Re: E3D Titan extruder

Thanks for documenting all of this.   

You slice with E3D?  What speed settings?

Do the prints appear any better than pre-titan?

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

77 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-18 02:04:44)

Telemachus wrote:

Thanks for documenting all of this.   

You slice with E3D?  What speed settings?

Do the prints appear any better than pre-titan?

I slice through the software, Repetier host, Slic3r, Cura or Simplify3D, at present I am using the speed settings already set in a fresh install of Repetier 0.92, I do think it's too fast and will be playing with the settings over the next few days.

The Prints are similar to when I had just the E3D v6, however I think the point of this further upgrade, after talking to Joshua @ E3D is that the Titan Extruder is able to print all filaments. With just the standard E3D v6 installed, on a non Bowden setup. It was difficult to successfully print flexibles. These filaments will also be tested over the next week.

I will be testing these settings tomorrow after noting the default settings. I can then judge any improvements.
Test Layer and perimeters settings:
Perimeters (minimum): 3
Solid layers : Top : 4 Bottom : 4

Test Speed:
Perimeters: 50 mm/s
Small perimeters: 30 mm/s
External perimeters: 50 %
Infill: 70 mm/s
Solid infill: 50 mm/s
Top silid infill: 40 mm/s
Support material: 50 mm/s
Support material interface: 100%
Bridges: 50 mm/s
Gap fill: 20 mm/s

Travel : 150 mm/s

First layer speed : 30 %

Test Filament Settings:
Diameters: 1.75 mm
Extrusion multiplier: 1
ABS
Temperature (°C) : Extruder: 230° - Bed: 90°
Cooling: Enable Auto cooling - Slow down if layer print time is below : 20 s - Fan speed: min=100 Max=100 (Other parameters = defaut)
PLA
Temperature (°C) : Extruder: 210° - Bed: 60°
Cooling: Enable Auto cooling - Slow down if layer print time is below : 20 s (Other parameters = defaut)

Hope this helps

Hah, I meant do you slice with S3D, not E3D.  Sorry for the acronym brain-fart.

Your speed settings are super fast.  My 1.0A would shift in the X or Y plane FOR SURE with those speed settings and stock setup.

Any estimate over the weight change from stock with your new setup?  I intend to weight pre and post to help answer that.

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

With the standard E3D mod, I can print print flexibles but no faster than about 10mm/s or I get problems. Hopefully, the Titan will allow faster speeds.
I currently use an extruder idler printed with pla with has bearings in the centre. It's an improvement over the stock idler but I reckon I'll still go ahead with a Titan upgrade at some point.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

80 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-18 08:41:51)

Telemachus wrote:

Hah, I meant do you slice with S3D, not E3D.  Sorry for the acronym brain-fart.

Your speed settings are super fast.  My 1.0A would shift in the X or Y plane FOR SURE with those speed settings and stock setup.

Any estimate over the weight change from stock with your new setup?  I intend to weight pre and post to help answer that.

No problem you did confuse me, we all brain farts in some form lol

The stated speeds are for testing. If you see the YouTube video, you will see the speed used for the test print. That is the actual speed....... My only observation. It needs a slower first few layers....

As for weight..... I think because I hadn't eaten, I was slightly lighter post install. pmsl. OK, good joke eh!

I have no clue about the weight difference, I'm not sure why I would need it. From memory, I can't imagine it would be much of a difference. I would say the Titan would be lighter, as you leave out all the stock extruder metalwork.

Hope these help.

The weight of the carriage contributes to shifting at higher speeds.  Especially as my steppers motors heat up during a long print, they are more likely to skip with the force that comes with increased acceleration.  Lowering the mass would reduce that force...

82 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-18 12:33:25)

Arrrgh I did not appreciate that.

I am more than certain that removing the Original Extruders Metal Mount, Tensioner, from the E3D v6 conversion, would leave this mod lighter

I will attempt to find the answer.

83 (edited by scobo 2016-04-18 12:39:59)

ssauntson wrote:

I am more than certain that removing the Original Extruders Metal Mount, Tensioner, from the E3D v6 conversion, would leave this mod lighter

I would tend to agree with that.
From what I can see, the Titan is about 90% plastic so it stands to reason it will be lighter than the stock metal extruder assembly/mount.
That should certainly help a little with higher speeds although the stock stepper drivers will still limit this somewhat. They're also the cause of the steppers being noisy, something to do with them not being tuned properly, apparently.

84 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-18 13:21:55)

The exact weight difference is 20g lighter. Between the E3D v6 original mod and  This Titan Extruder mod, I have just had the Titan weighed and it is 60g, the weight of the metal work removed was 80g, I don't think I need do the maths

Regards

85 (edited by Telemachus 2016-04-18 14:21:16)

There was another thread recently about changing out the stepper drivers with standard ones used for a reprap printers.

