126 (edited by adrian 2013-11-10 02:27:36)

Re: Solidoodle 3 Mods, and issues.

Read http://wiki.solidoodle.com/update-firmware , but download the firmware from http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4236/bet … ll-boards/ . Its this version of the firmware you want to compile.

Edit Configuration.h and :
Line 201, remove the leading //:

#define PIDTEMPBED

Between lines 211 and 243, there is the following:

#ifdef PIDTEMPBED
//120v 250W silicone heater into 4mm borosilicate (MendelMax 1.5+)
//from FOPDT model - kp=.39 Tp=405 Tdead=66, Tc set to 79.2, aggressive factor of .15 (vs .1, 1, 10)
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 10.00
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKi .023
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 305.4

//120v 250W silicone heater into 4mm borosilicate (MendelMax 1.5+)
//from pidautotune
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 97.1
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKi 1.41
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 1675.16
//Solidoodle3 Standard Bed //{SD Patch}
//from pidautotune //{SD Patch}
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 100.15 //{SD Patch}
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKi 7.65 //{SD Patch}
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 327.90 //{SD Patch}

//Replicator MK2B Heat Bed //{SD Patch}
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 367.89 //{SD Patch}
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKi 36.68 //{SD Patch}
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 922.06 //{SD Patch}

//QU-BD Silicone Bed 200x200 Square //{SD Patch}
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 304.98 //{SD Patch}
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKi 52.88 //{SD Patch}
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 439.71 //{SD Patch}

// FIND YOUR OWN: "M303 E-1 C8 S90" to run autotune on the bed at 90 degreesC for 8 cycles.
#endif // PIDTEMPBED

Edit the values that are uncommented and replace them with the values from the M303 E-1 S95 C8. In the default firmware its not the QU-BD that is uncommented, but the Solidoodle Bed (I think thats what I set it to...) is what I left uncommented. Replace the numbers on the lines that do not have "//" at the beginning.

If you have never done any of the above - it doesn't matter what you've fiddled with so far, PID isn't even enabled on the bed by default unless you uncommend #define PIDTEMPBED ... hence why I've said numerous times to read wardjr's thread where this is all explained in great detail.

Once you have edited the values, you can upload the firmware following the rest of the steps at http://wiki.solidoodle.com/update-firmware

Everything you need to cover I have restated for you above - But please read the resources that have been supplied.

well i edited it i believe successfully, but when im following the insctructions to "compile" it, it spits this error out at the bottom of the screen and wont let me proceed.

Post's attachments

error.jpg
error.jpg 134.5 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

128 (edited by diyengineer 2013-11-10 16:32:21)

Playing with this code is not my thing, as one might be able to tell haha..

Also not to confident i have the right board selected.. I have REV E and believe i have the printerboard with the 1284?

in the arduino program i have USBtinyISPprinterboard selected.. is that right?

Attempted to research what i did wrong, thinking someone else may have hit this brick wall, but no luck. I'm not familiar with coding (wish i was!). What i got out of doing a bit of research is that something exists outside a function? I don't even know what defines a function or "constructor".

130 (edited by adrian 2013-11-11 13:07:52)

Hey there - sorry I've been flat out today.
You might try reaching out to "Hazer" as his uploaded firmware to the printrboard a fair bit.
You might also be able to convince him to build the .hex file for you to upload for you with the required changes to enable PID and put in your PID values. Maybe. smile

So i have Arduino 022. I didn't update as i have read online, that one must go back to 022 for something to work (not sure what, but i took their advice).

I started to pay attention and everything that didn't matter was commented out by "//" which i am use to commenting out Gcode on a siemens controller with ";". Everything that seemed that it needed had a "#" sign. I double checked all the code and found that i accidently deleted the "//" in front of a solidoodle line. Apparently it didnt like that so i commented that out and left the "#" below. It than compiled just fine. Now if i can get this uploaded i'll be impressed with myself haha!

Sorry I've been out of reach the last couple days... Deer season up here.
I also had a hard time getting this done and I know my post about it is hard to follow.
I am not that familiar with your particular board so if you can get the answer to that it would help.
What I can offer since I also am no good with this sort of thing, is PM me and I'll shoot you my number and maybe we can hash it out over the phone and get you up and running.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I think i may be on to something haha. just got it to compile, and found where my boot pins are. I dont have a jumper, so now im going to have to rig up some type of jumper. Does it need to stay jumped, or just short it than press reset? I think im close! tongue

I know nothing about jumping pins maybe adrian can answer that question.
On the older boards just push the button.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

135 (edited by diyengineer 2013-11-11 15:59:10)

Bingo! Holy crap i got it. Temps are PERFECT and graph is super flat. Need to find new batteries for my mouse and i will update with the links i used, incase anyone else gets stuck. Haven't made anything yet with it, but as far as the bed PID goes its working perfect.

