Re: Solidoodle 3 Mods, and issues.

diyengineer wrote:

Hello again, sorry i've been busy on a project. Should be back to the grind after christmas! Need to update the software to the newest revision of repetier! I believe i have .85, and i know .90 was out. I'd like to update, as i attempted to last time, but it blew out all my settings. Anyone find an easy way to "copy" there settings over from .85 to .90?

I did it so it must be fairly simple big_smile
I just don't remember the steps.  I can tell you this I did not update I just installed the newer version also.
My thought process was I would have the old version to fall back on until I got the new version up and running.
It really wasn't that hard because the settings you are worried about are mostly part of Slic3r.  What version of Slic3r are you using?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Whatever slicer settings I've modified insided repetier. Whatever version comes with .85, I installed the new version of repeteier and it's a blank slate with nothing preloaded. Bad thing is , it seems to have 10 times the settings so for a new guy it appears a complete black hole. I even took screen shots of the majority of my old settings and still couldn't find all of them. Also unsure of the new settings and how they may impact the machine

diyengineer wrote:

Whatever slicer settings I've modified insided repetier. Whatever version comes with .85, I installed the new version of repeteier and it's a blank slate with nothing preloaded. Bad thing is , it seems to have 10 times the settings so for a new guy it appears a complete black hole. I even took screen shots of the majority of my old settings and still couldn't find all of them. Also unsure of the new settings and how they may impact the machine

OK go to setup under the Slicer tab in your old R-H and see what that looks like then duplicate it in the new R-H Give me a minute and I'll shoot a screenshot.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

This is what your looking for... just duplicate what .85 has into .90 and you should get your settings back.

Post's attachments

RH.bmp 2.93 mb, 18 downloads since 2013-12-18 

Slic3rsetup.bmp 2.93 mb, 16 downloads since 2013-12-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Currently installed and working:
Slic3r 0.9.9
Repetier host solidoodle v0.85b

Want to install:
Repetier host v0.90c
Slic3r 0.9.10b

Those are the latest and greatest right?

diyengineer wrote:

Currently installed and working:
Slic3r 0.9.9
Repetier host solidoodle v0.85b

Want to install:
Repetier host v0.90c
Slic3r 0.9.10b

Those are the latest and greatest right?

One thing at a time lets get RH working with 0.9.9 first and since that's what I'm using we can figure the rest out together once we are on the same page.

So it looks like Slic3r 1.0.0RC1 is the latest but sounds like there are still a few bugs that need to be worked out.
I would love it if adrian or 2n2r5 would give us their 2 cents on the subject.
Did you get the slice settings to show up in R-H?

I picked up a lenovo dsektop and dell monitor so i can make it a stand a lone unit. I didnt blow my settings out thankfully in my last transition from computer to computer. I stick with the .85 version of repetier until solidoodle releases it on their website.

Ive been looking for a way to scan objects, everything from makerbots solution to what ive found as a "sense" unit. http://cubify.com/sense/index.aspx

Its cheap, not sure if it works all that great or shows fine details.

Just another update, Computer came in, and the screen which i will be attaching to my cart to make a portable unit. Pictures to come. Also moved it outside in the shop, and the internal pre-heater and larger heating element on the alcoa plate make a WORLD of difference for stable temps as long as you have a decently sealed enclosure. Prints are looking GREAT! Glad i went with the solidoodle. More mods to come.

I'd eventually like to upgrade the carriages to ball bearing on rod, instead of the sleeve style bearing. I think it would be a huge difference in print times if you could crank up the speed!

161 (edited by adrian 2014-03-07 10:58:35)

diyengineer wrote:

I'd eventually like to upgrade the carriages to ball bearing on rod, instead of the sleeve style bearing. I think it would be a huge difference in print times if you could crank up the speed!

The limitation on print speeds is far more to do with the mass of the printhead (acceleration and just as crap deceleration - it will just overshoot on corners.... ) and the piddly X motor and less-than-ideal-spec Y motor. Friction would be last on the list of things that are slowing down a solidoodles printspeed... So yes - nice idea for a mod, and worth doing for the heck of it - but don't do so on the assumption you'll get actual performance benefits from it.

Ok, got it semi dialed in. Now I just want it printing faster!!!!!

So what seems to be your biggest limiting factor?

Limiting factor seems to be not knowing how to properly speed it up without losing quality. Clearly I can increase the feed rate 150% which really gets things moving but not sure how I should increase the flow rate? 1:1? I really need someone's high speed slic3r settings since mine are slow and suck, especially bridging gaps.

Also, seems like it will handle the speed fine, it's just getting the hot end flowing correctly hmm how to go about this?

It has been my experience with higher speeds that temp is critical (higher).  If you really want more speed you should change the speed settings in your profile and adjust your flows by tweaking the extrusion width in the advanced tab in your profile.
Remember you can make all the changes you want as long as you save it with a different name.  That way you won't loose your originals.  I have also found that flow rate slider in R-H is a poor way to adjust flow.  Feed rate also changes the flow at the same time.  It just increases by percentage to all motors.  Flow rate to a point only changes the extruder and past that point forces the others.  For example Flow rate at 80 will start to slow the speeds also.  I am guessing it is a safety feature but I don't know that for certain just observation.
Also bearings and spectra line (instead of belts) make a huge difference when it comes to speed as far as reducing backlash.
A bigger nozzle (I use .60) can pick up the speeds of a print also.  elmoret uses .80
Hope that helps.

I dont know what speeds you are trying to get right now. I have my perimeters and travel up to 150mm/s. Have to remember to go into the cooling section of Slicer and lower minimum layer time, otherwise it will slow down simply because the layer does not have enough to do.

So, you will have to play with your jerk settings in EEPROM to adjust corners. I personally dont use the sliders while printing. For starters, it accelerates your retraction speeds as well, and if your retraction is already maxed, you will skip steps. Make a slicer profile for your faster speed. There is not much to change other than the speeds and heat.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Well its been forever. I have been doing a bunch of other things. This weekend hope to get back to printing some goodies, and probably updating the software. Stay tuned! hope everyone is doing well.

Nice to see you back

I'm assuming that this is sort of a general discussion for the Solidoodle 3. Currently, my printer seems to be jamming pretty frequently. What happens is that it seems the top of the hot end seems to be getting to hot, and when the stepper motor does a quick retract, extend procedure between moving to new extrusion segments, the PLA gets folded up and hardens above the hot end as such: https://38.media.tumblr.com/118e46fabe8 … 1_1280.jpg.

I'm curious of any of you guys are having this problem frequently and what is your solution? My hot end was set to 185F previously, and I'm trying to run it at 195 now. The jamming has happened quite a bit, and I don't remember the temperature settings every time.

Sounds like a clog and the solution is an E3d.

wardjr wrote:

Sounds like a clog and the solution is an E3d.

+1

I had the same problem with the stock hotend AND 100% of the time I clogged while printing PLA.'
I have printed PLA many times since upgrading to the E3D, and the only clog I suffered was from user error.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Okay, so it seems that the problem with the current hot end is that it's a little short, so the heat is travelling up the copper/brass tube and through the PEEK. I guess the solution is to perhaps extend the length of the copper/brass tube and add a little fan, similar to the E3D.

On a different note, I just encountered a problem with slic3r today: http://rotf101.tumblr.com/post/99299343 … oring-this

Either of you guys know why this might be happening?

Thanks in advanced.

If you have perimeters set higher than the width of that lip Slic3r may have a hard time figuring out what to do.

What exactly do you mean by that? The walls about about 1mm thick, and I am going from Solidworks part to STL to Slic3r.