Re: SD Press - Mark II (Modifications Breakdown)

Yeah I really dig PEI. The only regret I have is not getting a thicker sheet. But other then that. The stuff is beyond awesome.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

What bed temp do you run the PEI at to be effective?  I tried BuildTak at one point and for ABS it was HORRIBLE!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

28 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-10 18:57:21)

105C for ABS (It could probably do it at a lower temp. Never tested. Just tried 105 and it stuck)

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

MacGyverX wrote:

Yeah I really dig PEI. The only regret I have is not getting a thicker sheet. But other then that. The stuff is beyond awesome.

What thickness do you have? What thickness would you change to?

MacGyverX wrote:

PEI.

Get it. It's awesome. If you don't know what it is- Google it. Where to get it? Amazon or Google it. I used a sheet that was 0.06" thick. Then used 1.0mm spacers to bring it up with where it needed to be.

0.07 ~ 0.09

31 (edited by itscbj 2015-03-14 15:56:39)

Dream-Cypher wrote:

Thanks for the spool holder design... it rocks!

Hey there... can you share the STL file for the spool holder or send a link?

That is pretty sweet!

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
- Mark Twain... maybe.

itscbj wrote:
Dream-Cypher wrote:

Thanks for the spool holder design... it rocks!

Hey there... can you share the STL file for the spool holder or send a link?

That is pretty sweet!

You can get it here: https://github.com/ymilord/Solidoodle-P … rts/Bowden

Bartimaeus wrote:

You can get it here: https://github.com/ymilord/Solidoodle-P … rts/Bowden

Glorious! Thank you.

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
- Mark Twain... maybe.

One of the things I've noticed is the bed is drooping slightly. From front to rear is now a 3.188mm. When I first got the Press is was 2.101mm. The long term repair is replace the plastic mount that is attaching to the acme nut to the bed. It seems that the tapped screw holes on the side are deforming. In the short term, I've increased the Z Offset probe count from 9 to 16. With the higher density probing it seems to have completely corrected the odd lifting issues I was getting with prints in the upper area of any print. (And this is due to the fact that visually it looked that the bead of filament was contacting the bed, but over time it would slightly curl upwards. As great as PEI is, The filament has to be contacting the bed for it to work.)

On the bed rebuild, I plan on using a short piece of 2020 with the two acme nut's captured within it and a spring to act as a anti-backlash. As usual, Once completed I'll upload pictures and plans on how to do it.

on the bed leveling note.  its been a few weeks since ive taken my Press apart and just havent had time to do what i need to re assemble it.  but, my plan is to mill out the holes that are in the stock plastic bed mount and insert metal backed PTFE lined bushings into them so that hopefully helps with the bed dragging/vibrating/wiggling issue i was seeming to have. 

i contemplated going to a linear bearing, but there just isnt really a way i can see that as possible with the way they designed the bed plastic back there.  since its (seems) injection molded plastic (?) there is only solid plastic directly around the holes that are needed for the rods and acme screw, the rest is more or less a honeycomb of sorts. 

oh, i have a mk2 bed as you said you liked on the way too, which i would like to also somehow add an easier manual bed leveling option to the setup once i get it, hoping to get it all together by the weekend.

You'll love the MK2a. Super fast heat up times. And nice and even.

Looking forward to it! Hope the mk2b is Ok, because that's what I ordered.

Jonzerb, what are you planning for powering the new bed? A stock Press can't handle the 190W Mk2a/b. (vs. the 90W stock heater pad). My apologies if you and MacGyverX discussed this already.

190w? Not sure about that.

The stock PSU is 24V @ 7.5A which is 180W. Jonzerb and I are using the 25w heat cartridge on the v6. Minus an estimated 30w for the steppers. Which leaves -/+125W for the heatbead. With the stock PSU (a replacement), The hotend end gets from ambient (23.4C) to 250C in <3mins. And the heatbed covered with a sheet of PEI gets from ambient (22.9C) to 117C in just over 4 mins.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ330AF001.jpg

So, Yeah it can handle it.

MacGyverX wrote:

190w? Not sure about that.

Well, I grabbed 3-3.4ohms @ 24v from a random supplier's* MK2b web page. Is that atypical?  3 Ohms is 8A@24v. or 190W**.
I don't see how 190W fiits into a 125W budget, or how 8A fits in a 7.5A supply.

Also, cheap brick power supplies are spec'd somewhat optimistically, and tend to have short lives at the limit of their output, so you might want to downrate that 125W budget.