Especially on some of the older 1.0 motherboards, it looks to be almost a direct wiring swap out and much more simple than a complete RAMPS setup.

I would imagine higher quality drivers and this hotend/extruder setup would elevate a $400 davinci into a different class.

I'd still take a 1.0/1.0a over a pro just because of repetier!

86 (edited by scobo 2016-04-18 14:28:35)

Telemachus wrote:

I would imagine higher quality drivers and this hotend/extruder setup would elevate a $400 davinci into a different class.

For sure !
Even an E3D and repetier make a big difference in print quality and reduced stepper noise.

This is the thread I read re. Drivers

http://www.boogieland.org/ReadBlog/Da-V … ement.aspx

I agree with you both, doing a few mods takes things to whole different level. We'd better keep quite or you know who may take notice lol

Regards

88 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-18 15:11:24)

I'm enjoying this new setup..... I have two Da Vinci 1.0, one with the standard E3D v6 added and then obviously this one with the Titan and E3D v6. I am so tempted to add a Titan to both

More testing about to start.

Regards

Stuart, how do you find loading filament with the Titan ?
I sometimes have a wee bit of a struggle getting my filament to line up with the entrance to the E3D. Another reason to upgrade I suppose.

ssauntson wrote:

I'm enjoying this new setup..... I have two Da Vinci 1.0, one with the standard E3D v6 added and then obviously this one with the Titan and E3D v6. I am so tempted to add a Titan to both

Regards

Do you print flexible on both?

91 (edited by scobo 2016-04-18 16:55:52)

viperz28 wrote:
ssauntson wrote:

Regards

Flexible will print with a standard E3D mod (without a Titan) but you need to slow the print speed right down to 10mm/s or slower.
I'm hopefull Stuart will be able to tell us he can print much faster with the Titan once he's had the chance to try flexibles.

92 (edited by viperz28 2016-04-18 16:56:39)

scobo wrote:
viperz28 wrote:
ssauntson wrote:

Regards

Flexible will print with a standard E3D mod (without a Titan) but you need to slow the print speed right down to 10mm/s or slower.

I tried that but the filament still finds a way out of the gears, hum, I will try 10 then, I was at 20.

93 (edited by scobo 2016-04-18 17:02:46)

viperz28 wrote:
scobo wrote:
viperz28 wrote:

I tried that but the filament still finds a way out of the gears

Actually, I forgot I'm using a printed extruder idler with bearings, that might be the difference.
You also need to reduce any gap directly above and below the extruder gears to as little as possible.
This is my setup, sorry it's a bit dark but you can just about make out the filament guides above and below the gears.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/scobodon/c04dbc9962218783fbf99022a95f6b3f_zpsz2ctgctc.jpg

scobo wrote:
viperz28 wrote:
scobo wrote:

I tried that but the filament still finds a way out of the gears

Actually, I forgot I'm using a printed extruder idler with bearings, that might be the difference.
You also need to reduce any gap directly above and below the extruder gears to as little as possible.

Is the extruder idler on Thingiverse?

95 (edited by scobo 2016-04-18 17:41:19)

I designed it myself but I can upload it here later if you like.

Edit : Here you go if anyone wants it. You'll also need two 3x8x3mm bearings.
         Mine is PLA, it seems to be harder wearing than an ABS one.
         I also printed one in Bronzefill (which is rock hard) should the PLA one wear out.

Post's attachments

idler.stl 326.37 kb, 16 downloads since 2016-04-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Stuart,

So is the drilling guide in your tutorial different than the one found here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:608560

Is that where the 2mm shift down on the extruder comes from?

I already have a piece of glass on top of my print bed that takes a way 3mm of print room, so I'd rather keep the hotend up higher.

scobo wrote:

I sometimes have a wee bit of a struggle getting my filament to line up with the entrance to the E3D. Another reason to upgrade I suppose.

have the filament straight and it goes in so easily

98 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-18 19:51:32)

Telemachus wrote:

Stuart,

So is the drilling guide in your tutorial different than the one found here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:608560

Is that where the 2mm shift down on the extruder comes from?

I already have a piece of glass on top of my print bed that takes a way 3mm of print room, so I'd rather keep the hotend up higher.

The drill /cutting guide in the thingyverse I modified. I have now written if you have already done the E3D v6 mod. DO NOT drill anymore holes, it is even easier to install, you will however need too print the Stepper Motor Bracket,

ssauntson wrote:
scobo wrote:

have the filament straight and it goes in so easily

Yeah, I'm finding that's the key with my current setup too.

100 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-18 21:53:04)

Hopefully you guys will enjoy this, I am thinking ordering more Titans and adding them to my other printers. I have enjoyed the smooth workings of the one I have just installed. So much, it is Awesome. It as definitely taken my budget Da Vinci 1.0 to a totally different level of machine. I have been playing with tinkering some settings and doing different tests, updates to follow. Mainly PLA & ABS so far. Then I'll move onto more exotic filaments