Topic: Taurino Power + RAMPS 1.4 Bundle install

I received my Taurino Power + RAMPS 1.4 today. I think I need help. I guess I was hoping for some kind of instructions or at least a wiring diagram to be included but there was nothing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Re: Taurino Power + RAMPS 1.4 Bundle install

hopper_child wrote:

I received my Taurino Power + RAMPS 1.4 today. I think I need help. I guess I was hoping for some kind of instructions or at least a wiring diagram to be included but there was nothing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Just google RAMPS 1.4 wiring diagram. There are hundreds of images. The only difference is your board can use higher voltage power supplies.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by hopper_child 2015-12-14 22:18:36)

Ive done that. There area couple things confusing me. The plugs on the stepper drives (?) will plug in to each either way, meaning 180degrees. I dont want to short anything out. Also, there appears to be three different places for power. Four screw in terminals, 11a and 5a, and one that looks like something you would find on a laptop.

hopper_child wrote:

Ive done that. There area couple things confusing me. The plugs on the stepper drives (?) will plug in to each either way, meaning 180degrees. I dont want to short anything out. Also, there appears to be three different places for power. Four screw in terminals, 11a and 5a, and one that looks like something you would find on a laptop.

The power connector on the Taurino or the laptop connector is not used as that board gets power from the RAMPS. You would use that connector if powering the Taurino alone for another purpose and a different shield that may not supply power. As for the steppers it will not hurt if the connectors are reversed. Worse case the motor will run backwards and you would need to turn it around.

The only real way to hurt these boards is to not have steppers connected while powered and the drivers are populated then you may damage a driver. Or you use more than 30 volts.

For the power connection both connector are used, you just tie them together at the power supply. One is for the 11 amp line that the bed uses and one is for the 5 amp line that the motors and logic uses. That's why you see the label 5a and 11a. Just tie  + to + and - to - at the power supply from both.

Thanks a lot!

This is really starting to make me think. What is the difference in the taurine card and a regular ramp card? What does the taurine part actually do?

hopper_child wrote:

This is really starting to make me think. What is the difference in the taurine card and a regular ramp card? What does the taurine part actually do?

The RAMPS you have is just a common RAMPS like all Printers can use. The part that is special is the Taurino which is an open source clone of the commonly used Arduino.

The difference between the Taurino versus the Arduino is the on board 5 volt regulator used for internal power. The regulator on the Taurino has a much broader input range which is 12 to 30 volts. While the regulator on the Arduino has an input limited to 12 volts.

In short, it's what allows it to operate at 24 volts.  That's important because the Press is a 24volt printer.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

9 (edited by hopper_child 2015-12-15 14:21:48)

Ok, thanks. I apologize for having so many stupid questions, but here are some more. On the original Press board, the probe was plugged into the z-stop. I also have a stop at the bottom of the printer that keeps the table from going too low. On some diagrams it doesn't look like they consider the probe to be the z stop, they refer to it separately. the one at the bottom on the press board says e-stop. I'm confused on the placement of these two. Also, where do the wires from the power button go? What about firmware? Do I need to upload one? I thought I read somewhere that I did not. but I'm not certain now. Another thing is the endstops. Mine have three wires. Alot of the diagarms I see say two wires. Does this matter?

Here is a picture of the board.http://soliforum.com/i/?iLMMtY6.jpg

Here is a video of what happens at this point if I plug in the printer.

So that sequence happens when you just hit the power button and do nothing else?

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Rumba does something similar, until you add the firmware.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

IronMan wrote:

So that sequence happens when you just hit the power button and do nothing else?

Yes. Just plugging it in.

hopper_child wrote:

Ok, thanks. I apologize for having so many stupid questions, but here are some more. On the original Press board, the probe was plugged into the z-stop. I also have a stop at the bottom of the printer that keeps the table from going too low. On some diagrams it doesn't look like they consider the probe to be the z stop, they refer to it separately. the one at the bottom on the press board says e-stop. I'm confused on the placement of these two. Also, where do the wires from the power button go? What about firmware? Do I need to upload one? I thought I read somewhere that I did not. but I'm not certain now. Another thing is the endstops. Mine have three wires. Alot of the diagarms I see say two wires. Does this matter?

Here is a picture of the board.http://soliforum.com/i/?iLMMtY6.jpg

Here is a video of what happens at this point if I plug in the printer.

The Taurino as I said previously is nothing more than a high power Arduino. There is no other difference between it or an Arduino. That being said both are intended to be used for a wide range of applications even outside of 3dprinting.

