Re: E3D Titan extruder

You can and should use the stock motor.  I just had this short stack nema on there for the picture.

27 (edited by scobo 2016-04-14 06:26:40)

evanalmighty wrote:

You can and should use the stock motor.  I just had this short stack nema on there for the picture.

Excellent, thanks again.
Sounds like a pretty easy mod in that case.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

28 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-16 15:26:20)

scobo wrote:

This is getting really interesting, thanks for taking the time to post this evanalmighty.
If the Titan is as good as they say, this mod could change the Davinci with an E3D from a good printer to a really great one !
Just one other thing, is that a stock stepper motor or does it need another type ?

I can confirm the original Stepper motor can be used, along with the original connectors. Although you will need to run a 12v Fan power module and like myself, I left the original breakout board. And flashed with repetier 0.92

29 (edited by scobo 2016-04-14 11:13:58)

ssauntson wrote:

Although you will need to run a 12v Fan power module and like myself, I left the original breakout board. And flashed with RH....

I already have an E3D V6 Lite installed with 12v fan so not a problem.
I for one would certainly appreciate you uploading your documentation here. I'm on the verge of ordering a Titan myself.

scobo wrote:
ssauntson wrote:

Although you will need to run a 12v Fan power module and like myself, I left the original breakout board. And flashed with RH....

I already have an E3D V6 Lite installed with 12v fan so not a problem.
I for one would certainly appreciate you uploading your documentation here. I'm on the verge of ordering a Titan myself.

The Titan should arrive in tomorrow's post. I plan on starting the install shortly after. I will post updates here asap!

Thanks for the information.  So it looks like a fairly "easy plug an play" for the Davinci printers that already have an E3D v6.

evanalmighty, can you clarify this statement?

"You'll lose some Z height so just add an extension to the Z end stop trigger arm and call it a day."

So an extension can compensate for the height lost?  I am good at following directions on things like this but if you can give me a more visual description of how that would work I would appreciate it.

I will probably be ordering this soon.

Also what would be the proper settings that I would need to change in the slicer?  I use Simplify 3D myself.

Thanks

Mark

DaVinci 1.0A with Repetier .92
Simplify 3D
E3DV6

32 (edited by Telemachus 2016-04-15 05:35:41)

$68 USD seems sorta high to me...  but I spent more than that on Thai food last night, so I don't know why the hold up. I have it in my shopping cart. I figure if I am pulling the carriage out to put e3d and, might as well throw this bad boy in

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

33 (edited by scobo 2016-04-15 14:09:50)

Telemachus wrote:

$68 USD seems sorta high to me...  but I spent more than that on Thai food last night, so I don't know why the hold up. I have it in my shopping cart. I figure if I am pulling the carriage out to put e3d and, might as well throw this bad boy in

If I understand correctly, you won't need to remove the carriage as there's no cutting/drilling involved. I didn't bother removing mine anyway, just made the cuts by going in from the from the front door with a dremel.
Regarding the z end stop, I think it's just a case of adding something to the trigger to reduce the bed height?
Something like this .... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:621440

Yes scobo got it.

35 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-15 15:02:27)

I'm doing this slightly differently. I plan on installing the Titan so that the nozzle sits in the same place as the original. Also in a similar place to the E3D v6 Da Vinci Mod. I have received mine this morning and will shortly be starting the measuring etc.... If you have already installed a V6, I don't imagine it will be too much more work. I know this is not what some would do. But I personally feel, to have the nozzle in a similar height to the original will mean less mods and adaptations.

You all will have your own opinion.....

So I take that if you already have an E3D installed with the mod that requires the stepper to be raised slightly and the carriage cut/drilled, you could simply attach the Titan in the same position and not need to adjust the z end stop ?
If so, that would be a super easy upgrade !

37 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-15 16:41:46)

Here is the good news.

If you have already modified your Da Vinci printer too accomandate an e3D v6, you will only need to print the 2mm Spacer
which Joshua @ E3D as already produced on Thingyverse.

once installed it looks as though with the above modification done, you will have too lower the heated bed by around 1mm. I have looked at mine and this will be accomandated very easily. I will now proceed to install the Titan and report back

if you havent seen the E3D v6 modification. here is the link to the youtube series 1 - 7

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … bjjrRY8MCG

Enjoy

38 (edited by scobo 2016-04-15 17:04:20)

Great stuff, 1mm is no problem !
This'll be the spacer ....... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1472259
Looking forward to your write-up.

