Re: SD Press - Mark II (Modifications Breakdown)

awesome dude, sounds like you have some nifty stuff at your disposal!  next on my list is possibly a diy laser cutter/engraver, but it seems all ive read its difficult to engrave/etch aluminum, which is what id mainly want it for.

102 (edited by daphur 2015-05-03 13:47:18)

MacGyverX wrote:

If you want to get better adhesion, Go with PEI.

Does PEI require any prep like glue or tape for prints?

Also would this http://www.amazon.com/RepRap-Heatbed-Al … BYMJN22PJ4 work minus the aluminum plate?

daphur wrote:
MacGyverX wrote:

If you want to get better adhesion, Go with PEI.

Does PEI require any prep like glue or tape for prints?

No, that's why its awesome.

Also would this http://www.amazon.com/RepRap-Heatbed-Al … BYMJN22PJ4 work minus the aluminum plate?

The aluminum plate helps keep the pcb flat.

Just ordered an E3D-Lite and an MK2B.... looking to finally upgrade this thing! smile

Did you ever release an updated Bowden Mount with a filament-cooling fan mount? I noticed in the other thread that you were working on one.  (I really do appreciate all your help with the stock hot-end cooler... I just couldn't handle the jams any more... )

I'm very interested in the Z-carriage upgrade... especially if it can get rid of the backlash.

Dream-Cypher

105 (edited by daphur 2015-05-11 01:16:09)

Dream-Cypher wrote:

Just ordered an E3D-Lite and an MK2B.... looking to finally upgrade this thing! smile

Dream-Cypher

Where did you order your heatbed? Couple of places I'm visiting are sold out... Was looking into a MK3, but not sure if I can go that route and haven't found anyone whose upgraded this on the Press.

daphur wrote:

Where did you order your heatbed? Couple of places I'm visiting are sold out... Was looking into a MK3, but not sure if I can go that route and haven't found anyone whose upgraded this on the Press.

I got it in eBay for $10 from "easy reprap". It says has "small cosmetic flaws", but for $10 i figured it was worth a shot.  He has more: http://m.ebay.com/itm/221733669442?_mwBanner=1. Also has some for $15 without cosmetic flaws. I don't think it comes with a thermistor though, which I didn't realize until now. I'll have to see if I have one lying around that I can use, or may need to order one elsewhere.

107 (edited by Dream-Cypher 2015-05-11 14:40:28)

Dream-Cypher wrote:

I don't think it comes with a thermistor though, which I didn't realize until now. I'll have to see if I have one lying around that I can use, or may need to order one elsewhere.

Actually, I see it does come with the thermistor also...  I believe this is the same board that MacGyverX got from amazon (Same seller name, at least.)

Dream-Cypher wrote:

Actually, I see it does come with the thermistor also...  I believe this is the same board that MacGyverX got from ebay (Same seller name, at least.)

I believe his thermistor burned off or crumbled

daphur wrote:

I believe his thermistor burned off or crumbled

Heh.  Well, that would be just my luck. tongue

That thermistor was the one that came with the E3D v6. The one supplied with the Mk2b is still working fine today.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

I highly recommend the aluminum MK3 board. I got mine from seller Sintron on Amazon. It is dead flat even after adhering my curvy sheet of PEI. You can also feed it 24v when wired for 12v operation. My bed heats to 90C in 1:30 and 105C in 2:10 when measured at the top of the PEI with an IR thermometer. Keep in mind this setup draws about 17 amps at 24v. This should not be attempted with the solidoodle power supply or fets. I am running 2 Dell 600 watt server power supplies in series to provide over 50 amps at 24 volts. I have this running through a 40 amp solid state relay.

chenderson wrote:

I highly recommend the aluminum MK3 board. I got mine from seller Sintron on Amazon. It is dead flat even after adhering my curvy sheet of PEI. You can also feed it 24v when wired for 12v operation. My bed heats to 90C in 1:30 and 105C in 2:10 when measured at the top of the PEI with an IR thermometer. Keep in mind this setup draws about 17 amps at 24v. This should not be attempted with the solidoodle power supply or fets. I am running 2 Dell 600 watt server power supplies in series to provide over 50 amps at 24 volts. I have this running through a 40 amp solid state relay.