Therefore there is no firmware loaded on it at this time. You will need to load firmware for YOUR printer on it.

As for the endstops if you have optical as in your case they will have three wires. One wire is power, one ground, and one is signal. The board will support both types you just need to make sure your wires are on the correct pins as I have seen a few endstops out there that swap power and signal.

As for the Z don't think of it a s probe. It is in fact used as an upper limit switch and your lower switch is used as a lower.

or in the case of the printer I believe the z probe would actually be Z min will the lower switch would be Z max.

carl_m1968 wrote:

As for the Z don't think of it a s probe. It is in fact used as an upper limit switch and your lower switch is used as a lower.

or in the case of the printer I believe the z probe would actually be Z min will the lower switch would be Z max.

I read about the upper and lower Z. My board does not say upper and lower, it just says xyz with an extra spot to plug into in between.

Is there a good tutorial on uploading a firmware, and I take it I need to find one for a press?

Thanks

http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

That link should give you most of the information you need. Forget about it being a Taurino and treat it as just the common RAMPS.1.4 which is exactly what the top board is.

The enstops have dix ports on the board there is an X+ X-, Y+ Y-, and Z+ Z- with + being max and - being min. All RAMPS are the same so no matter what picture or diagram you look at the pins will all be the same.

As for the firmware you will need Press firmware for a RAMPS. It does not matter sbout the Taurino. The only thing the Taurino means is you can use up tp 30 volts.

This is a sample of the code that is constantly being displayed

14:47:33.-829: echo:enqueing "G0 Z0 F3000"
14:47:33.-610: echo:enqueing "T0"
14:47:33.-610: echo:Active Extruder: 0
14:47:33.-610: echo:enqueing "G0 E10 F3000"
14:47:33.-350: echo:enqueing "T1"
14:47:33.-350: echo:Active Extruder: 1
14:47:33.-342: echo:enqueing "G0 E0 F3000"
14:47:33.-122: echo:enqueing "G90"
14:47:33.-122: echo:enqueing "G0 X10 F3000"
14:47:34.-893: echo:enqueing "G0 Y10 F3000"
14:47:34.-679: echo:enqueing "G0 Z2 F3000"
14:47:34.-458: echo:enqueing "T0"
14:47:34.-458: echo:Active Extruder: 0
14:47:34.-458: echo:enqueing "G0 E10 F3000"
14:47:34.-196: echo:enqueing "T1"
14:47:34.-196: echo:Active Extruder: 1
14:47:34.-196: echo:enqueing "G0 E20 F3000"
14:47:35.-974: echo:enqueing "G0 X0 F3000"
14:47:35.-742: echo:enqueing "G0 Y0 F3000"
14:47:35.-527: echo:enqueing "G0 Z0 F3000"
14:47:35.-309: echo:enqueing "T0"
14:47:35.-309: echo:Active Extruder: 0
14:47:35.-309: echo:enqueing "G0 E10 F3000"
14:47:35.-49: echo:enqueing "T1"
14:47:35.-49: echo:Active Extruder: 1
14:47:35.-41: echo:enqueing "G0 E0 F3000"
14:47:36.-821: echo:enqueing "G90"
14:47:36.-821: echo:enqueing "G0 X10 F3000"
14:47:36.-591: echo:enqueing "G0 Y10 F3000"
14:47:36.-377: echo:enqueing "G0 Z2 F3000"
14:47:36.-157: echo:enqueing "T0"
14:47:36.-157: echo:Active Extruder: 0
14:47:36.-157: echo:enqueing "G0 E10 F3000"
14:47:37.-893: echo:enqueing "T1"
14:47:37.-893: echo:Active Extruder: 1
14:47:37.-893: echo:enqueing "G0 E20 F3000"
14:47:37.-672: echo:enqueing "G0 X0 F3000"
14:47:37.-437: echo:enqueing "G0 Y0 F3000"
14:47:37.-226: echo:enqueing "G0 Z0 F3000"
14:47:37.-06: echo:enqueing "T0"
14:47:37.-06: echo:Active Extruder: 0
14:47:37.-06: echo:enqueing "G0 E10 F3000"

Have you loaded firmware? If not then all the machine is doing is running on maybe noise. There is no logic to tell it what to do right now and you could also damage the machine letting it run without logic. There should be no move commands being sent at power up which is what the G0 commands are.

