Re: E3D Titan extruder

viperz28 wrote:

My Titan is on the way, can someone point me to a guide on how to install it? I have already done the e3d v6 mod on my 1.0.

Are you serious?

ssauntson wrote:
viperz28 wrote:

My Titan is on the way, can someone point me to a guide on how to install it? I have already done the e3d v6 mod on my 1.0.

Are you serious?

Sorry, I am on another planet

Did make me laugh though, so thank you for that. To install a Titan from the E3D v6 conversion. Just follow the guide I wrote but don't drill any holes just use the Stepper motor bracket and Daughterboard bracket

Enjoy, I love mine

ssauntson wrote:

Did make me laugh though, so thank you for that. To install a Titan from the E3D v6 conversion. Just follow the guide I wrote but don't drill any holes just use the Stepper motor bracket and Daughterboard bracket

Enjoy, I love mine

Made me laugh when I saw your response, I was on the same brain wave I was on before I read this thread last night.

105 (edited by Telemachus 2016-04-19 01:27:39)

Stuart

I for one would not be offended at all if you copied your guide to your post of the first page.  It ended up on page 2 or 3 and most newcomers probably won't read the whole thread...

Or maybe mpuffo could link to it in OP?

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

Edited my post (second one in this thread) with a link.

107 (edited by scobo 2016-04-19 05:45:18)

Regarding the tensioner, does it come with some sort of guide as to how much tension to use for different types of filament or is it just a case of trial and error ?

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

And how is the tension adjusted?

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

109 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-19 11:07:37)

Telemachus wrote:

And how is the tension adjusted?

The tensioner is adjusted by a 3mm Allan Key, I found it very very easy to get the right setting. There is a guide on the clear cover to see how much tension you have set. As in the guide, I ended up with 2.5 positive turns. One other thing that became evident last night. The stock Extruder & E3D v6, I found did not like pulling/feeding filament towards the end of the reel, The Titan as no problems with this.

Good morning

Observation

With the Stock Extruder installed, the Extruder stepper motor would get very hot, after this Titan Install, I am pleasantly surprised that after a 6 hour print the steeper motor is warm. I think another Positive for the Extruder

110 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-19 06:58:55)

Telemachus wrote:

I'll fly you from Chicago and provide you a work area and all the parts.  You take your time with my Da Vinci, ok?

smile

I am so tempted.  If I am upgrading the hotend, why not just throw this bad boy on and toss the stock stepper/extruder??

Can I now claim the trip, it's not that much further from London wink

ssauntson wrote:
Telemachus wrote:

I'll fly you from Chicago and provide you a work area and all the parts.  You take your time with my Da Vinci, ok?

smile

I am so tempted.  If I am upgrading the hotend, why not just throw this bad boy on and toss the stock stepper/extruder??

Didn't realize you were across the pond!  Your tutorial is so detailed that you forfeited the trip...  I think I got this one on my own now!

wink

112 (edited by viperz28 2016-04-19 16:44:23)

Telemachus wrote:
ssauntson wrote:
Telemachus wrote:

smile

Didn't realize you were across the pond!  Your tutorial is so detailed that you forfeited the trip...  I think I got this one on my own now!

wink

If you are ever in San Diego, look me up. We can go fly drones and I will buy you a beer....or two :-)

I have a 500 CP heli that needs to be dusted off a little.   Other than my cheap Syma quads, I haven't gotten into quadcopters too much.  They are almost too... easy!

My Titan should be here tomorrow.  Still gotta wait 23 days for my birthday for the Missus will release it and the v6 to me!

viperz28 wrote:
Telemachus wrote:
ssauntson wrote:

wink

If you are ever in San Diego, look me up. We can go fly drones and I will buy you a beer....or two :-)

Telemachus wrote:

My Titan should be here tomorrow.  Still gotta wait 23 days for my birthday for the Missus will release it and the v6 to me!

Away man, get it on the Davinci and tell her to get you something else. big_smile

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

scobo wrote:
Telemachus wrote:

Away man, get it on the Davinci and tell her to get you something else. big_smile

Don't want to rub it in but mine is out for delivery :-)

Could I use this with a Zebra plate? Curious about the distance from the plate to the extruder

Telemachus wrote:
ssauntson wrote:
Telemachus wrote:

smile

wink

I have OCD. That should explain a lot of things. Not a good combination a Brit with OCD.....

Well mine should be here in a day or 2.  I ordered it over the weekend.  I look forward to trying it out.

DaVinci 1.0A with Repetier .92
Simplify 3D
E3DV6

119 (edited by Telemachus 2016-04-19 19:31:59)

viperz28 wrote:
scobo wrote:
Telemachus wrote:

Don't want to rub it in but mine is out for delivery :-)

Rub all you want...  I'm technically still under warranty with XYZ (minus the little thing on it called repetier!) so I have committed to using stock Da Vinci hotend until that time.    I'm confident the new setup is going to save me hours in messed-up prints and post processing cleanup.  So I'm stoked no matter what.

Hmm, I may be getting my Bday gift early.   Monitoring my current job from work through Octoprint, and got the following:

"Error: One heater seems decoupled from thermistor - disabling all for safety!"

"Error: Printer set into dry run mode until restart!"

It stopped the print and went to home in X and Y.  I just had my wife turn it off until I can get home to check it out.

Here's crossing my fingers that the thermistor on the stock hotend failed... I got one of those sitting in a box with a pretty v6!

120 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-19 20:08:02)

Here's crossing my fingers that the thermistor on the stock hotend failed... I got one of those sitting in a box with a pretty v6!

Tell you good lady, that a Brit as told you that with your new Extruder you'll have more free time to do family related things......... Brownie points by the million

121 (edited by viperz28 2016-04-19 21:23:52)

Will advise as I progress

http://soliforum.com/i/?7QlCg6K.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?dmEWh1H.jpg

I have a box similar to that, except mine is missing the main parts wink

That is a really nice mod. if I had not already purchased and installed the bondtech i'd do this mod for sure

The nice thing about this mod is you keep you z height and I think its lighter then then bondtech by a lot.

124 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-19 22:07:14)

It really is. I have been playing today and have managed 18hours of printing at quite fast speeds. It works out at 20g lighter than the E3D v6 mod or a whopping 108g lighter than the stock Extruder. As I wrote previously. The Extruder stepper motor does not get a fraction as hot as it does with the stock Extruder

I'm well pleased

108g... that's a drastic drop for a non-bowden setup.   and FLEXIES to boot!