Re: SD Press - Mark II (Modifications Breakdown)

will do, thanks as always.

so. i ran what you said.  it spit out

Kp:432.61
Ki:51.78
Kd:903.66

so i then sent
M304 P432.61 I51.78 D903.66 to the printer
Recieved:ok

then sent M500

Recieved:Echo:SettingsStored
Settings Stored

so i assume it all worked out properly.  im warming the bed now up to 100c to see how long it takes.  I remember reading somewhere you posted how long yours took, what was that time?

From 24.7C to 105C 4mins 38sec (+/- a second. I did unscientifically and use my phone as a timer.)

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

well, mine is only going from 47c to 70c in that time period.  i assume im doing the PID process properly by just sending the GCode manually via Simplify2ds interface, but maybe ill try it with RH just because.

I don't think it has anything to do with the software. I think in your case it has to do with thermal mass. In my setup I have the Mk2b stuck directly to a sheet of PEI with a sheet of 3M 486P in the middle. And the thermistor is in the hole in the Mk2b touching the PEI.

In your case you have the Mk2b attached to a sheet of aluminum which is then attached to a sheet of PEI.

At the end of the day. As long as it heats faster then stock your good. The other main advantage over the stock heatbed is that the entire surface is the heater and that it's truly in contact with the print surface. I found a couple air pockets in one of the corners of the silicon pad and doing the same temp cycle listed above took up to 20mins. (When i first got it it did it in 17min but over time it started to take longer. I am assuming that the pad started to separate from the aluminum.)

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

youre probably right, just was looking for the same results as you had, hah.

my setup is 7 gauge aluminum on bottom, tape, mk2 pcb, tape, PEI. 

i may do away with the lower aluminum section if the bed doesnt move well on the z axis, it adds weight as well as thermal mass.  but its also the only thing that made the mk2 pcb flat enough for me to want to actually want to use it.

Oh wait, Which direction did you install the Mk2b? Traces up or down? I did traces up.

mine is LED facing up.

ill tell you right now, as im heating this thing of for its first test print with the new carriage, bed setup.  that the aluminum plate underneath is HOT HOT HOT to the touch.  and the PEI on top is HOT, but i can touch it for a second or two.  the aluminum i cant.

Ah. FYI LED up means the traces are on the bottom (the element per say). LED down the traces are up.

So in your case the 'elements' are facing down. Hence why your aluminum plate is hotter than the PEI. I did what I did because of what the reprap page said about the mk2b. It states that the orientation does not matter. But does state that you get better performance with the traces facing up (So LEDs down).

Sorry about that. I should have clarified that in the main post.

ah ha.  well now.  i did led up only because it was easier for me to dremel out some of the PEI to get the sheet to sit flat (made a spot for the LED) 

ill see how this goes, if i dont like it i guess ill have to order some more 468mp tape, peel this apart and flip it on over.

If you decide to flip it send me a PM, I'll send you a sheet of 3M 468P.

89 (edited by jonzerb 2015-04-21 01:45:19)

any help here is appreciated.  again, im just trying to get a useable e3d mount that i can use on this thing, then i can mess with print quality after that and get it sorted.  heres a video of my issue, the nozzle seems to be pushing down the print on the bed.

the strange thing is, once i get about say 15-20 layers into the print.  this issue seems to dissapear. 

also, it happens regardless if i print a raft on the piece of not. 

Extrusion Width .45mm
Primary Layer Height .25mm
Extrusion multiplier 1.00

not sure if this is a z backlash issue, or perhaps my PTFE lined bushing experiment isnt panning out in the end but...

non scientifically affixing a dial indicator to measure the bed movement.  i can jog it in increments of 0.1/-0.1 , well....when changing direction it takes three clicks of the 0.1 or -0.1 button just to get the bed to start to move again.  i assume this is quite an issue seeing as how the bed is constantly moving up and down while printing to take into account the unevenness of the bed. 

how are those nifty Z carriages coming along MacGyverX?  ;-)

91 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-04-21 16:41:47)

Still working on it. Ver. 2 is getting cut out right now.

As a side note, I was getting ready to print out a small part to act as a registration for something I was going to mill out later today, And the Press was showing these weird temp. spikes. When I took a look the hotend and the surrounding wires to check to see if something was not where it should be, I saw light charing around the fiberglass sleeves for the thermistor. When I touched it the end of the thermistor fell out and landed on the headbed.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ2819D251.jpg

When I touched/rub the fiberglass sleeve it was disintegrating into a fine dust where the screw and the washer made contact with it.

I followed the supplied instructions. I guess I need to find a better way to do it with the replacement.

I saw in your renderings that you had something worked out for the ball screw mount for the carriage as well. What's that going to be?

Also, wouldn't mind if you were willing to PM me some dimensions from what you're making so I can cut one out myself ☺

are all SCS8UU's created equally?  i just ordered these below to start with the Z carriage build. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJ6 … &psc=1

i was going to layout what i need to cut using these dimensions here for the bearing block.

http://wiki.makeblock.cc/images/1/12/Sl … SCS8UU.jpg

Is there any difference between the black and red mk2b's?

i recomend not to change the heatbed
i just brought a buildtak sheet to the glass
been using it for months now and its awesome sticky
never need for tape blue or spray

There are no differences between the black and red mk2b. Both are 12/24V. At the time I got mine. For some reason the red PCB was on sale. I'd prefered the black one. But at the time it was a experiment so I went cheap.

What does bed adhesion have to do with replacing the heatbed? The idea of replacing it is to speed up heat up times.
Furthermore I've tried buildtak on my SD2 back in the day. It was not any better than Kapton tape. And it's pricey.
If you want to get better adhesion, Go with PEI.

jonzerb, Those look exactly like that I got. As for build quality- don't know yet. But I am sure it's better than plastic with grease sliding on a 8mm rod.

98 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-04-29 22:27:15)

As for the Z Rebuild, It's at a stand still for now. I was laid off a while ago and a buddy of mine who is a carpenter has been contracting me work cnc/laser cutting work. So My cnc (and the laser) which has been used for cutting quadcopter parts and machining has been making drawer fronts, table tops, custom signs and custom moldings 5~8hrs a day. As much as I want to do the fun stuff first, I have to pay bills to keep the lights on as such. Which in turn keeps the fam and the cnc/3d printers happy.

Anyway- I think I got the design down. Just need to get it from the screen to in my hands.

On a sidenote, My Press has been pretty happy. I think more so with the controller swap out and the E3D (Thanks again elmoret). But once I get a day or two off. I'll get back to all the mods and publishing all the stuff I've done.

The cncs you have are both modded shapeokos? What's the laser??? You've got all types of cool shit to play with at home!!

Yeah the original shapeoko v2 has been modded to 1000x1800mm with a DWP611, NEMA 23's, External drivers etc.. (Longoko) Then about a year ago I used the original rails to make a smaller (300x500mm) more rigid machine for metal work (Rigidoko) 600W AC spindle /w PWM control NEMA 23's (400oz) also has external drivers. Both have ER collets. The laser is DIY with a 2W laser. My wife mostly uses it for cutting light stuff and etching wood crafts.