Re: Solidoodle 3 Mods, and issues.

Means that if those walls are thinner than what Slic3r will generate under its current minimum perimeters settings, things can go wrong smile

In RH, under the Slicer Tab, hit configure under Slic3r.  On the Layers and Perimeters tab, try a setting of 1 for Perimeters.  Also, uncheck the "Extra Perimeters if Needed" box.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

BTW...Feel free to post the .stl if you want someone to try it...

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

IronMan wrote:

Means that if those walls are thinner than what Slic3r will generate under its current minimum perimeters settings, things can go wrong smile

In RH, under the Slicer Tab, hit configure under Slic3r.  On the Layers and Perimeters tab, try a setting of 1 for Perimeters.  Also, uncheck the "Extra Perimeters if Needed" box.

Yep, that's what I meant.  Basically if you have a 1 mm lip and your extrusion width is .48.  Slic3r would know what to do if perimeters were set to one.  When it extrudes both sides (the perimeter) you'd get .96 mm's.  However if you have perimeters set to 2 it is not sure what to do since that would be 1.96 mm's.  Therefore it just fills in the whole thing.
Does that make sence?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I attempted both of those. I had my perimeters set to 3 before and "Extra Perimeters if Needed" was checked, but no dice. The STL is at the following: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q6xn8gqex7fm … LDPRT?dl=0

If you guys could check it out, it'd be great. Thanks!

Seemed to slice fine...

http://i.imgur.com/qp1sbJC.jpg

BTW, you posted the Solidworks file, not the .stl; I opened it in SW and you do have some errors in your secondary extruded cut geometry.  You may want to repair that, but I processed the .stl as it was and it seemed to work OK.

Here is the .stl I processed:

Post's attachments

Part4.STL 80.94 kb, 3 downloads since 2014-10-10 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Oh that's my mistake. I tried to fix the Solidworks file before, but it didn't affect the STL, so I didn't bother to try and figure out what was actually wrong.

I noticed that you're not using the Solidoodle Repetier-Host, so I also tried updating to the Repetier-Host directly from them, and it seemed to solve the problem. I guess the Solidoodle version might just be using an older version of Slic3r, which has this problem.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

182 (edited by slimstar2 2014-10-12 03:09:05)

i use a heavy weight paper as a gauge .1 mm thick . I set it so it has a slight drag and it works great .  I recently replaced my heater pad with a larger one from Ebay
Seller     solidset
Solidoodle 3 Replacement Silicone HeatPad HeatBed 200mm x 200mm or 8" x 8"
( 191285757844 )  .

Pulls twice the current , heats the bed up in 1/3 the time the original did , heats the bed area more evenly then the original . Cost was about $21.   DOES REQUIRE!!!!!!! a relay hooked to original board pins , and i used a more powerful 20 Amp power supply . I had had many sticking problems before I did this upgrade. I tried every solution offered ,ABS glue ,glue sticks (5 different brands) ,sand blasted glass, painters tape , hairspray ,  added brims to prints ,all kinds of temp settings  I tried them all . I did this upgrade went back to simple glass bed with cheap hairspray and add a 4 mm brim to all my  prints and went from 60 % failure to stick rate to less than 5% ( usually if I get lazy and don't  respray after 2 prints in same area it will lift a corner or 2 ). Hope this helps it worked great for me. Bill D

SD3, RAMPS 1.4, Lawsy's carriages modified by me, 2 SSRs, E3D V6, 2 Power supplies, Independent monitoring of both power supplies (amps and volts) also extruder and bed temps, Blue Tooth connectivity, bearings in all axis & rotational points, Y axis direct drive.  Remotely controlled power box on / off . Gecko Tec build plate . Renamed FrankenDoodle

Sorry i've been away from this forum for a short while.  The machine is for the most part dialed in. Works amazing. I'd like to update the software to keep current, still haven't done that, but plan on to shortly as I will be using it daily for a gig coming up soon. Anyone printing anything cool? Anyone make it down to CES2015 this year? I wish i could have gone!

So whats up with thingiverse, went to login and having hard time finding my account, than i find some A hole who took my name...

Nevermind found it. Needless to say printer is back up and running. Need to use it more! Hows everyone doing?

diyengineer wrote:

Nevermind found it. Needless to say printer is back up and running. Need to use it more! Hows everyone doing?

All good here!!! Glad to see you back.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

187 (edited by diyengineer 2015-02-20 21:47:41)

Id like to wipe the software out and start over from scratch, settings, etc. Id also like to start over with PLA and not ABS since overall it just looks like an easier time. I see repetier looks way different now, as well as slic3r.

Will everything work with the solidoodle 3
?

Pretty much but seems like a waste of effort to me.
What versions of RH and Slic3r are you currently using?

189 (edited by diyengineer 2015-02-20 22:57:39)

So far so good actually just as easy to use. forgot what my pid settings of my bed were, and were to enter them in, have to look around i wrote it down somewhere...

EDIT!

Nevermind i forgot when i edited it previously, must have saved it to the little control board? checked temp, seems perfect.

going through and double checking everything repetier V1.06 is much better so far it appears.. Slic3r is a lot newer also.

diyengineer wrote:

So far so good actually just as easy to use. forgot what my pid settings of my bed were, and were to enter them in, have to look around i wrote it down somewhere...

EDIT!

Nevermind i forgot when i edited it previously, must have saved it to the little control board? checked temp, seems perfect.

going through and double checking everything repetier V1.06 is much better so far it appears.. Slic3r is a lot newer also.

You must have been using some pretty old versions wink
Glad you're up and running.

Ward, I shot you a message.

Was wondering what all was involved with upgrading like you did to the:
bulldog XL extruder
http://www.reprapdiscount.com/mechanics … ruder.html

e3d hotend:
http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Full-Kit

They items plug and play, or require a lot of software modification? What would these allow me to do better?

I sent you a PM

I'm going to finish dialing the machine in and calibrating it this weekend with a few more advanced prints and ill go from there. I'd like to try out a print that actually takes up quite a bit of volume and let it run for 12+ hours to see how it does.

Another quick test. Going to print a pen holder next.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:481276

How do i make a profile for ABS and a separate profile for PLA?

150,000 lines of code, and 3.5 hours into a massive plastic nut thats 1.5 scaled up, I find it FROZEN! Nothing indicating what went wront, heat on extruder and table still on (house burner). Nothing in melt down mode though. I believe my webcam app i was using for time lapse froze? Anyways, saw where it left off in the Gcode, repetier doesn't make it easy as I could figure out to restart from a specific line, and editing is a nightmare inside their "edit" with that many lines of code.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.4.html

Attempted to use notepad, and wouldn't let me scroll through tens of thousands of lines of code very easy. Used notepad++ and allows you to pick your start and end point to delete without having to click and drag.. super easy.. heated up extruder and table, zero all 3 axis, moved back to my last line of code manually, loaded the edited g code and matched up perfectly! So far this is the longest it has printed so well see how it goes if it freezes again. Ive abandoned my webcam app for now, which is free and easy to use "chrono-lapse". I'd like to add electronics cooling fan, since i can only imagine things are toasty back there.

That USB connection takes very little to cause interruption.  A web cam or any other applications starting or stopping can cause a failure.
The one thing you probably missed while you were a way is a user had his printer burn his house down.
Definitely don't leave that thing unattended.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/6608/bew … use-fires/

Wow! That's crazy. Ya, I don't trust it any more... holy crap.

I used to leave mine all the time now I think twice, especially with bed heater like ours.

Ya no kidden, not any more haha. Have you found a better way for estimating prints? Repetier is so far off.