1 (edited by adrian 2013-05-29 16:02:36)

Topic: Got my new E3D All-Metal Hotend V4 - (Updated with Mounted Pics)

Got my E3D All Metal Hotend today.

Its a DIY kit, so some assembly is required. I've taken pics during the build and tomorrow I'll do a full write up.

Good news is, it does fit lawsy's Mk4 ... but you will need to change the bolt arrangement as its too wide at the extruder carriage bolt setup. More info on that tomorrow, but in the meantime, heres a couple of sneak peek pics:

Heres whats in the kit you get:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8406/8868800101_967f632135_z.jpg

Assembled (albeit I've had a problem in that the heater cartridge wont go all the way in - or come out - but its close enough..)
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2875/8869404372_23fb2757dd_z.jpg

And try doing this with a PEEK nozzle wink
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7423/8868788119_10dc951b42_z.jpg

And yes, you can hold the filament end of the hot-end in your fingers with the nozzle at 300° smile smile

2 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-05-28 17:47:47)

Re: Got my new E3D All-Metal Hotend V4 - (Updated with Mounted Pics)

nice, hopefully mine gets here before July.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

3 (edited by ysb 2013-05-29 10:21:48)

what is the difference with the V4 ?

Edit. Ok the title change from v3 to v4...

Awesome i wanna see if anyone will be able to print polycarbonate with this stuff or fiberglass.

5 (edited by adrian 2013-05-29 10:22:54)

ysb wrote:

what is the difference with the V4 ?

A typo on my behalf wink Its one of the new V4's....

(ahh, you edited as I posted smile Yeah, was a typo last night from me... )

Looking forward to seeing a pic of it mounted.

Would you mind measuring how long it is from head to tip?

7 (edited by adrian 2013-05-29 16:34:17)

Apologies, but I've been caught up with some other stuff this evening.

But heres some pics of its mounted:

Key things are:
If your J-Heads are already loose in a mk4, then you'll need to print a new one, or added kapton to the top ring of the E3D to fatten it slightly. Being smoother stainless, it will just slip in and out if its not a solid biting contact with the top mount.

Physically however, the biggest impediment I found was *I* needed to remove the left side nyloc nut on the Carriage Screw.. this is the long 50mm or so guy, pictured at the bottom left of the extruder. When I made up my Mk4, I actually threaded the holes using an M3 tap, so I can 'get away' with having no nut on the left side. Given the haphazard nature of bolt tolerances on the extruders, others may not suffer the same issue.

I've also had to move forward my extruder pulley about 3mm's - the E3D seems to sit a fraction further out with its filament feed center than a J-Head or the standard Makergear setup... And yes I forgot that I had not re-tightened it before I grabbed these pics smile

Height wise, its definitely taller! smile I've had to go to a double M3-Standoff setup on my already 'lowered' Z-Tab... My one assembled is 70.1mm from top to extruder tip...

More details on the assembly/install tomorrow as time permits, but heres some more pics of it mounted:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2877/8879133963_38ee205a3f_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8536/8879142765_fdf4f9d833_z.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2806/8879140173_823b5e2b50_z.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3778/8879760344_376d026561_z.jpg

And in a complete insult to the E3D.. here it is printing PLA (lol! its like nipping to grab milk in a Zonda....)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8546/8879766586_52b8386e75_z.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2847/8879526475_a92ba558a9_z.jpg

looks great. I cant wait to get mine.

Did you get the .4mm nozzle?

Filastruder

Just ordered two. They look fantastic.

how many mm in height do you lose versus the previous standard head ?

My Standard Hotend is 53.7mm, so there is ~16.4mm's difference.

lawsy wrote:

Just ordered two. They look fantastic.

So we can expect the mk5 to work with this.

Filastruder

13 (edited by adrian 2013-05-30 17:07:45)

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Yup. According to David @ E-3D the spares/accessories will be going up on their e-store next few days once finished sorting the spares from the latest shipment batch.... I'll get the multi-pack with .3,.4,.5 in it smile

I've done about 5 hours PLA printing with it so far - no jams, no oozing...

adrian wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

Yup. According to David @ E-3D the spares/accessories will be going up on their e-store next few days.... I'll get the multi-pack with .3,.4,.5 in it smile

I've done about 5 hours PLA printing with it so far - no jams, no oozing...

I really like the design they have for swapping nozzles so that you don't have to rebuild the whole heater block.