39 (edited by Telemachus 2016-04-15 18:32:23)

You all tempted me too much.  10% off with Kickstarter code at Filastruder brought it down to $63 shipped.

Still won't get it until my birthday in May, though.

sad

I may not appreciate the difference that the Titan makes as I will be upgrading both the hotend and extruder at the same time.  But I will trust you all when you say it will be worth it...  I have reached the limit of what the stock head can do, I believe.

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

40 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-15 18:46:18)

Telemachus wrote:

You all tempted me too much.  10% off with Kickstarter code at Filastruder brought it down to $63 shipped.

Still won't get it until my birthday in May, though.

sad

I may not appreciate the difference that the Titan makes as I will be upgrading both the hotend and extruder at the same time.  But I will trust you all when you say it will be worth it...  I have reached the limit of what the stock head can do, I believe.

Compared to the stock hotend. the E3D v6 is like chalk n cheese. You will not regret changing it.

41 (edited by scobo 2016-04-15 19:38:12)

Yeah, the E3D blows even a well modded stock hotend out the water !
I reckon the Titan should take the Davinci up to the premier league.

Which part of that was easier than running a 12 volt line from the main PCB??  lol

I've had 12 volts up front for a while for my layer fan... it's getting the carriage out that looks to be like the biggest pain to me.

Are you using stock thermister, or e3d with updated table in FW?

I look forward to your next installment!

43 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-15 22:24:48)

Telemachus wrote:

Which part of that was easier than running a 12 volt line from the main PCB??  lol

I've had 12 volts up front for a while for my layer fan... it's getting the carriage out that looks to be like the biggest pain to me.

Are you using stock thermister, or e3d with updated table in FW?

I look forward to your next installment!

Ok, I use the original Daughter board for a layer fan, and the 12v is for the E3d fan. I have mine flashed with Repetier 0.92 firmware ( https://github.com/luc-github/Repetier-Firmware-0.92 )and have dedicated the fan on the daughter board for use.

Taking the carriage out only takes 5 minutes Max. I have done it a few times and can now do it with my eyes closed.

As for the thermistor this is already set in the firmware. LUC did most of the setup

I hope to have it up and running tomorrow, ready for a test print

44 (edited by Telemachus 2016-04-15 21:44:49)

So the 12V fan on the v6 is always on (and at full speed)?

For those with the 1.0A, I am surprised that more people haven't looked into this option to gain firmware control of the second fan:

https://github.com/luc-github/Repetier- … /issues/64

It looks like a 1k resistor and NPN transistor are all that are needed to populate the second fan plug.

45 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-15 22:28:18)

Telemachus wrote:

So the 12V fan on the v6 is always on (and at full speed)?

For those with the 1.0A, I am surprised that more people haven't looked into this option to gain firmware control of the second fan:

https://github.com/luc-github/Repetier- … /issues/64

It looks like a 1k resistor and NPN transistor are all that are needed to populate the second fan plug.

The V6 fan is on full power as designed by E3d to keep the filament tract cool, the other fan for the layers is controlled by software ie. Repetier host, Simplify3d
You can have then controller as and when needed. The software decides depending on layer time etc.

"I have mine flashed with Marlin/Repetier firmware"

Could you clarify this statement for future readers please?

You are either running Marlin firmware or Repetier firmware, not both.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

"I have mine flashed with Marlin/Repetier firmware"

Could you clarify this statement for future readers please?

You are either running Marlin firmware or Repetier firmware, not both.

Thank you have amended.

48 (edited by mpoffo 2016-04-15 22:39:06)

Thanks Ssauntson for moving on this.  For me it really looks like a drop in replacement.  I already have the E3Dv6 in there, 12v fan for the v6 and the modifications for it.  I just would need to replace the XYZ extruder with the Titan.

What size bolts did you use?  The originals?

DaVinci 1.0A with Repetier .92
Simplify 3D
E3DV6

How do you get the gear off of the stepper motor?  Heat it up and then pry?  Pinion puller?

50 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-20 08:57:50)

Telemachus wrote:

How do you get the gear off of the stepper motor?  Heat it up and then pry?  Pinion puller?

Hi,

I removed the original gear by heating while holding the gear, Once it reached the right temp, no prying was needed. Holding it off a surface by the gear, I used the stepper motors weight and it fell off....

Does this explain?