1 (edited by elmoret 2013-11-07 23:33:35)

Topic: E3D All-Metal Hotends - US Distributor

Hi there!

AccelerationLabs (the company I started to produce the Filastruder) has become a distributor of the acclaimed E3D hotend:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8406/8868800101_967f632135_z.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2875/8869404372_23fb2757dd_z.jpg
(photos courtesy of adrian)

This hotend is pretty well known here on the forums - here's one of the early threads on retrofitting one:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2584/got … nted-pics/

I've been really impressed so far, but don't take my word for it - here's a print with an E3D using PLA filament made on a Filastruder:

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/show-n-tell/fs_vase_PLA_1.JPG

and one with ABS from a Filastruder:

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/show-n-tell/fs_vase_abs_1.JPG

Anyway, I talked to Sanjay (what a great guy!) and got things squared away. Here's the link to the store:

http://www.filastruder.com/products/all … e3d-hotend

Both prints were done by 2n2r5 here on the forum.

The first 20 orders can use the coupon code "FreeShipE3D" for free shipping within the US. That brings the total cost to $69.99 shipped, when ordering from across the pond will run you $86.94 - assuming the currency conversion doesn't change much.

Re: E3D All-Metal Hotends - US Distributor

OK, you've convinced me... just ordered it.... that with the melt filter (hasn't shipped yet), I should be set for what I need to really print well.  now about that power supply....

I am curious, and would like an honest answer: I already know that E3D is a much better hotend and pretty much needed if you want to use alternate filament materials, but here is another possible selling point:

How tolerant is the E3D compared to both stock SD hotend, and say a J-head? By this I mean, is it more 'robust' when you use poorer quality filament? I have a half a roll of PLA that started OK but is having some diameter variance and brittle sections. It started jamming up my nozzle quite a bit (thought I had a bad blockage but it was flushed completely out with good quality ABS, I got lucky). I dont intend to use this roll again in my stock hotend. So in your opinion, does the E3D handle more 'questionable' filament better, or the same? If recall, E3D still uses an insert? Anyways, if its possible to buy cheaper filament for less demanding print jobs, but not worry about nozzle clogs, that could save people at least $5 a roll.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Hazer wrote:

Anyways, if its possible to buy cheaper filament for less demanding print jobs, but not worry about nozzle clogs, that could save people at least $5 a roll.

Shucks! If you are thinking of buying an E3D from elmoret, might as well buy a filastruder too then save even more money on filament :-).

Hazer wrote:

I am curious, and would like an honest answer: I already know that E3D is a much better hotend and pretty much needed if you want to use alternate filament materials, but here is another possible selling point:

How tolerant is the E3D compared to both stock SD hotend, and say a J-head? By this I mean, is it more 'robust' when you use poorer quality filament? I have a half a roll of PLA that started OK but is having some diameter variance and brittle sections. It started jamming up my nozzle quite a bit (thought I had a bad blockage but it was flushed completely out with good quality ABS, I got lucky). I dont intend to use this roll again in my stock hotend. So in your opinion, does the E3D handle more 'questionable' filament better, or the same? If recall, E3D still uses an insert? Anyways, if its possible to buy cheaper filament for less demanding print jobs, but not worry about nozzle clogs, that could save people at least $5 a roll.

The E3D has an inside diameter of 2.0mm (1.75mm variant). It does not use an internal insert or liner - it is all stainless steel, all metal.

I'm honestly not sure I can help much with the root question though - I haven't bought filament in almost a year - I've made 40kg now on a Filastruder (printed most of it on a stock SD hotend), and the highest diameter I see is about 1.82mm. That diameter feeds through my stock SD hotend fine.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance - Sanjay would know more.

Hazer, the extent to which filament can have particulate clogs greater than your  nozzle orifice can't really be changed much by the extruder, I think. The e3d has a few things that help it not clog.

The nozzle-cone is short, so if a particulate is squishable it's more likely to squish through that than a longer diameter zone
The nozzle doesn't have natural clogging from heat creep up. The active cooling means there's point in the hot end where it's just [relatively] sharply cold, and so you don't get swelling and rub along the whole channel. 

These are pretty mediocre explanations, but I'm trying to say that I previously had *many* problems with low quality filament clogging. This nozzle can unclog more easily [hot temp and wire], and in practice hasn't clogged frequently (maybe twice, today for the second time since I have had the nozzle, in well over a hundred hours of printing.

But I do have one roll that I'm not counting in the clogging nozzle. It was some black PLA of rubbish quality that would clog nonstop-within moments. I can only assume this filament is full of particles greater than 0.4mm (my nozzle orifice.) It's impossible for any hot end with a fixed orifice size to deal with many particles greater than that orifice.   So no designing could get around that.

Hazer, the extent to which filament can have particulate clogs greater than your  nozzle orifice can't really be changed much by the extruder, I think. The e3d has a few things that help it not clog.

The nozzle-cone is short, so if a particulate is squishable it's more likely to squish through that than a longer diameter zone
The nozzle doesn't have natural clogging from heat creep up. The active cooling means there's point in the hot end where it's just [relatively] sharply cold, and so you don't get swelling and rub along the whole channel. 

These are pretty mediocre explanations, but I'm trying to say that I previously had *many* problems with low quality filament clogging. This nozzle can unclog more easily [hot temp and wire], and in practice hasn't clogged frequently (maybe twice, today for the second time since I have had the nozzle, in well over a hundred hours of printing.

