Re: E3Dv6 on Solidoodle Press

Has anyone been able to flash the firmware without a programmer?

202 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-01 21:15:02)

I used a AVR Programmer (specifically a USBtinyISP - http://www.amazon.com/Pololu-POL1300-US … 003XOHVUW/ But I also have the Arduino Branded unit too - http://www.amazon.com/Arduino-A000092-I … 0LUJYI26/) to flash mine. At the house I don't have any Windows boxes. Everything is OS X and Linux. I used my RPi to flash the Press' controller via the tiny.

It was the matter of compiling, moving the hex to the RPi and using avrdude to flash. This is mostly due to the fact that I am running OctoPrint and that RPi is already connected to the Press. This save me from moving the press from room to room to flash it.
The RPi is not required.

When I get home tonight, I'll create a Windows VM and and yank the board out of the Press, flash it and make a document. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid doing. This is the main reason why the 'If you are not familiar with flashing AVR's...' disclaimer is here and on github. But I don't want to be responsible to people breaking/bricking their printers. You guys have no idea how many email's/PMs I've gotten here, Github and thingiverse about how to flash the firmware. (Heh even threats).

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

I for one would greatly appreciate it. I figured if I read up on the process and followed directions from the wiki's you linked i would have come out Ok, in the end I was wrong.

If this is an absolute major pain I will just purchase a USBTiny and attempt going that route. Just wanted this printer to work sooner then later is all.

No threats here!  I was just seeing if it were possible without the AVR programmer.  Mines already hooked up to the RPi but it is right next to my pc.  I think we were all assuming the bootloader method would work as described

I think that if there is a way we will make it happen.  There are several of us working on this issue for you guys so please be patient.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Patient I will be. Wish I could be printing away, or helping solve this issue at hand.  But on the bright side this gives me more time to machine a hotend adapter out of aluminum versus printing one. And construct a wall mounted filament holder for the Bowden setup as well. Silver lining.

Ugh, I'm almost to the point that I would pay for someone to set this up on mine so I can finally print, 35 days and no successful prints...

208 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-02 16:47:24)

I did this with a fresh Windows XP VM.

I installed Atmel FLIP (http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx - FLIP 3.4.7 for Windows (Java Runtime Environement included)
Then download the HEX (https://github.com/ymilord/Solidoodle-P … re.cpp.hex)
Power off the Press (Unplugged the main power from the PSU Brick)
Placed the BOOT jumper.
Opened the HEX file with the FLIP software.
Selected the target device 'AT90USB1286.'
Then picked the USB as the connection.
The I had Blank Check, Erase & Program checked.
Click the Run Button.
After it finished unplug the USB cable.
Removed the Jumper.
Plug in main power.
Plug in the USB Cable.
Soft power the Press.
Then I connected it to RH and I was able to see the temps and Jog the printer.

I did the steps above a couple times in a row just to make sure.

I moved everything back to my RPi, Same thing I was able to see temps and jog the machine around.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Well. I didn't want to get out of work earlier then normal on a Monday already...

i am sad to report that this isnt working for me.  windows 7 64 bit.  rebooted pc a few times just to see if that helped and no go.  i will try and install XP on a VM and report back later on.  but as of now when i get to the PICKED USB AS THE CONNECTION step, i simply get an error popping up saying that it could not open the usb device

211 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-02 22:30:10)

I revert my VM to an older snapshot and redid the steps. The one things I see that FLIP doing is install a DFU Driver.

To manually install it:

With the Press plugged in (USB Only) and the BOOT pin installed. Goto the Device manager and see you have a USB device that unrecognized. If so, Goto C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\usb\atmel_usb_dfu.inf and use that INF to install that USB driver for that device.

After windows does it's thing, Unplug it and replug (USB) it then try FLIP again.

Man, This is far, far simpler to do in linux or Mac OS X. (Not trolling. Just making a observation.)

I get the same results as jonzerb.  Also I don't see an unrecognized usb device.  Upon plugging in, I get the Teensy USB Serial (com10). 

I feel like this is something stupid like not putting the jumper in the right spot...  It is the little 2 pins next to the USB port right?

I do have the RPi hooked up but a rookie with linux.  I'm not sure how to get the hex file from windows to the RPi.

214 (edited by jonzerb 2015-03-02 22:41:34)

this is my unrecognized device
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/zerrb/Unknown%20Device_zpsk4peevmj.jpg

and upon searching for the driver as told above, folders not there.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/zerrb/Atmel%20Driver_zpsdgekoygg.jpg

ill just peruse the internet to find a fix, youve spent more then enough time on this flashing business already. so dont feel obligated to shoot a response back here.

Okay..

Grab this > http://public.mlabs.us/Press/firmware/A … DRIVER.zip

Extract it and use the INF in that.

nah man.  this shit just isnt working for me.  and its becoming a pain in the ass for you i could only imagine. 

im going in device manager, going to the unknown device, update driver, manually pointing it to that USB folder on my desktop, and its just telling me that windows could not find driver software for my device. 

i assume this has nothing to do with Teensy USB being an issue somehow someway?  just got that from reading a forum post somewhere after googling ATMEL Flip USB connection issues thus why i ask

I think our issue is not getting the board into BOOT mode.

I really don't know what else to tell you. The only thing I can suggest it getting a AVR Programmer. I posted links to the models I used.

I've been so accustom to use it that I never bothered doing this method the first time around. Just plugged in the programmer. And fired a single command line. I am very hesitant to say if this is WinXP thing or not. I only used it cause thats the only Windows ISO I have (and it's mainly used for other things thats windows only i.e. some CAM packages I use)

I'll be heading home in a few. I'll poke around further.

slovenian6474 that is the whole point in placing that jumper. That's putting the board IN boot mode.

slovenian6474 wrote:

I think our issue is not getting the board into BOOT mode.

the issue is the drivers.  far as i can tell here.  im poking around the web for answers as we speak but if nothing comes up by tonight ill be overnighting an USBTiny so this is just done with at this point.

221 (edited by slovenian6474 2015-03-02 23:31:20)

MacGyverX wrote:

slovenian6474 that is the whole point in placing that jumper. That's putting the board IN boot mode.

I understand that.  I would expect windows to identify it as something other than the Teensy USB serial device at that point.   I see no difference with it jumpered or not.  Is it possible it can fail to go into boot mode?

NinjaEdit: In fact, RH can still connect and pull temperatures.

curious, are you using a 64 bit version of windoze?  im reading that the issues, at least for me with my system, could be related to the fact that any driver i install needs to be digitally signed for windows 7 64 bit to install it.

jonzerb wrote:

curious, are you using a 64 bit version of windoze?  im reading that the issues, at least for me with my system, could be related to the fact that any driver i install needs to be digitally signed for windows 7 64 bit to install it.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

from what im reading, im almost 99 percent certain that is our issue here. if i cant locate signed drivers i will attempt this with an install of XP on a VM i guess.

Well, I've got the hex file on the RPi now.  I'm going to try that route.