1 (edited by Fredjikrang 2015-01-29 06:02:36)

Topic: Filament reviews (Press)

I figured it would be helpful for people to see some reviews of different filaments and how useful they are on the Press, so here we go!

Filament: PET from MakerGeeks.com http://www.makergeeks.com/pet3dprfi1.html
Extruder temp: 230º C
Bed temp: 50º C
Software: Soliprint
Layer height: 0.3mm
Rating: 10/10.

This was my first print with this material, and it worked better than I could have imagined! It is a solid filament that doesn't show any signs of expansion, shrinking, or absorbed water! I didn't dry it or anything before printing, and it sparkles like crystal in the light. (The moire helps. . .)

I give this filament a 10/10 rating because it is easy to print and gives excellent results. There is the drawback of price though, with 1/2 Kg costing $80!

Post's attachments

IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg 1.34 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0073.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg 1.65 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by Fredjikrang 2015-01-29 04:19:52)

Re: Filament reviews (Press)

Filament: Taulman PCTPE
Extruder temp: 260º C
Bed temp: 90º C
Rating: 7/10

This is a really interesting material. It is very soft, which creates some problems. I also had trouble with a lot of bubbles in the final print if it wasn't dried before printing. In order to dry it I just turned the bed on my Press on to 90º C, and put the filament on the bed and closed up the printer for a couple of hours.

This filament sticks really well to glue stick on the bed.

This is a difficult filament to print with Soliprint since it doesn't give good control over printing speeds, especially with solid infill layers. Here you can see the stringing on the bottom of the test print where the printer was moving faster than the filament could be extruded.

Post's attachments

PCTPE_dry_side.jpg
PCTPE_dry_side.jpg 1.37 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

PCTPE_dry_top.jpg
PCTPE_dry_top.jpg 1.79 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

PCTPE_wet_side.jpg
PCTPE_wet_side.jpg 1.82 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

PCTPE_wet_top.jpg
PCTPE_wet_top.jpg 1.31 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

I am moving this to our Filament section as filament is very generic and not really printer specific. You might note in your current/future reviews what printer you used.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

4 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-28 21:05:36)

Glad to see the hotend on the Press can handle these materials. Very well done. I encourage everybody to try something other than ABS. ABS is King, but there are way more fun materials smile i love PET. I'd print everything in t-glase if it wasn't so expensive.

You should definitely use a host which gives you more control. You will see much better results I'm sure.

jagowilson wrote:

Glad to see the hotend on the Press can handle these materials. Very well done. I encourage everybody to try something other than ABS. ABS is King, but there are way more fun materials smile i love PET. I'd print everything in t-glase if it wasn't so expensive.

You should definitely use a host which gives you more control. You will see much better results I'm sure.

+1 t-glase is by far my favorite filament. t-glase + .6mm nozzle = perfection

Filastruder

6 (edited by Fredjikrang 2015-01-29 04:20:03)

Filament: Solidoodle ABS (Red)
Extruder temp: 240º C
Rating: 7/10

I ordered this filament while I was still waiting for my printer. It prints pretty well, and is definitely a step above the starter ABS that came with the printer. It is significantly more elastic and less brittle. The color isn't great. It is kind of an orangish-red instead of a true red, and the dye seems to stick in the extruder. I printed some clear PET after using some of this filament, and even after purging with 200mm of PET the extruded plastic still had a slight reddish tinge to it.

In short, I doubt I will be buying more Solidoodle ABS. It cost $60 after shipping, and doesn't seem to have any real advantages. I guess it fits in the lid of the press, but since you pretty much can't print with the lid closed that isn't much motivation.

Post's attachments

IMG_0080.jpg 1.24 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg 1.49 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

7 (edited by Fredjikrang 2015-01-29 02:38:03)

jagowilson wrote:

Yeah, I have to say, I am pretty sold on PET. I am going to try some of Printed Solid's opaque PET, and that may become my go to filament. Great stuff!

I probably will go to a different host once Repetier is updated to the newest version on Mac. I figured that I would stick with Soliprint for now, since that is what most new Press users will be using for a while at least.

8 (edited by Fredjikrang 2015-01-29 04:20:13)

Filament: Taulman T-glass (Black)
Extruder temp: 230-250º C
Bed temp: 50-60º C
Rating: 2/10

I just don't think that the Press will be able to print T-glass stock. The high temperature and low speed needed are a bad mix for the already inadequate cooling on the extruder. I tried a number of times and at a bunch of different settings, but wasn't able to get an acceptable print. At 230º C the filament would print if the speed was low, but with very poor inter-layer adhesion, and at the higher temperatures the cool part of the hot end would get too warm and the extruder would start to jam.