Will it run fine with 12v?

Yes, it will run just fine just with 12v, just 1/4 the wattage. You will need a separate 12v supply and solid state relay since the press supplies 24v to the bed.

chenderson wrote:

Yes, it will run just fine just with 12v, just 1/4 the wattage. You will need a separate 12v supply and solid state relay since the press supplies 24v to the bed.

Any you recommend?

MacGyverX wrote:

I did it by changing the AUTO_BED_LEVELING_GRID_POINTS value in configuration.h in the FW. Then complied then flashed.

This was from a while ago but I just got around to it. I've seen a lot of conflicting info on updating press firmware. Is the .zip solidoodle provides the same as what is shipped on the machines? also do you need to put it into the bootloader to flash as explained on solidoodles website or can you just upload from arduino software.

Thanks!

For solid state relay I use a Crydom D1D40 rated for 40 amps. They can be found on ebay for $30-40. There are a lot of knock offs floating around as well. I cannot speak to their quality. Server power supplies are plentiful and cheap on ebay and make great high current supplies if you don't mind doing a little soldering.

I just swapped out my Mk2b for the Mk3. (The Mk2b will get cycled into a modded SD2) And it was a clean swap. 3rd party PSU (which I already had because the stock PSU died a couple months ago) but no SSR. It does not seem to be pulling any more power than the Mk2b. And it heats up at the same rate.

But i'll admit the aluminum backing makes mounting easier.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

You need to solder the wires on the mk3 like your were going to feed it 12 volts then connect it to a 24v supply. An ohm meter should read 1.4-1.8 ohms instead of 7.2 ohms. The vendor claims it is not an issue since the copper is bonded almost directly to the aluminum so no chance of burning it up.

? Why? It supports both 12 & 24V. The Press is 24V. So I wired it up exactly how I had the Mk2b. Works fine.

Running it on 24v when wired for 24v is just fine. You will get results comparable 100% to mk2b. If you want it to heat up 4x as fast you can wire it as suggested, assuming you have the amperage and SSR available.

MacGyverX, Did you ever determine the pinouts for the additional connectors on the Press Motherboard?  I know you were making some breakout boards for various things.

I made a mess of replacing the FET for the PWM connector, and was hoping to get access to a replacement pin through one of the other connectors to add an external FET for a filament cooler.  I could probably still get the signal from pin16, but was thinking that using another connector might be easier... especially if that connector also offers 12v and ground.

On a related note.  Did you determine a good way to attach a blower or fan to your E3d bowden mount?

Lastly, what mounting method did you use when you replaced the stock heat bed with the MK2B?  Did the mounting holes line up, or did you need to use another method?

Thanks,
Dream-Cypher

122 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-05-31 13:11:21)

I gave up on the stock board. I was having great difficulties assigning functions to the extra pins.

As for the fan, I am still using the 15x40 blower on the right side. I do have a new mount that looks similar to the cyclops mount with the cooler built-in. The printer is tied up right now, but as soon as I can print it and check the fit i'll post the STLs.

For the heatbed I use the screw holes underneath the bed and placed some M3's vertically from the bottom to pinch the bed (with shims) upwards.

MacGyverX wrote:

For the heatbed I use the screw holes underneath the bed and placed some M3's vertically from the bottom to pinch the bed (which shims) upwards.

Hi MacGyver
Any chance of a quick picture or rough diagram showing this, I have a MK2b on the way and don't quite follow what you mean.  What did you pinch against, m3 screw up from underneath but what on the top to pinch against?

Many Thanks

Instead of the screws going downwards (stock), they were going upwards. (As in threaded in from the bottom...)

MacGyverX wrote:

Instead of the screws going downwards (stock), they were going upwards. (As in threaded in from the bottom...)

Are okay, thought there was more to it than that

Thanks