Re: Solidoodle 3 Mods, and issues.

diyengineer wrote:

Ya no kidden, not any more haha. Have you found a better way for estimating prints? Repetier is so far off.

You can adjust that when I get near my PC I'll shoot you a screenshot.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

202 (edited by diyengineer 2015-03-01 20:30:05)

under config, printer settings, extruder, that "extruder diameter" does this value matter? For some reason it was set at .4mm and im pretty sure the "solidoodle 3" has a .35mm tip from the factory? Which is it?

I did a test and saw no difference from .35 to .4!?

I printed a huge nut from red abs, now i want to do the matching nut out of black ABS. It estimates at 11 hours and 2 minutes.. i have a feelings its more like 20+ hours..

Post's attachments

10422210_10204203035416963_440913984761628206_n.jpg
10422210_10204203035416963_440913984761628206_n.jpg 18.53 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

screen.jpg
screen.jpg 185.92 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

It does matter and the nozzle size depends when you got your printer.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Before I updated, I swore i was using .35mm. After the repetier update, it auto updated a lot of my settings which work great, and was actually nice, except it filled in .4mm as my nozzle size, which ive read solidoodle has made a standard because of less clogs, and a hair more flow at higher speeds. Havent had a clog yet, nor have i cleaned the nozzle.

I printed the large nut in the picture attached with the setting .4mm. I caught it afterwards only because i was browsing around learning all the screens and saw the wrong setting. I plan on printing the huge bolt that goes to the nut, but didn't want to change the settings yet and have the nut not thread onto the bolt. Im pretty sure the bolt is going to take about 20 hours to print. I want to add a fan over the electronics before I take that on. I'd also like to attach a ground strap from my PC to the solidoodle as with other cnc controllers in the past its usually a habit and helps. I don't trust it printing for long stretches. When i printed the big nut, about 3.5 hours in it froze for no apparent reason. Instead of restarting i lucked out modified the code and started where it left off. I don't want to get 18 hours into a print and have it lose its mind, and scrap a part :[

Well figured that out. Wrong setting was in there! Finished calibrating my printer for the most part. I still need to dial it in for excessive bridges, and extreme angles. Attempted a bowtie that had a really crazy print angle, dang near 45 degrees if not more. Without support it failed when it rose to the top of the print.

Post's attachments

20150302_144009.jpg
20150302_144009.jpg 1.69 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

206 (edited by diyengineer 2015-03-09 08:55:57)

Here is the classic "rook" print that has been pretty popular. The white one is a laser sinistered vinyl powder high definition model. The right is the solidoodle @ .3mm layer height, and .35mm nozzle, black abs, no supports.

Not bad considering the price of the solidoodle compared to the SLS vinyl printer which is as much as a house. Apples and oranges, i know, but a decent comparison in quality. smile

Post's attachments

received_10204263379525528.jpeg 55.1 kb, 33 downloads since 2015-03-09 

Next week I would like to setup a 2nd profile on the solidoodle and dial it in with PLA. I'm pretty satisfied with my ABS results.

Still Alive and well. Trying to get a few machining centers wired up for this summer. Still need to get my PLA dialed in. From what i've seen on youtube i should have great results if I have been so far successful with ABS.