Re: E3Dv6 on Solidoodle Press

I'd turn the stepper around 180. So the wires can either go thru the hood or down the back. And I believe you have the fan on the v6 backwards.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

MacGyverX wrote:

I'd turn the stepper around 180. So the wires can either go thru the hood or down the back. And I believe you have the fan on the v6 backwards.

Thanks for that, I will make those changes - glad I posted some pics now smile

403 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-05-31 13:16:36)

Staging up for the next mod/upgrade.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ0972531A.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ721494EB.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ0ACE0A32.jpg

I must say, Even thou I knew what the dimensions were for the Cyclops- But 'in-person', Man its small.

I have two big print jobs to run before I can slap this puppy on.

Couple of FYI's. Obviously I can't use the stock controller to do this. I was attempting to use it. But I ran into so many issues with the board I gave up on it. It was simpler to replace the board, And mod the Press FW to run on it. The board is a 'clone' RUMBA loaded with DRV8825's with E0/E1 set @ 1/32. To replicate the button on the top and the LEDs, I've tag teamed a Arduino Nano with the job of controlling a ring of W2811s in place of the stock ring and to control a large FET to main power (as in the 24V not mains (aka 115/240V) I've also reuse some of the functions in the press FW to home, pause and stop a job via the button. The one other thing I've added is a flame sensor and a smoke sensor which is also connected to the Nano. So if it detects anything it can kill power. The one other thing i've added was a color temp to visualize via the LEDs. So Blue to Red to slow pulsing green. This was done with reusing some of the BlinkM code in Marlin and the some of the code already in the Press FW.

I know I've skipped around a bit. (i.e replacement Z mount, which I am going to still do) But a friend was selling his Cyclops and I had to jump on that.

As usual- I'll post pictures and video and upload the STLs to my github account once I get everything up and working.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

404 (edited by Crucial 2015-06-03 01:07:53)

Thank you MacGyverX I just got my e3d bowden in the mail today and I hope to have it running within 96 hours big_smile

Edit: Nevermind, got shipped the wrong voltage heating block; working with Tim from filastruder to see what I can do

I finally completed the upgrade to my E3D Lite6. All I can say is "WOW"! Print quality is astonishing! Vertical walls are so smooth! None of the little ridges I was getting with the stock one. I love this. Was a real process to do the upgrade, but so worth it. Not sure how a bit of metal with a hole in it can make such a difference, but this thing is incredible.

just to double check, the press's extruder fan voltage is 24 volts right? if not then is it ok to run the e3d v6 fan on the 12v line?

I'm pretty sure the Press uses 24v throughout, check the label on the E3D's fan - it should be 24v.

I just broke out the multimeter and the fan pins from where the old one was is reading 12volts, now that is not having started heating up the extruder but I think it should always be at 100%. I might end up making a jumper straight from the DC in plug to get the 24v

That's interesting, I don't know why they would do that. 24v fan are cheaper than 12v regulators.

I guess that header could be 50% PWM'ed in software.

http://soliforum.com/i/?iZP75E1.jpg Problem Solved big_smile

I just got an MK8 drive wheel for a bit more drive force. I looked around for the ninjaflex friendly bowden drive components, but couldn't find them. Any advice on where to look?

Solidoodle Press, Deltamaker, Makerbot, Heavily modified Shapeoko 2 CNC router.

When I dismantled my Press to fit my E3D Lite6, I noticed that the fan on the Press is a 12V fan. The one which came with the E3D is 24V. I just plugged it in to the same header anyway. It works fine.

It is only producing half of the output. If you're experiencing jams, that's the cause.

Haven't had any issues with jams so far...

I planning on hopefully getting to be able to print polycarb, so I definitely need the extra cooling big_smile

416 (edited by Crucial 2015-06-13 00:28:10)

I know you guys are probably tired of "How do I AVR?" questions, but for some reason (in ubuntu) I cannot get the programmer (https://www.pololu.com/product/1300) working. when I try to flash it I get these messages

zach@ZachPC:~/Desktop$ sudo avrdude -c avrispv2 -b 20000 -i 10 -p AT90USB1286 -P /dev/ttyACM0 -F -U flash:w:Solidoodle_Press_Modified_Firmware.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0xc857a2
avrdude: Expected signature for AT90USB1286 is 1E 97 82
avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Anybody know a fix for this? or did it flash?

Nevermind I had my header plugged in backwards

Everything works great! except my extruder runs backwards,can i just flip the polarity or is that a firmware thing that i need to change?

Either solution will work, I'd opt for flipping the plug on the board.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Do I need to flip all 4 wires? or just the positive and ground?

Rotate the plug, reinsert.

elmoret wrote:

Rotate the plug, reinsert.

^That.
If the plug doesn't fit because of two tabs, use a razor to trim them off.  Alternately you can pull the connectors from the plug by lifting the little plastic tabs out of the way or pushing the little metal tabs in while pulling on the wire.  Then just reverse the order.  I prefer cutting the tabs off.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

When I was going through my firmware, I'm sure there was a setting to reverse the steppers (each one individually). If my memory hasn't failed me, you should be able to just reverse the E-stepper, compile and reflash.

I got it to run backwards, but now it seems all of my steppers are fried or broken or something; so i made a new thread for it here http://www.soliforum.com/topic/11480/br … r-stepper/

So if I was to make my own personal changes to the configuration.h and wanted to reflash the board, which files  do I compile to a hex?

425 (edited by IronMan 2015-06-15 23:55:12)

Crucial wrote:

So if I was to make my own personal changes to the configuration.h and wanted to reflash the board, which files  do I compile to a hex?

Rotating the plug is the best means to your end...

EDIT:  Be sure you power off completely (disconnect USB as well) when unplugging and re-plugging!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!