1 (edited by hopper_child 2015-12-04 19:35:12)

Topic: Press thinks Bed is 350 deg C whenever connected

My factory bed went out, so i replaced it with the MK2B bed. I've tried Repetier-Host, Repetier-Server, and Soliprint. Whenever connected the printer says the bed is already 350deg C...I really can't tell if the bed is going to work or not. I presume its won't heat up because it already thinks its too hot. I've tried disconnecting the thermistor and the bed with no change. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Re: Press thinks Bed is 350 deg C whenever connected

If the new bed has a different thermistor from the old bed, then you need to change the firmware to reflect that.

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

3 (edited by hopper_child 2015-12-04 19:42:53)

Right now, It has the same thermistor. This is without the bed even on. There are people that know little about configuring 3d printers. I am about 10 feet below them. I have read every firmware update explanation I can find. They are all over my head. Is there a "Press firware update for dummies" book anywhere?

Most likely not a firmware issue.  If I understand correctly you are using your previously existing thermistor?  Sounds like it isn't connected properly so you want to check those connections first.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Yes, I am using the factory thermistor. The bed came with a new one, but was torn apart. I presumed the original would still work. Ive checked all my connections many times. cant seem to make a difference

The wires as they go into the plugs look good?
Do you have a DMM (digital multi meter)

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Yes, they look good. Yes, I have a meter. I touched the ends of both wires coming from the thermistor and the meter changed.

With the thermistor disconnected from the motherboard connections, and at 25 degrees C (roughly room temp) your DMM should read 100KOhms when the meter is set for Resistance...

If resistance is significantly lower than that it would indicate a short...higher than that it would be an open circuit (disconnect).

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

9 (edited by hopper_child 2015-12-04 22:15:16)

Ok, I will check when I get home. Am I checking the wires going to the thermistor, or the board?

Both you want to check the resistance of the thermistor itself but unplug it from the board and check there first.  Then if that reading is bad you check right at the thermistor itself.  This will tell you if it's a wire issue or a thermistor issue.

^what he said.

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

I tested it at the end of the wires that plug into the board. i got 130.8...118 at the thermistor, so I presume somethings bad. Because I want to learn, im confused on how thats effecting the 350 deg reading when if I plug in the usb for the printer with the thermistor disconnected it still reads 350. just curious.

here is a pic just to make sure I was doing this right.
http://soliforum.com/i/?0TWYjfk.jpg

What's your room temp; about 64-66 deg F?

Yes, around that temperature.

Then it seems that the thermistor and wiring is OK...check the board to see if you can find any evidence of a short.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Nothing appears to be burnt anywhere.

I had a similar problem earlier this year. The factory bed on my Press was badly warped, making it impossible to print anything more than a couple of inches across. I modified the bed so that I could print on a much thicker piece of glass and while putting things back together again, found that the bed temperature was being reported as about 350 even though it was still cold to the touch. Worse, the firmware wouldn't let me start a print - a safety measure I assume.
To check the thermistor, I connected the hot end themistor to the bed thermister connector on the control board and the bed thermistor to the hot end thermistor connector. Since the bed temperature was still indicated as being 350, this pointed to the problem being on the board, although there was no sign of burning or overheating. Solidoole confirmed that the problem was with the board, suggested that I replace the board, then told me they were out of stock on boards but would have them soon. That was many month ago and you may not be surprised that I haven't heard from them since them.

I suspect someone with good knowledge of the board could help you test and repair it, but what I did was to recompile the firmware after editing the configuration file to indicate that there was no bed heater on the printer. Getting the firmware reflashed was a real ordeal. I tried lots of different ways and finally what worked was the procedure Solidoodle posted on their site. The instructions were not perfectly clear, but whatever I did finally worked, although I doubt if I could do it again. I also discovered that you have to be careful to use the firmware that was in use when my Press was manufactured. I have one of the early Press printers. Modifying the updated firmware, which is the only one Solidoodle had on their site at the time, screwed up the leveling procedure making it impossible to print, so I went through the whole thing again with the original firmware which was an additional pain to find.

I then bought a 24 volt temperature controller and a 24 volt power supply. Since my factory bed heater is still OK, I can use it, but have to control the bed temperature independently of the printer - not a big deal.

If I had been thinking ahead I would have written down all the steps in detail, but didn't.  Sorry I can't give you all the steps I went though, but this may help give somewhat of an overview of the situation.

Thanks for your input. I have been looking at boards online, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. Is there another board that I can use on my press that isn't too expensive?

There is another currently active thread on the Ramps 1.4 board which might help you in finding another board. With my factory board, the only thing that failed was the circuit for measuring bed temperature. Everything else still functioned after recompiling the firmware and reflashing the board. However, if I were doing it over again, I'd probably opt for a new non Solidoodle board instead.

Thanks. I noticed the extruder doesn't heat either. I noticed if I ground them manually they will heat up. I dunno. Thanks.

Where is a good place to get a Ramps 1.4 board? I've been searching, but I'm not certain if everything I'm finding are actually complete boards.

With my Press, the extruder wouldn't work either, but I think that was because of safety features in the firmware. As soon as I modified the firmware to no heated bed, everything worked again OK. So it is possible that the only thing wrong with your board is the bed temperature thermistor input.

Interesting. What did you get to control the bed?

The controller was a 24v led digital temperature controller sold by iOkeler on Amazon, but he doesn't appear to have any at the moment. The power supply was a Singpad 240 watt 24v power supply, also on Amazon. However, I would not order anything until I had FIRST edited the configuration file for the correct firmware for your Press, compiled it, and reflashed the Press. If all goes well, the computer will work OK and you can use it as is for any filiment that doesn't need a heated bed. I used Polymax PLA on my Press and it worked quite well with an unheated bed and no added cooling fan.

But it may be that whatever screwed up the bed temperature measurement on your board screwed up other things as well, in which case you probably have to go with a Ramps or other board. I just don't want you to waste money ordering hardware until you're sure the only thing wrong with the factory board in the bed temperature input and everything else works fine.

I've noticed the board gets ridiculous hot in this area.

http://soliforum.com/i/?ZTB8yXc.jpg