The stock heater is stamped 90W, so you're doubling+ current in the heat bed path with MK2. Could be SD built 100%+ margin into that path, but probably only if the cheapest parts dictated it. I haven't looked there, but I would be unsurprised if you needed to beef up the traces, add a heat sink the FET (or ugrade the FET), or ugrade the heat bed connector to be reliable.

I don't doubt you when you say it works for you, but I'm not sure how reliable it will be unless you've done due diligence on the engineering end.

*http://www.reprapdiscount.com/electroni … d-bed.html
**A little less, due to the voltage drop across the FET. But pretty close.
*** 3 ohms is probably the cold rush resistance, and will be higher as the bed warms.

The stock FET for the Heatbead/Hotend is a SK3876-01R. The Data sheet say's 900V 13A Continuous or 52A Pulse. Putting a meter in-line of the PSU with the heatbead only, The draw is 6.271A then it starts to stair step down as it gets to temp. With the hotend and the heatbed active. The total draw is 7.136A. Then it stair steps down to as both gets to temp. Now with it printing the Bowden part for the v6 is pretty much sits @ (-/+ 1~3 counts) 4.197A during the 15 mins I let it print.

If that kills the PSU. I'll get another one. It it does kill the FET. I'll replace it. Waiting 17~20mins for the bed to get the temp was the main drive to replace it. Will the Mk2b work on the Press. Yes it will.

MacGyverX wrote:

One of the things I've noticed is the bed is drooping slightly. From front to rear is now a 3.188mm. When I first got the Press is was 2.101mm. The long term repair is replace the plastic mount that is attaching to the acme nut to the bed. It seems that the tapped screw holes on the side are deforming. In the short term, I've increased the Z Offset probe count from 9 to 16. With the higher density probing it seems to have completely corrected the odd lifting issues I was getting with prints in the upper area of any print.

how do you change the number of probe points?

I did it by changing the AUTO_BED_LEVELING_GRID_POINTS value in configuration.h in the FW. Then complied then flashed.

MacGyverX wrote:

Putting a meter in-line of the PSU with the heatbead only, The draw is 6.271A then...

So if your FET is putting out 23.2v like mine, that's a cold resistance of 3.7 Ohms. Anyone following in your footsteps will hopefully get a bed more like yours than the strongest of reprapdiscount's beds (3 ohm).

MacGyverX wrote:

Waiting 17~20mins for the bed to get the temp was the main drive to replace it.

I don't blame you on that frustration. Mine tops out at abput 100C, depending on the room temp, so it takes a very long time to get printing. Seems strange that some people report getting 110C in 10-12 minutes, while others poke along.

Just of of curiosity, has anyone tried insulating the underside of the heat bed? (Definitely not as cool as amping up the bed, but it might help.)

BTW, thanks for measuring out what your printer is doing and sharing your hacks. It's all very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually expired Presses start showing up on your doorstep hoping for a new lease on life.

np. I am doing all this to help others going quickly. And also to give back to the forums for my SD2 days. Dark times indeed.

46 (edited by jonzerb 2015-04-02 02:23:40)

So my plan with the new bed was to stick some PEI to it and be done. But if the bed is 8x8 and that's the size of the print area, thus the size of the PEI. How are you screwing the bed the the carriage?

ok, MacGyverX, opinions needed on this new heat bed.

option 1.  is to drill and tap the stock metal carriage and mount the bed using 3 holes and using springs under the bed to level it out nicely. 

option 2.  is to drill and tap the stock metal carriage and mount the bed using 3 holes and coupling nuts to allow for bed leveling.

both options will have a sheet of PEI taped to the top of the heated bed in the 8x8 square heated area.

48 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-04-03 19:32:11)

Sorry I missed this. You don't have to drill anything. I used the old hardware.

I took the four screws and the spacers. I threaded the screws in the bottom. Pass the them thru the spacer. In my case I cut some FR6 (PCB boards) in to small squares. Then tighten the screws till they make contact to the bottom of the FR6 which then makes contact to the Mk2b. So the screws push up to the mk2b which then presses the PEI (Which is backed with a sheet of 468MP) to the side hooks. I used a bubble level to square it up.

Currently not at home. But I'll make a diagram of what I mean if my description sucks.

No I gotcha. I read elsewhere that you did something like that. I was just going to go this route considering my plastic bed carriage piece I haven't found time to machine and press the Teflon bushings into, so I've got some time on my hands before that's all done.

Yeah I am going to have to address that pretty soon. Its starting to sag and bounce when it prints now. I've tighten the side screws twice already. I have all the parts here to do what I want to do to replace all that. Just time to do it is the key.