Post's attachments

360watt heater on 375 plate.jpg
360watt heater on 375 plate.jpg 356.49 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Congratulations and Happy printing
so what was with the pins jump or not?

diyengineer wrote:

I think i may be on to something haha. just got it to compile, and found where my boot pins are. I dont have a jumper, so now im going to have to rig up some type of jumper. Does it need to stay jumped, or just short it than press reset? I think im close! tongue

Yes. Just short it long enough to push the reset button.

And as Adrian said, if you feel like your not getting where you want to go, I can take your values and compile it myself into a hex file for you, no trouble at all. But it does sound like your past the compiling part and on to the downloading part.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

138 (edited by diyengineer 2013-11-11 16:05:18)

I used a paper clip to jump them while i pressed the reset button. No need to hold the paper clip on the pins after you press the button. The two pins are in the middle of the board, i had to pull up the schematic to make sure it was those two pins haha.

Ended up using  "[USBtinyISP]Teensylu/Printrboard" in the arduino program.
Used command prompt as instructed to locate the file (ugh that was rough for me, had to look up how to find a folder)

Once you find the folder in command prompt, you follow the instructions and substitute the hex file and it worked.

I'm sure most of you know this, but this now deserves a beer! haha

http://wiki.solidoodle.com/update-firmware#toc3

That really helped me.

Check the new graph. damn thing is horizontal! hahah

Post's attachments

360watt heater on 375 plate PID.jpg
360watt heater on 375 plate PID.jpg 367.31 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-11-11 

Looks great how much would it cost me to get you to make one of those bed plates in a custom size.
I'm working on building a bigger better printer from scratch and I really like what you've done.

Shoot me a message about the size you need.

So far no issues with feeding the wire from the rear instead of the top. Will have to run a final test tomorrow. If it doesn't snag up no point in cutting the top?

diyengineer wrote:

So far no issues with feeding the wire from the rear instead of the top. Will have to run a final test tomorrow. If it doesn't snag up no point in cutting the top?

Well it depends.

The tight arc it produces means that the feedrate is susceptible to change, which changes the filament pressure, which changes the flow rate.

If you start seeing weird stuff like it prints 'under spec' at the back of the printer and prints 'over spec' at the front.. or seeming randomly has thin walls or holes in walls - it could easily be due to the above. Theres also the issue that with more brittle filament, you'll get breakages mid-print.

So - you can leave it as is and just "suck it and see" as we Aussies say. But if you want to be 100% sure you get consistent melt-flow, then make sure that you have the 'laziest' arc you can possible have to maintain a constant feedrate with no sudden pressure changes based on if its a tight arc or a slack arc - and the only way I can think of to 'hand on heart' assure that is to move the filament to feed over the top (and not through the hole) - which is what SD did themselves when moving the cables around and no longer advising the use of a case and the feed hole *shrug*.

Its your printer, its your call smile

I run the filament over the top without cutting a hole in the case by making the top of the case big enough to cover everything:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware/solidoodle/spoolmount/industrial.jpg

Looks a little silly maybe, but seems to work fine.

diyengineer wrote:

I agree with adrian on this one get it up over the top in a nice smooth arc.  Just when you need it to perform at its best, that is when you'll have a problem.  I don't know how much height you have but I would guess you could get by just drilling a hole in the center and smoothing out the edges.

Post's attachments

printer.JPG 192.31 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Very true. Not trying to reinvent the wheel. I think ill keep the party top, but find some type of plastic funnel to attach to the top via hot glue gun. I will have to scour the isles of walmart.

diyengineer wrote:

Very true. Not trying to reinvent the wheel. I think ill keep the party top, but find some type of plastic funnel to attach to the top via hot glue gun. I will have to scour the isles of walmart.

Or you could just print yourself exactly what you want smile

I searched all of Walmart and I did spot a 10" aluminum lamp housing that seemed like it would have been a really good addition. I believe it was $5 bucks and was off of the clamp on light socket from the automotive department. Everything else was a no go. I think I will modify the party top to accommodate the lamp housing (cut hole and hot glue on). Will report back with pictures.. Now that i think of it i actually may have one of these laying around in the shop...  hmmm....

So far this seems perfect! Fits perfectly ontop of the party tray off amazon. Most everything I build will be centered on platform, and the dish allows full range of motion it appears. Tomorrow I'll make it permanent and well see what it looks like.

Post's attachments

image.jpg 1.71 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

Have yet to make much progress. trying to wire up my cubicle in the shop so i can move this project out of my house finally. Also ive been on my laptop cause my desktop has been banished to the shop. Once that is hooked up ill finally have access to a decent set of CAD tools.

Hello again, sorry i've been busy on a project. Should be back to the grind after christmas! Need to update the software to the newest revision of repetier! I believe i have .85, and i know .90 was out. I'd like to update, as i attempted to last time, but it blew out all my settings. Anyone find an easy way to "copy" there settings over from .85 to .90?