Re: E3D Titan extruder

Yes thanks

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

Very nice! You might want to get in touch with E3D as they often provide store credit for writeup like this.

Why do you think you need a 40 watt heater? 30 watts is plenty for up to 300C, 40 watts can get hot enough to melt the aluminum heater block if the controller fails.

E3D includes 30w by default for a reason. smile

53 (edited by scobo 2016-04-16 15:50:27)

Great job !
Regarding the heater cartridge, I just used the stock one, it works fine.
Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the Titans performance, especially with flexibles.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

I like the daughter board mount.  Are you using stock thermister?

Da Vinci 1.0a.  Repetier 0.92.  E3D V6.  Titan Extruder.  Sllic3r.  Octoprint on Raspberry Pi B+.

Thank you Guys for your kind comments and feedback. I will not bother changing anything.... you have saved me a job

Respect!

56 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-16 21:00:26)

Telemachus wrote:

I like the daughter board mount.  Are you using stock thermister?

Im using the thermistor which comes with the E3D Hotend the stock thermistor does not fit the corresponding hole in the Hotend

I coudn't get the stock thermistor to fit so just went with the one in the E3D kit.
I also got rid of the daughterboard and just wired everything directly. Don't use the filament sensor anyway.

58 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-16 17:36:13)

Finally the printer is back together and I can confirm I have only lost 1.5mm of Z-axis. I am not too conerned, I dont think i have ever used that bit lol.

A few pictures of the nozzle height
http://soliforum.com/i/?PUVOhDk.jpg

and wiring
http://soliforum.com/i/?qOQcpBM.jpg

As the nozzle now sits towards the left more, I shall have to work out the new bed size for it too print in the middle and then change these settings in the eeprom.

That is me done. I am doing no more to this printer today. Testing can wait till later or tomorrow after the Grand Prix

Thank you for taking the time too read this.

59 (edited by scobo 2016-04-16 21:24:40)

ssauntson wrote:

That is me done. I am doing no more to this printer today. Testing can wait till later or tomorrow after the Grand Prix.

Well, you've certainly earned a break !
No Sky Sports for me. I'll need to wait for the highlights tomorrow afternoon. sad
Looks like Rosbergs' race again anyway.

scobo wrote:
ssauntson wrote:

That is me done. I am doing no more to this printer today. Testing can wait till later or tomorrow after the Grand Prix.

Well, you've certainly earned a break !
No Sky Sports for me. I'll need to wait for the highlights tomorrow afternoon. sad
Looks like Rosbergs' race again anyway.

Cheers matey,

I also missed my midday meds and so am feeling it right now. I got so engrossed in the installation I totally forgot about them, thank you for your kind words

Stuart

61 (edited by mpoffo 2016-04-16 22:28:22)

Thanks ssauntson .  I look forward to your testing.  I hope all goes well.  If you can post any changes you made in your printer/slicer for the new extruder that would be awesome. 

Get some rest and feel better.

Mark

DaVinci 1.0A with Repetier .92
Simplify 3D
E3DV6

mpoffo wrote:

Thanks ssauntson .  I look forward to your testing.  I hope all goes well.  If you can post any changes you made in your printer/slicer for the new extruder that would be awesome. 

Get some rest and feel better.

Mark

Thank you Mark, I plan to update with bed size, EEPROM etc....

63 (edited by Telemachus 2016-04-17 08:05:05)

Thanks for posting this.  A few questions:

1.  why did the v6 get moved down 2 mm?  Could it not have stayed on the more raised position and still use the titan?  Did you adjust the trigger length for the end stop or just move the bed down with the spring screws?

2. Did you turn off the filament sensor in the firmware or just stick some filament in it (the second being the only likely option for stock fw)

3. Does any adjustment have to be made to the little cleaning piece at x/y home?  Does cleaning still work?

1 - After I fitted my E3D I lowered the bed with the screws to allow for the lower position of the hotend.
2 - After flashing repetier, the filament sensor is rendered useless as repetier doesn't use it. That's one of the reasons I ditched the pcb.
3 - I didn't find I had to make any adjustment to the cleaning piece although I no longer use that either.

My only concern with this mod is removing the stock gear from the stepper but you reckon the stepper pretty much fell off when you heated the gear enough ?
It's unlikely you'd ever need to but I take it you could replace the stock gear the same way, by heating it then putting it back on the shaft and it should tighten up when it cools ?

Telemachus wrote:

Thanks for posting this.  A few questions:

1.  why did the v6 get moved down 2 mm?  Could it not have stayed on the more raised position and still use the titan?  Did you adjust the trigger length for the end stop or just move the bed down with the spring screws?

2. Did you turn off the filament sensor in the firmware or just stick some filament in it (the second being the only likely option for stock fw)

3. Does any adjustment have to be made to the little cleaning piece at x/y home?  Does cleaning still work?

Answers

1, Yes I could have left it in the raised position. I decided i wanted the nozzle in he same position as the standard E3D v6 mod. As the endstops are triggered by the Carriage Triggers, the carriage position as not changed therefore no adjustments needed.

