226 (edited by slovenian6474 2015-03-03 00:20:38)

Re: E3Dv6 on Solidoodle Press

so lsusb shows a VOTI Teensyduino serial.  I understand this indicates it is NOT in bootloader?

This is WITH the jumper in.

If you are attempting to do this without a AVR programmer on the RPi. You are pretty much on your own.
I've have only done it with one.

With that stated.

I get :

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 16c0:0483 VOTI Teensyduino Serial with issuing lsusb via my RPi with the Jumper in place.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

This is doable without an RPI but with an AVR correct?

Got an XP .ISO and VM installed on my pc. But just I'm case that doesn't work, I'm just going to buy an AVR and be done with this if it'll work without needing an RPI.

MacGyverX wrote:

If you are attempting to do this without a AVR programmer on the RPi. You are pretty much on your own.
I've have only done it with one.

With that stated.

I get :

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 16c0:0483 VOTI Teensyduino Serial with issuing lsusb via my RPi with the Jumper in place.

AVR Programmer ordered.  Thanks for the obscenely large amount of help with all of this (and many other threads you've been contributing to) so far, MacGyverX.

slovenian6474 wrote:

Thanks for the obscenely large amount of help with all of this (and many other threads you've been contributing to) so far, MacGyverX.

+1

Yeah you can flash it with only Windows teamed up with a AVR Programmer. And RPi is NOT required.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

I just remembered that I had an old laptop collecting dust in the closet. I'm going to try that, its got XP. Then if not. AVR it is.

233 (edited by jonzerb 2015-03-03 01:55:27)

well, that old laptop did have windows xp and unfortunately it still wasnt working as it should have...im now down one less old laptop :-)

one USBTiny ordered overnight, so hoping to have it Wednesday so that this show can get on the road here. 

Thank you MacGyverX for your patience and guidance in the matter at hand here. Hopefully when the AVR programmer gets here and i assemble it this issue of flashing the firmware will not be an issue any longer.

i know have a bunch more reading to do before Wednesday because this AVR gizmo is foreign to me.

Thanks slovenian6474. Thanks jonzerb.

Sorry it was not as turn key as I hoped.

no worries man, you did say early on that THIS was your method and if other ways dont work its not on you. 

speaking of which, the AVR method i think i saw outlined on your github post?  i just want to make sure hopefully i can get this all done now without posting a shload of questions on here.

So trying out winXP on VM.  I get pretty much the same thing.  It comes through as an unknown USB Serial.  It won't take the atmel_usb_dfu.inf drivers.

slovenian6474 wrote:

So trying out winXP on VM.  I get pretty much the same thing.  It comes through as an unknown USB Serial.  It won't take the atmel_usb_dfu.inf drivers.

Same issue I had on the windows XP laptop I attempted it with. I gave up. Wait a few days. Get an AVR programmer. Hopefully that'll all work out.

This is sort of a major guess on my part since I haven't had a chance to mess around with this yet, but does the unidentified hardware show error 52 when you look at its properties? You can turn off enforcing signed drivers in windows from safe mode if it is.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … =windows-7

I run in to this from time to time at work (Applecare, iphones etc) and this is almost *always* the issue we run in to; Granted, different device, but if its related to signed/unsigned drivers this will probably work either way.

I've been watching this thread from the sidelines, waiting for the clear instructions on how to flash the Press. I was excited to see the Windows instructions that you put together, but then saw all the hassles that people are having with drivers. You mentioned that it is way easier in OS X. Is it possible to upload the firmware via USB? If so, what software would you recommend I use to perform the upload?

Solidoodle Press, Deltamaker, Makerbot, Heavily modified Shapeoko 2 CNC router.

240 (edited by slovenian6474 2015-03-03 14:29:12)

MacGyverX wrote:

Thanks slovenian6474. Thanks jonzerb.

Sorry it was not as turn key as I hoped.

Don't worry about it not being turn key.  I didn't expect the Press to be turn key much less modifying it. 

1 question, when you first flashed it, did you flash a bootloader first?  I'm curious if the board has an accessible bootloader from the factory since the only people to have gotten to work so far used the AVR first.

Didn't touch the bootloader.

MacGyverX wrote:

Didn't touch the bootloader.

Interesting.  I should have the AVR programmer Thursday. I'll see what damage I can do then.

I've made a change to the direct mount for both the Press & the SD2 to work better with flexible filaments. I've also made a similar change on the bowden chassis. (This mod will not matter if you have no intentions of using flexible filaments like NinjaFlex. This only came about because I got a couple spools and I wanted to experiment.)

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ24CC679B.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ62891BED.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ1EEBA2A3.jpg

And this is the mod in application on the SD2 (My E3D came in today, So I figured before I installed in the SD2 i'd take a pic)

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ4D847F59.jpg

NinjaFlex is working 'okay' in the Press. It's a bit jagged. I am pretty sure I can make it work better.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ294A1CF5.jpg

Now that's a shroud! Nice work.

My AVR programmer will be here tomorrow. Once assembled in order to get this to work I should...(insert link to what I should to or tell me what to do here)

247 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-04 05:54:25)

What's ironic is I can reprint that with that shroud to get rid of the loose bits at the bottom. Man I love 3D Printers. Can make stuff to upgrade itself.
So damn cool.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ29CCBE48.jpg

There's gotta be room for at least 4 more fans on there.

Lol

I was trying to copy the ultimaker setup. *shrug* I like it. Looks beastly.