So the first thing you need to do is flash the machine with either Repetier or Marlin firmware for the Press. The work on getting things dialed in.

I thought I did, maybe I didnt do it right. I'll try to research a little better

19 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-12-15 22:55:21)

hopper_child wrote:

I thought I did, maybe I didnt do it right. I'll try to research a little better

Since you are using a RAMPS the HEX file that Solidoodle supplies will not work as that is not for a RAMPS.

What you need is the stock version of Repetier or Marlin and then you will need to configure it for your printer.. There is not a drop in version of firmware for your now existing hardware configuration.

Repetier has a configurator online that will set the firmware up before download if you know the values needed for the questions. Marlin has default settings that will work to some extent but either version will need tweaking and changing to work right.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Since you are using a RAMPS the HEX file that Solidoodle supplies will not work as that is not for a RAMPS.

What you need is the stock version of Repetier or Marlin and then you will need to configure it for your printer.. There is not a drop in version of firmware for your now existing hardware configuration.

Repetier has a configurator online that will set the firmware up before download if you know the values needed for the questions. Marlin has default settings that will work to some extent but either version will need tweaking and changing to work right.

Thanks. That is what I  did, downloaded one from solidoodle. I'll see what I can find.

hopper_child wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Thanks. That is what I  did, downloaded one from solidoodle. I'll see what I can find.

Here is a link to Repetier Firmware and their Configurator.

http://www.repetier.com/firmware/v091/index.html

Here is a link to Marlin. They do not have a configurator.

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin

I did the Repetier Firmware and their Configurator. I didn't understand 99% of the questions, but I tried anyway. Any idea how I can find out these values I need to know? I downloaded it and went through there steps from the readme. During the upload, I get the following errors:

Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch\Configuration.h:42:0,

from sketch\Repetier.h:117,

from sketch\Commands.cpp:22:

sketch\pins.h:294:0: warning: "MOTHERBOARD" redefined [enabled by default]

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

In file included from sketch\Repetier.h:117:0,

sketch\Configuration.h:40:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

sketch\pins.h:2200:0: warning: "E1_PINS" redefined [enabled by default]

#define E1_PINS

^

sketch\pins.h:362:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define E1_PINS ORIG_E1_STEP_PIN,ORIG_E1_DIR_PIN,ORIG_E1_ENABLE_PIN,

^

sketch\Configuration.h:300:0: warning: "SDCARDDETECT" redefined [enabled by default]

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

sketch\pins.h:349:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define SDCARDDETECT      49

^

In file included from sketch\ui.h:192:0,

from sketch\Repetier.h:271,

sketch\uilang.h:1096:34: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

#define UI_TEXT_EXTR0_SELECT     "%X0 V"STR_auml"lj Extr. 1"

^

sketch\uilang.h:1097:34: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

#define UI_TEXT_EXTR1_SELECT     "%X1 V"STR_auml"lj Extr. 2"

^

sketch\uilang.h:1098:34: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

#define UI_TEXT_EXTR3_SELECT     "%X2 V"STR_auml"lj Extr. 3"

^

from sketch\Communication.cpp:22:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

sketch\Configuration.h:40:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

sketch\Configuration.h:300:0: warning: "SDCARDDETECT" redefined [enabled by default]

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

sketch\uilang.h:1096:34: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

^

sketch\uilang.h:1097:34: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

^

sketch\uilang.h:1098:34: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

^

from sketch\Eeprom.cpp:24:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

from sketch\Extruder.cpp:22:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

from sketch\HAL.cpp:1:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

from sketch\Printer.cpp:19:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

from C:\Users\brian\Documents\Repetier-Firmware\Repetier\Repetier.ino:127:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

from sketch\SDCard.cpp:22:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

from sketch\SdFat.cpp:20:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

from sketch\gcode.cpp:24:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

from sketch\motion.cpp:24:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

from sketch\ui.cpp:20:

#define MOTHERBOARD 3

^

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

^

#define E1_PINS

^

^

#define SDCARDDETECT -1

^

^

^

^

^

Sketch uses 60,860 bytes (23%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 2,860 bytes (34%) of dynamic memory, leaving 5,332 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": Access is denied.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

I also tried the Marlin, which is what my press originally had on it i guess. I didnt change anything and only got this message saying it can't open my com port I think.

Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 50,828 bytes (20%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 2,849 bytes (34%) of dynamic memory, leaving 5,343 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": Access is denied.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

When you plug in the board to your PC via USB does it register as a device?

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

yes, it says its on com 4