Filastruder

15 (edited by adrian 2013-05-30 17:01:22)

DePartedPrinter wrote:

I really like the design they have for swapping nozzles so that you don't have to rebuild the whole heater block.

Yup - its quite handy! smile

But you do need to do a 300°C soak and re-tighten when hot with a shifter and socket to ensure a seating and no oozing.. so its a bit of a process but only about a 10 minute job...

Looks awesome, can't wait to get one. Thanks for sharing the pics.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Just an update, still no drama's with any jams or oozing, despite a slightly kinked filament path between extruder hobbed pulley and the stainless entry...

I only share because I know there was originally some concern about jamming with the Stainless barrel....

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I ordered my E3D hotend a week and a half ago. Can't wait to get it in!

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

I ordered mine a week or so ago! Hope i can swap it all over ok! Thanks for the photos cheers

Hi All,

Sanjay from E3D online here. I designed the E3D v4 hotend and do all the engineering/tech support etc here at E3D.

Awesome that you guys are interested in our hotend and that some have already got it rigged up to a solidoodle. Really fast work there by Adrian. I would love to see how it prints out of a solidoodle.

It seems you solidoodle users are quite interested in our stuff, so if there are any questions, suggestions or feedback just let me know. I am ALWAYS open to suggestions and improvements. Tell me what you want in a hotend, and I will do all I can to make it happen.

Regarding jamming, that was a manufacturing problem with a small batch of hotends, under 1% of certain 1.75mm units from a specific batch had a jamming failure issue. In all normal circumstances this hotend is incredibly jam resistant. - It's totally different in thermodynamic philosophy to a prusa nozzle or other stainless ones on the market that use a long tube to dissipate heat over a distance. With our design we have a SUPER short transition from totally cold filament to completely molten filament (around 1-2mm of transition zone) by using aggressive active cooling. This has some real advantages, like no jamming even without any polishing, and providing incredibly precise and consistent extrusion. This really reduces those problems of blobby over-extruded corners and means you get very little stringing with small retractions and generally just neater more precise printing. Even just with PLA printing.

Anyway, I'll get off my engineering rant, and just say that I'm here to support you guys getting these up and running on your machines and to make sure you have a good time with my hotend!

Regards,
Sanjay

I Design/Sell the E3D all-metal hotends. My company is called e3d-online - you can buy at www.e3d-online.com

Sanjay,

Any chance to get a group discount code?

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

hello, is a "shorter" module a possibility ? i don't want to loose 16mm of height vs the original solidoodle head

23 (edited by nlancaster 2013-06-04 20:11:53)

ysb, i bet the length of the entire unit is based on the cooling system.  not much room to shorten it from the looks. 

And I am interested in this nozzle for my dream future dual or triple extruder machine big_smile

Did you have to do anything special to drive that hearter cartridge from your solidoodle?

2n2r5
I am afraid our margins are really really low as it is already - but we are giving out discounts for those who can show that they are truly "developers" - adrian for example is on my list of "people to offer stuff to" because he is helping more people using different types of printer get on board with our hotend.

ysb & nlancaster

The total length is really dictated by the size of the 30*30mm fan - which is the smallest commonly available fan. You can increase compactness/efficiency by mounting the hotend higher on the machine.

We are working on a water-cooled multi-nozzle version that will be extremely space efficient even for 4+ nozzles. Soon!

Sanjay

I Design/Sell the E3D all-metal hotends. My company is called e3d-online - you can buy at www.e3d-online.com

SanjayM wrote:

2n2r5
I am afraid our margins are really really low as it is already - but we are giving out discounts for those who can show that they are truly "developers" - adrian for example is on my list of "people to offer stuff to" because he is helping more people using different types of printer get on board with our hotend.

ysb & nlancaster

The total length is really dictated by the size of the 30*30mm fan - which is the smallest commonly available fan. You can increase compactness/efficiency by mounting the hotend higher on the machine.

We are working on a water-cooled multi-nozzle version that will be extremely space efficient even for 4+ nozzles. Soon!

Sanjay

Thanks Sanjay,

Just thought that I would ask. I will be ordering 2 or 3 hot ends from you anyways for my bowden. When you guys get some specs for the multi-nozzle version. Would you mind dropping us some dimensions so we can have a mounting system ready to go when it gets released?

I can't wait for the water cooled version. I will finally have a use for this water cooling system from my old computer.... hmmm... I might experiment myself with that one.

SD3 w/ mods: