Re: Solidoodle 3 Mods, and issues.

Picked up a mobile work cart from home depot, and some 1/2" PVC, connectors and acrylic. Figuring out how i am going to go about attaching the sides, if i want to use clips, or magnets.. Also made a plastic roll holder that rides up above the solidoodle. Slightly stuck when it comes to the top of the printer. I can't simply lay a sheet across the top because it impacts the feeder to the extruder. Another issue, how do i enclose the top of the printer, and still feed the extruder through the top? I guess i could extend the solidoodle top and use a funnel like i am currently using. I sure see a lot of people top mount and feed the filament, but they don't enclose the top to trap the heat in.

cut a slit in the 'lid', about 50mm wide running from just past center to the rear center..

On the underside, attach some 70-80mm wide rubber strips to each side of the slit, arranged such that they overlap. Use rubber such as the sort attached to the bottom of doors as 'storm strips'...

Feed filament down from spool, through the rubberised 'door flap' and voila... as long as you have the 'party tray' style lid that bubbles up a good 25-30mm+ above the top of the metal frame, there will be more than enough room for a reasonably gentle arc to the extruder.

oo thats a good idea!!! I think that will have to do!

You can see what I did at the bottom of this page:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/har … mount.html

I just made a big tall lid to enclose the spool and everything. It has been working well for me.

http://imageshack.com/a/img706/4395/eiva.jpg

I used conveyor brush in order to have as little strain on the filament as possible.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/1254/=p6rt0w

$3 and has secondary effect of cleaning the filament.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

I started with an enclosure made from corugated board, magnets from old hard drives held it on nicely. I made the top a bit higher to accomadate a filament guide I designed that slots onto the back.

Here's that early enclosure:
http://moderndystopia.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2013-08-14-16.19.35-768x1024.jpg

Then recently I acquired soem glass shelves from a mobile TV unit, so I printed some clips. I still havent quite figured out how I'll attach the top, but the sides have weatherstrip foam to seal the edges and the clips have magnets embedded.

So here is it now:
http://moderndystopia.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2013-11-01-21.33.02-768x1024.jpg

I'vr just been laying a top over it to keep drafts out, I'll figure out a way to seal it later, it hasnt been needed with the ambient temp getting warmer every day here.

Thanks for the pictures everyone! Gives me plenty of ideas!! My party tray top is currently in transit so i should see it soon.

I was thinking about ordering up a E3D extruder also after i install my new flat build plate. Would be nice to open the door to other materials in the future, and have an all around good extruder.

http://e3d-online.com/

Anyone currently have it installed?

I just started reselling them in the US - cheaper and faster shipping to boot!

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4415/e3d … stributor/

...  And yes, I have several installed in a few printers. Check elmorets post for my extensive thread on them.

I will check it out. Will it work with the stock power supply?

86 (edited by diyengineer 2013-11-01 17:53:23)

Next paycheck i will order up the filastruder, the enclosure kit, and the E3D hot end, along with some raw material and colorant.

Now i have to start printing to burn through some of this! smile

Finished the acrylic sides for the case. Well see if it works as planned. I use neodymium magnets encapsulated in silicone at 4 points. Its currently drying. The top is on its way, and should be here soon..along with the new mic-6 build plate.

I got everything on a mobile cart. Currently it's inside but it will be moved to the shop at a later point when i'm done modifying it. possibly in a month or so. I work in the Aerospace industry so everything we have is usually kitted. Have what you need, when you need it. After awhile these principals start to show up in just about everything wink haha

Post's attachments

photo 1 (3).JPG
photo 1 (3).JPG 102.91 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 2 (3).JPG 91.25 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 3 (2).JPG
photo 3 (2).JPG 100.62 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

The E3D uses a 40w heater. The stock Solidoodle resistor is around 30w. It'd probably be right on the limit with a stock power supply.

So how does one integrate it into the solidoodle 3 than? New power supply, and use a solid state 12V relay to control the on/off function? If anyone has a how-to please feel free to message me or post the link. thanks!

Its all in Adrian's thread.

New power supply if you want, no need for a solid state relay - the stock board (sanguinololu/printrboard) can handle the extra amp or so.

http://www.soliwiki.com/E3D_extruder

Wow, this really helped out a lot.

I think i will go to a Meanwell 20A 12V powersupply. I've used there power supplies in other cnc machines and they have worked well.

* Mic-6 plate showed up, so i will get on fabbing the table.

* had to do beef up the tubular roll holder with a few 45 brackets. 6 rolls up there got heavy.

Thinking about doing a dual power supply, one dedicated to the electronics, the other to the fans, and the new bed heater. I'd use a 12V relay to activate the heated bed taking the load off the little board.

Silicone heater 12V:
http://store.qu-bd.com/product.php?id_product=61

I hope this works better than my stock solidoodle bed, it takes way to long.

I really like the idea of the auto-retract insulated bed cover on thingverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:48699

92 (edited by adrian 2013-11-03 09:43:41)

Relay no good, you need an SSR. Relay can't switch fast enough for the PID, Relay will burn out in short order and the bouncing of the contacts not so good for high current.

So decent mosfet cooling on board or an external dc-dc ssr.

And the heated bed cover is of little relevance once you have a proper bed that heats up in under 5 anyway...

Ahh! Ok i will look for one. I didn't think it was a true PID controller, so i thought it would turn on and off a lot slower when maintaining.

94 (edited by adrian 2013-11-03 11:04:22)

diyengineer wrote:

Ahh! Ok i will look for one. I didn't think it was a true PID controller, so i thought it would turn on and off a lot slower when maintaining.

you can run it in bang-bang mode with hysteresis, and get the overshoot and undershoot that comes with that as baggage (its fanastic - you can be 2 degrees under or 2 degrees over, and for a brief brief moment, it will maybe even find the set point for you.... ) , or run it in proper PID mode, where switching can be up in the mid-Hz range... With a relay, with PID it would probably make you feel like you are trapped in a '90s era car, with one blinker out, waiting to turn at the worlds longest light phase - With bang-bang, you'd at least feel like BOTH blinkers worked wink

Anyway - just get a DC-DC SSR and be done with it... your psychiatrist will thank me smile

95 (edited by diyengineer 2013-11-03 12:37:23)

Sounds like your looking out for my mental health! hahaha. Sounds good. SSR it is!

Thanks to WARDJR, of Minnesota he posted this:

"  35765K482    Flexible Silicone-Rubber Heat Sheet, Adhesive Backing, 6" X 9" Strip, High Watts/Square Inch  $48
    8192K222    Long-Life Relay, 12 DC Control Voltage, 10 Amps at 100-240V AC  $20"

This would require me using wall power instead of a power supply for the heater which would eliminate the need for me to buy a seperate power supply. Also, the 9"x9" version is 810 watts of firey heat that i don't think i could pass up (already sick of waiting for it to heat up, and when its moved into shop, it will probably need a good amount of oomph cause its chilly).

96 (edited by diyengineer 2013-11-04 20:30:13)

How many watts per square inch is the stock solidoodle 3 silicone heat pad. It measures roughly 6"x6".

New build plate takes 30 minutes for the surface to reach 95C, with the stock heating pad. Guess it works great as a heat sink tongue Retains a lot of heat though after it is shut off, had to wait a long while for it to cool down. still dead flat!

New build plate installed with stock heater for now. It's literally dead flat at temp, except with the stock heater it takes 30 minutes to get up to 95c surface temp (115c programmed).

Ordered up new same size 120v heater, solid state relay, and relay heat sink.

Printed out mk5 extruded parts to prepare for the e3d hot end. Would like to print carriages and do the bearing mod also.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.66 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

diyengineer wrote:

Sounds like your looking out for my mental health! hahaha. Sounds good. SSR it is!

Thanks to WARDJR, of Minnesota he posted this:

"  35765K482    Flexible Silicone-Rubber Heat Sheet, Adhesive Backing, 6" X 9" Strip, High Watts/Square Inch  $48
    8192K222    Long-Life Relay, 12 DC Control Voltage, 10 Amps at 100-240V AC  $20"

This would require me using wall power instead of a power supply for the heater which would eliminate the need for me to buy a seperate power supply. Also, the 9"x9" version is 810 watts of firey heat that i don't think i could pass up (already sick of waiting for it to heat up, and when its moved into shop, it will probably need a good amount of oomph cause its chilly).

Sounds like you've got a good plan and I just wanted to mention that most of the credit for my setup should go to Adrian and 2N2R5 they helped me every step of the way.  The only credit I deserve is for spending the money.
Sorry I wasn't following this thread till just now.
Let me know if I can help when your parts show up.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Thanks Ward, Adrian, and 2NR25.

Just waiting on the stuff to show up now. The part platter off amazon should arrive some time this week so i'll be fiddling with the new top, while waiting for the new heater to show up.

I was worried when the heater was on for 30 straight minutes that it would fry something, but it seemed like it did alright. It eventually did get it up to heat, just takes way to long. Really happy with the new build plate, just needs a more manly heater. haha

100 (edited by diyengineer 2013-11-06 05:40:58)

party tray worked out well. I will modify it tomorrow so the plastic can go through the top.

Post's attachments

photo 1 (4).JPG 109.79 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 2 (4).JPG
photo 2 (4).JPG 130.71 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 3 (3).JPG
photo 3 (3).JPG 117.57 kb, file has never been downloaded.