2, in Repetier 0.92, once installed you can disable filament sensor, I also disabled upper door sensor. Just my preference, I'm not certain this modification would be useful or work with stock firmware, having never tried it. I'm not sure why you would install this mod to run on the locked original FW. I think it defeats the point.

3, The cleaning part, works perfectly and still hits the nozzle in the same place as the original Hotend nozzle. The only adjustment I can envisage it the Heated Bed size as the nozzle sits slightly closer to the bed in the X-Y home position

Hope these help

scobo wrote:

1 - After I fitted my E3D I lowered the bed with the screws to allow for the lower position of the hotend.
2 - After flashing repetier, the filament sensor is rendered useless as repetier doesn't use it. That's one of the reasons I ditched the pcb.
3 - I didn't find I had to make any adjustment to the cleaning piece although I no longer use that either.

Response

1, The Titan and E3D v6 is slightly shorter than the standard E3D v6 mod, this was why I lowered it. I'm sure it would have worked without any further adjustment. I just never tried.

2, ditching the PcB is a personal choice, I went with the Daughterboard movement as it saved splicing wires. Also I can return it to stock, should I wish too sell..... I'm not certain all would want a modded printer, especially if new too printing.. again my personal opinion. It also was much simpler bu just needing to run one pair of wires for the 12v feed

3, the cleaning part works well, if you decide to do a standard fit ( as in E3D v6 only) you can raise the cleaning strike by placing thin shims under the waste tray

Hope these helps

68 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-20 09:01:05)

scobo wrote:

My only concern with this mod is removing the stock gear from the stepper but you reckon the stepper pretty much fell off when you heated the gear enough ?
It's unlikely you'd ever need to but I take it you could replace the stock gear the same way, by heating it then putting it back on the shaft and it should tighten up when it cools ?

Removing the stock gear could not have been simpler. I used a butane torch, got the gear red Hot while Holding the gear in a set of pliers. Lifted the the Gear up and the steeper motor stayed on the workbench, the gear fell off. Similarly replacing it. In the reverse. As meerkat's would say SIMPLES!

Hope these help

Cheers Stuart.
I see your point about the pcb, hadn't thought of that.
You're right about the filament sensor, my mistake. It's a while since I flashed it, I must have disabled it straight away.

FYI, I made this with my printer, I know it's off topic, just thought it may inspire, no Pun intended. Lol
http://soliforum.com/i/?WotaYd8.jpg

Enjoy

So how is it printing?

72 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-17 15:28:15)

Telemachus wrote:

So how is it printing?

Thats keen, lol.

I finally got out of bed about ten minutes ago. Yesterday really took it out of me.
So for the setup.
I reflashed my Printer 1.0 with a fresh copy of Repetier 0.92, linked too earlier in this thread. Once restarted I followed the instructions about Load-Failsafe - OK - YES -home.

Then instructed it to turn the Light on and also Turned off Filament Sensor

OK - Settings - Light on - Fil Sensor off

Next dont forget too Heat Soak the E3D v6. i took mine too 300' left it for five minutes then tweeked it up. very small movement.

Measuring the Bed size, The original E3D v6 Mod had these settings
X-Max             237mm
Y-Max             217mm
Z-Max             202mm

X-Home Pos   -33.000mm
Y-Home Pos   -12.000mm

With the mod done as described above the new position as only changed very slightly
X-Max            233mm (so 4mm closer to the bed)
Y-Max            215mm (so 2mm forward)
Z-Max            202mm (no change)

X-Home Pos   -29.000mm
Y-Home Pos   -10.000mm

I think you will see not a great change. I now have to calibrate the Titan Extruder

Regards

73 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-17 20:30:39)

OK

I have just calibrated the Titan and updated the Config.h File, I have to change the bed size so it prints in the centre of the Hotbed. Also set the home positions, This as now been done and the Config.h file as been tested.

The original Ext- e.steps were 99.00. after much checking and rechecking this needs to be 425.00 this extrudes exactly 100mm when asked for 100mm..... of 1.75mm filament

I have given the filament tensioner 2.5 turns positive tension and this gives a good result. During the initial callibration. I must say I am extremely impressed. It extruders so very smoothly once the tension was set correctly.

I will now try a print and post a picture of the outcome.....

Standby

Post's attachments

Configuration.h 70.95 kb, 14 downloads since 2016-04-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Drum roll .........  big_smile

75 (edited by ssauntson 2016-04-17 23:36:38)

scobo wrote:

Drum roll .........  big_smile

I see you have the same impatiences as I do. I have just done a quick test video. This thing is so damn Fast......
It is blistering. I have only adjust the e-steps for the extruder and left everything else standard.

Ive never seen the Da Vinci move so fast.

Black PLA. No filament Fan. Settings 0.2mm  40% infill. As for speed you judge in the video. This as had no post production or speed changes

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/ZXDIiFFuRbI

Finally
This is the resulting part. It is by no means perfect. I dont even think I cleaned the hotbed.
I think the first few layers could do with being slower. The extrusion looks about right and there is no stringing on the edges

http://soliforum.com/i/?hxaRjCS.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?7LuP3Ai.jpg

I now think unless you guys have any suggestions. My work is done...... I will update further once I have tried Other filaments, eg. NinjaFlex, Polycarbonate, Nylon etc.

ENJOY!