Re: E3D All-Metal Hotends - US Distributor

I know wink just playing with ya'

Tim,
Do you sell a spare heater block for the E3D?  I may have cross-threaded mine when putting the nozzle back in after a clog.  I'm still trying to get it back in, but I may have done more damage than I thought...

I do! Should be on the site under spare parts.

Doh!  how did I miss that!  Thanks, Tim.

My spare just arrived today.  Like Wardjr - will probably never see the light of day but have it just in case wink

New free shipping code for Soliforum users:

NGGG7ZVM2N0K

Eight uses left. Enjoy!

Hi elmoret- I fudged on installing the thermistor and had the ends come out of the crushed ferule. Are these ferules available at Ace (or other real hardware store), or are they a special order? If so, do you sell extra?
Thanks

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

58 (edited by adrian 2014-02-21 06:55:13)

Coleke: They are just standard "boot lace Ferrules" - you should be able to find versions at a reputable auto store/hardware store - but their versions will have one side of the ferrule plastic insulated. The plastic however can be retained or easily snipped away. i.e, they look like this:
http://cse-distributors.co.uk/cabmgmt/images/pre-insulated-ferrules-l.jpg

I've used the white colour coded ones (24awg? can't remember...)

You can get uninsulated ones under the same name, but they are sometimes trickier to source. You can however get them I know via  http://www.ferrulesdirect.com/ is a source as well if you are US based... ( and something like http://www.ferrulesdirect.com/terminal/ … /SK400.htm is handy to have around )

I can send you some too if needed.

60 (edited by Boz 2014-02-21 16:48:08)

PSA:  When they say to heat up your hotend before doing the final tightening of the threads, do not get too eager and do it without heating it up first.  (Also do not tighten the connection between the heat sink and heat block this way.  That it what caused this deformation.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/wmfootball75/th_PhotoFeb2163723AM.jpg

Edit:  I'm in no way saying that this was bad design.  I'm simply saying not to be dumb like me and do a "bubba" tightening job on equipment like this!

I wouldn't call that being eager... Rather, too much torque smile

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Boz wrote:

PSA:  When they say to heat up your hotend before doing the final tightening of the threads, do not get too eager and do it without heating it up first.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/wmfootball75/th_PhotoFeb2163723AM.jpg

You shouldn't have put any force on the heat break - you should be gripping the heat block with pliers and tightening the nozzle....

63 (edited by Boz 2014-02-21 16:43:59)

elmoret wrote:

You shouldn't have put any force on the heat break - you should be gripping the heat block with pliers and tightening the nozzle....

I'm afraid that I didn't realize that before, unfortunately.  I bought a replacement heat break from you a while back and will be installing it when my thermistor comes in.  I just overtightened the heat block and heat sink while it was "cold" so much that it deformed the heat break (it's so small that it was the first thing to give under the stress of me overtightening it.  This time I will be more careful and only snug up the nozzle to the heat block as suggested.

As my father once said "Finesse not Force"

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

wardjr wrote:

I found that out... I cross threaded the heat block when I was trying to clear a clog.

That being said, I have an issue with the heater cartridge.  I think I blew the thermistor at some point, so I replaced it with the SD OEM.  I re-flashed the firmware so it now shows the correct temp, but when I try to heat the hotend, I get nothing.  It stays at ambient.  I've checked the connections and I think they're solid, but I need to know a way to check to see if the cartridge blew out or if there's something else going on...

Any suggestions?

Put a multimeter on it, resistance should be around 4 ohms.

I'm not too much of an electronics guy, but here goes... I have a cheapie multimeter (sunwa analog model MU-119)... set to read Ohms (have a selection x10, x100, x1k, I chose x10).  When I probe the leads, the indicator jumps to the top of the range on the right (which in this case reads 0).  Can I assume that this puppy is dead?

cckens wrote:

I'm not too much of an electronics guy, but here goes... I have a cheapie multimeter (sunwa analog model MU-119)... set to read Ohms (have a selection x10, x100, x1k, I chose x10).  When I probe the leads, the indicator jumps to the top of the range on the right (which in this case reads 0).  Can I assume that this puppy is dead?

What does it read when you touch the leads of the meter together?  It should be zero an there is an adjustment just below the base of the needle.  The meter needs to be zeroed out before you take a measurement and 4 ohms isn't a lot so read the scale and figure out what each line indicates.

wardjr wrote:

I don't know: "Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer!" always worked for me :-).

wardjr wrote:
cckens wrote:

What does it read when you touch the leads of the meter together?  It should be zero an there is an adjustment just below the base of the needle.  The meter needs to be zeroed out before you take a measurement and 4 ohms isn't a lot so read the scale and figure out what each line indicates.

OK, I think I have the zero figured out.  there's a dial on the side.  I adjusted it so that the meter reads at 0 exactly when I touch the leads.  I probe the leads and I get 0.

I'm pretty sure, she's dead, Jim...

71 (edited by elmoret 2014-02-21 23:37:38)

0 would be a dead short, not an open circuit. Heaters don't typically fail dead short, and if they do they'd get real hot, and drive the power supply into protection.

Can you connect it directly to 12v and see if it gets hot? Can you test that the motherboard is delivering 12v to the heater terminals with the heater connected?

Now that is something that I'm not sure about... but how to go about doing it?

I would assume that I have to test the posts to see what the voltage is (DC or AC?) and directly to the 12v posts which I would be a bit hesitant to do... would it be easier to just re-terminate the cable with a JST connectors and try again? 

I'm always hesitant when dealing with electronics that are plugged in.  I'm one of those guys that calls the electrician when the light bulb I replaced doesn't light up with any of the spares I have lying around.  Just wary about electricity, I guess.

If I had to venture a guess you have the thermistor wires shorting on the heat block.  The stuff your testing is 12v DC nothing there to really hurt.  Check the insulation on the thermistor wires right where it meets the thermistor.

No, it's not the thermistor.  I tested it pre- and post-kapton.  I was getting ambient temp and no stop message.  I turned on the heater and it just doesn't heat up.  I left it on for ~10 minutes and I put a finger near, then on to feel the heat... nada.

I tested the heater outside the block (sitting on the block actually as I don't want to mar the glass of the bed) and there was no change to the cartridge, so I'm pretty sure that it's either the wiring or the cartridge is dead.

Just got back from getting the kidlets from school, so I'm going to try to test the connector of the JST when the heat button is on just to see what kind of voltage I'm getting... hopefully I don't blow anything out...

This should be in Help Repair section.
Unplug the heat cartridge from the board and unplug the printer both USB and power.  Then apply 12v separately to the heat cartridge and see if it gets hot.  Don't leave it hooked up to long as it will be totally unregulated.