But I do have one roll that I'm not counting in the clogging nozzle. It was some black PLA of rubbish quality that would clog nonstop-within moments. I can only assume this filament is full of particles greater than 0.4mm (my nozzle orifice.) It's impossible for any hot end with a fixed orifice size to deal with many particles greater than that orifice.   So no designing could get around that.

8 (edited by adrian 2013-11-01 07:59:03)

Congrats on the arrangement Tim!

They are verrrrry nice hotends.

And may I suggest to everyone now I've personally built up a solid collection of them - Buy the bowden versions even if you aren't going to go bowden short term. They are near identical to the 'non-bowden' versions, instead they include a threaded top section. They work fine as 'direct drive' hotends (aka, what the standard SD does) but allow you the option of switching to a bowden setup later. The 'ideal' kit would be a bowden version + 1 x 0.6mm nozzle, meaning you can switch the stock 0.4mm one out to the bigger nozzle for higher speed prints when fine surface detail isn't a primary concern. It also means if you buy two you can go dual hotend with 1x0.4 (for perimeters) and 1x0.6 (for high speed support/infil)

Anyway - I ramble enough. If you are stateside - take elmoret up on his offer NOW! In fact - Buy 2! smile

9 (edited by elmoret 2013-11-01 15:11:18)

Of course you say that when I don't have any bowden version yet! I can get some in my next shipment, though. (about a month away)

They'd be about $30 more - PM me if you want one so I know how many to have shipped over.

10 (edited by adrian 2013-11-01 14:32:26)

elmoret wrote:

Of course you say that when I don't have any bowden version yet! I can get some in my next shipment, though.

Yes, sorry - I figured this out after I posted - my apologies :S Don't let what I said above deter anyone reading and who might remotely pay attention to me - the standard ones are fantastic if all you ever will want to do is replace the standard hotend. You can even do bowden if you really want - but you just need to mount the pushfit or equivalent yourself external to the hotend - the dedicated bowden versions provider a much neater 'direct to the extruder' connection meaning all you need to do is grip it somehow big_smile

But worth getting bowdens and recommending them - its worth the little bit extra for the added flexibility (and they are very nice push-fit couplings as well!)

And as an extra suggestion - get the extra nozzles and again lean to the larger size rather than smaller size. The .25 is nice and blingy - but not worth it in terms of slow-downs vs actual quality improvement.

Are you planning to start carrying other spare parts besides nozzles?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Are you planning to start carrying other spare parts besides nozzles?

I have them, just haven't had time to list them. Let me know what you need.

I have the standard hotends and they print wonderfully.

As far as being more resilient and forgiving of inconsistent filament, the larger .6 mm nozzles are good for that. I use the .25 mm nozzle most of the time and some of my older filament gives me clogs every now and then.  I just make sure to have spare nozzles to do a quick change. It only takes about 30 Seconds to switch nozzles. It will be nice be able to get extras from Tim.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Your page says the fan-housing is printed in ABS. I thought he printed them in PLA, is that correct that it's ABS for your batch? Thought I'd just check

All mine are abs,  not sure where you got the impression they are done in PLA

He talks about automating PLA prints here:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,216570,228252

But says further down the ducts are ABS. I've just shot him an email to double check, but I'm pretty sure they're ABS.

Can you measure the assembled length? I am toying around with swapping this for the hot end on my kossel but want to be sure I have clearance for my autolevel probe.

I'm away from the office right now, but adrian said:

My one assembled is 70.1mm from top to extruder tip

in his thread linked above.

Is the E3D hotend a direct replacement on the solidoodle 3? As far as bolt in, plug in and go? Or does it need modification, and different power supply?

you will need some small mods...

1. the hotend is longer, so you will need a longer m3 bolt to put into the Z limit switch to zero the bed height

2. I STRONGLY recommend ditching the acrylic extruder body that solidoodles ship with. I am not sure it would fit anyway. Print a Mk5 extruder before you do the swap  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:111213

3. Solidoodle mounts the thermistor to the outside of the hot end, but the E3D has it inside the heater block. This means that the E3D will reflect a temperature closer to the actual melting point than the solidoodle hot end. The solidoodle hot end reads about 20 degrees lower than it really is. There is some safeguards in the Soldoodle controller board firmware to prevent you from heating up your hot end too much and melting the PEEK part of the heat break. Unfortunately it it set low enough to interfere with setting it at the temperatures you need to use with teh E3D, so you will need to recompile the firmware on the controller board with a higher safety temperature. http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solidoodle_Firmware

Power supplies should be fine, although mine seems a little weak and I have already ordered a replacement. It tends to get pretty warm with everything cooking.

downeym wrote:

1. the hotend is longer, so you will need a longer m3 bolt to put into the Z limit switch to zero the bed height

Or flip the current bolt upside down smile

that might work too, but it would be harder to adjust... As long as it works... smile

Horrible to adjust! The things I've done in the name of "it has to work right now"...

elmoret wrote:
downeym wrote:

Or flip the current bolt upside down smile

Or print something like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:162400 (which I used to test a ceramic bed).

I used a motherboard standoff to extend mine.  It's also easy enough to just print a small cylinder to screw onto the bottom of it.