Re: Taurino Power + RAMPS 1.4 Bundle install

I amm going to say that power supply is your issue. The RAMPS supplies more current to your bed than your original board.

You already asked about the power connections and how they are marked. I believe those where 11a and 7a. Those are the current required for those connections. For a RAMPS you need a power supply that has a minimum of 30 amps output. You are running 24 volts so 15 amps would work.

According to the label on your supply it does 7 amps. That is half of what you need and that is being divided by the two circuits so each is only getting 3 amps right now.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Have you used a meter to verify your voltage as it comes out of the PSU?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

^ HA!
I agree with Carl, this is a power issue.  Can I ask what problems you were having with your Printerboard that made you replace it?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

carl_m1968 wrote:

I amm going to say that power supply is your issue. The RAMPS supplies more current to your bed than your original board.

You already asked about the power connections and how they are marked. I believe those where 11a and 7a. Those are the current required for those connections. For a RAMPS you need a power supply that has a minimum of 30 amps output. You are running 24 volts so 15 amps would work.

According to the label on your supply it does 7 amps. That is half of what you need and that is being divided by the two circuits so each is only getting 3 amps right now.

I agree as I'm always in favor of more power big_smile...

But I always thought the current supplied is only commeasurate with what needs to be drawn...(you can hook up a cooling fan directly to a 30A power supply, for example, and it will draw only what it needs), so if the sum total of the Press components drew less than 7A at 24V originally, why would the situation be any different with a 24V RAMPS board which is simply a controller and (I thought) not be consuming that much current itself?

Electrical / Electronics is not my greatest strength, so please educate me further!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

wardjr wrote:

Can I ask what problems you were having with your Printerboard that made you replace it?

I believe my old board went bad, and couldnt get find another. It started out with bad reading of bed temperature, then it quit all together. Probably better explained in my other post.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/13030/pr … connected/

I've heard of people using PC power supplys. I have several of those. Is this possible, and if so, what am I looking for?

IronMan wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I agree as I'm always in favor of more power big_smile...

But I always thought the current supplied is only commeasurate with what needs to be drawn...(you can hook up a cooling fan directly to a 30A power supply, for example, and it will draw only what it needs), so if the sum total of the Press components drew less than 7A at 24V originally, why would the situation be any different with a 24V RAMPS board which is simply a controller and (I thought) not be consuming that much current itself?

Electrical / Electronics is not my greatest strength, so please educate me further!

EDIT:  hopper, I just read your earlier topic...you replaced the stock heat bed with an MK2!  That alone would likely exceed the 7A...Definately do the PSU upgrade to 15A!

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

Most PC Supplies will be 12v and you need 24volt.
Until you put a meter on we won't know if this is even an issue.
When it comes to PSU issues it usually comes down to a lack of current (Amperage) or the volume that can flow to a given circuit.  Any electronic circuit will only draw what it needs.  In this situation if the bed heater is off that PSU is rated with enough power.  But with the new bed heater you will need a bigger PSU.  All that being said and seeing you've replaced the bed heater (and correct me if I am wrong) that heater can be wired either 12 or 24 volts?  Then why mess around with 24 volts at all?

Point of clarification, The motors won't move even with the bed heater off?

wardjr wrote:

All that being said and seeing you've replaced the bed heater (and correct me if I am wrong) that heater can be wired either 12 or 24 volts?  Then why mess around with 24 volts at all?

I know nothing. I didn't know I had a choice. I thought a press was 24V, so thats why I tried to use the press power supply. Does it matter if I went with 12V?

wardjr wrote:

Point of clarification, The motors won't move even with the bed heater off?

Correct.

Let's not forget that the motors seemed to be moving just fine doing their little pre-flash dance!

http://www.soliforum.com/post/111645/#p111645

IronMan wrote:

Let's not forget that the motors seemed to be moving just fine doing their little pre-flash dance!

http://www.soliforum.com/post/111645/#p111645

Thats true, I forgot about that.

@IronMan are you suggesting that something is incorrect in the firmware?

wardjr wrote:

@IronMan are you suggesting that something is incorrect in the firmware?

That's where I'd look!

what version is being used in this case?

wardjr wrote:

what version is being used in this case?

Not sure. How do I find out?

where did you download your firmware from, link?

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin

93 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-12-17 18:56:50)

wardjr wrote:

Most PC Supplies will be 12v and you need 24volt.
Until you put a meter on we won't know if this is even an issue.
When it comes to PSU issues it usually comes down to a lack of current (Amperage) or the volume that can flow to a given circuit.  Any electronic circuit will only draw what it needs.  In this situation if the bed heater is off that PSU is rated with enough power.  But with the new bed heater you will need a bigger PSU.  All that being said and seeing you've replaced the bed heater (and correct me if I am wrong) that heater can be wired either 12 or 24 volts?  Then why mess around with 24 volts at all?

His heater cartridge is still 24 volts. So he still needs a 24 volt supply unless he swaps it out.I still suspect the power supply and the only reason the motors worked with no firmware was due to uncontrolled power routing through the RAMPS.

I am still leaning on the power supply and until that is ruled out I am not going to help much more on this as I don't like following ghost.

I for one am not a fan of PC supplies as most only do half of their current rating unless you buy one of the top brands that are over 100 bucks. The little sealed supplies like the one he has no have failure written all over them. Went through three on one laptop. Nope I am a firm believer that all printers should require and/or come with the common brick type power supply.

I would really like to see one of these here as it will rule out power. Plus as you all said you can never have too much and I am pretty sure that bed alone does 12 amps  under initial heating load. At 24 volts that would still be 6 amps. Not leaving much for the rest of the print considering the hot end will do another another 3 amps when it is heating.

My question is right now when you try to move the motors do you have any heaters on?

If you want to confirm if it is a power problem you can do that easy right now.. Simply disconnect the bed and the hot end. Then remove all the stepper drivers except one axis such a X or Y.

Now power up the board, connect to it in your host, and try to send a move command to that axis that still has the driver.. If that motor runs then you know you have a power issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Transfo … wer+supply

It doesnt work with the bed off either. I will try your othert suggestion.

I have it hooked up like this now. nothing happens. not even a buzz or click

http://soliforum.com/i/?b074J9d.jpg

hopper_child wrote:

I have it hooked up like this now. nothing happens. not even a buzz or click

http://soliforum.com/i/?b074J9d.jpg

That leads me to believe that you have a firmware issue then.  Aside from setting the board type have you made any other changes in it?

Did the Repetier firmware do anything?

No, I've done nothing but changed thermistor for the bed type, but it didnt work before i did that. I wasn't smart enought to figure out the Repetier firmware

I'm just digging into that version and if you made no changes other than the temps then we have found the problem.
I will get back to you with the needed changes.

In the meantime you could flash this version and set to SD3 and enable auto leveling.  Should be set up other than temps to work on the press. https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta
Be sure to read through the page some down in the ramps section.

wardjr wrote:

In the meantime you could flash this version and set to SD3 and enable auto leveling.  Should be set up other than temps to work on the press. https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta
Be sure to read through the page some down in the ramps section.

And be sure to change the Motherboard option in configuration.h to 33...