hotend on the printer, even if this prints a bit too small this time around ill just machine out the little bit i need to tomorrow at work to get it to work until i find time to make one from aluminum. 
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/zerrb/20150308_180936_zpshxwa5ztf.jpg

Hell yeah!  Glad you finally got it!

Awesome jonzerb! Enjoy your new hotend

wouldntve been able to do it without you guys.  thanks for sticking with me, and my learning curve, until i got this squared away.  much appreciated.

after not using this thing for 2 weeks i forgot how much this grub wheel on the stepper to feed the filament absolutely sucks nuts.  i cant get this thing to test extrude for more then 10mm before it starts to knock and not feed the filament properly. absolute shit in my opinion.

ABS? And what temps are you extruding at?

ABS yes, 230.

Ah. Goto 250.

extrudes a bit nicer, but i have a feeling im going to have to play with the depth of the grub wheel because i moved it when taking everything apart and re assembling. 

also ive read that the set screw on the wheel shouldnt be TIGHT TIGHT, there still needs to be some play in it? is that correct or should it be tight as one can get it with a measly 1.5mm allen key?

Yeah the alignment of the hobbed gear is crucial.

Just tight enough to not slip on the steppers shaft. You don't want to overtighten to the point where it strips the grub screw or were you can never remove it unless you drill it out.

Here are some images to help with the alignment.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ557AA286.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ4A14ABC2.jpg

So I said f* it and tried heating it up and extruding.  Seems to run fine which makes me kind of worried because now I have no idea what I have. Hopefully the TinyISP that is suppose to come tomorrow can help sort it out.