I can't recommend T-glass with the Press. It is likely that some additional cooling on the extruder would make this possible, but I don't see it working with a stock Press, which is really unfortunate.

Post's attachments

IMG_0082.jpg
IMG_0082.jpg 1.59 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg 1.77 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0086.jpg 1.91 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

9 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-29 04:02:03)

I've gone through an entire spool of t glase now. From my experience it looks like the extruder isn't providing enough tension. The filament is pretty rigid and it requires a really good trip to get moving. If you find a way to increase the tension, you might be ok. Failing that, the hotend probably doesn't allow smooth flow. You should also consider a larger layer height. For best optical clarity, they recommend a layer height 80% of the nozzle diameter, so .32 in this case.

T glase works better with larger nozzles though. .4 is really pushing it. Could always put in a .6 nozzle, it looks swappable.

Yeah, I was already printing at 0.3mm, so I don't think that would make a difference. A bigger nozzle would probably help though. I still don't think it is doable on a stock Press though, which is kind of what I want to determine in these reviews.

11 (edited by Fredjikrang 2015-01-29 06:01:39)

Filament: Bendlay
Rating: 10/10

Another great filament! I printed this at my standard ABS settings and it printed perfectly first try! This filament is similar to the PET that I started this thread with, but it is significantly more flexible. I think that it is actually a little bit more transparent as well. I might recommend a slightly higher extruder temperature though. Overall I got really good adhesion, but there were a couple of weaker spots. Probably 245-250º would be best.

I highly recommend this filament if you want something with some flex to it. It is also kind of pricey ($80 for 0.75Kg) but not as much as the PET.

Post's attachments

IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg 1.34 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg 1.47 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0089.jpg 1.58 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

Read this http://www.soliforum.com/topic/9347/sol … to-fix-it/ and fix the moire in your prints. They all look terrible.

Also, your temp for t-glase should be around 220C.  Its not meant to print at high temps.

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Read this http://www.soliforum.com/topic/9347/sol … to-fix-it/ and fix the moire in your prints. They all look terrible.

Also, your temp for t-glase should be around 220C.  Its not meant to print at high temps.

Yes, I am aware of how to fix the moire. I just haven't had a chance to do it yet, especially since it hasn't affected the usability of my prints so far. Also, as I have said before, I want this to be a reference for people about the capabilities of the printer as shipped. I probably will fix it eventually though. Thank you for posting the link though! It will be a good reference for anyone else who reads this thread!

The Press reports a higher temperature than the actual nozzle temp (at least in Soliprint V1.0), and the range of temperatures that I tested T-glass at covers a 220C nozzle temperature.

Fredjikrang wrote:

The Press reports a higher temperature than the actual nozzle temp (at least in Soliprint V1.0),

I'm rather skeptical of this based on the location of the thermocouple.

Filastruder

I will try it again at a set temperature of 220C and post the results tonight. I don't have high hopes, as I was already getting really poor inter-layer adhesion at 230, but we'll see.

16 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-29 19:39:33)

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Not sure where you get 220C from. I had very poor results with blue t glase at any temperature below 235C, which, as noted by Taulman, is the lowest optimum temperature: http://taulman3d.com/t-glase-features.html. I tried t glase on a brand new heatbrake and .6 nozzle (e3d v6) so we can probably rule out any issues with my setup.

I fought t glase for a while because everyone suggested lower temperatures. If you have problems with t glase 99% of the time it's just because you're printing too cold, in my experience. The #1 sign you're printing too cold is poor layer adhesion, if you aren't having flow problems.

That being said, t glase is incredibly unimpressive at bridging at temps above 230 in my experience, so 230c was my happy spot. (Note: no nozzle fan)

We have a whole topic dedicated to t-glase http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3722/taulman-tglase/

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Yesterday I dusted off my spool of t-glase and went into calibration mode for an upcoming project that will be printed in PET.

I am running a .6mm nozzle @ 220C with very impressive results. Had to tweak my destring settings slightly to account for the bigger nozzle. Watertight single walls no problem with no warping.  I forgot how good this stuff was.

I did print it on an e3d v5...maybe the nozzle temps are off

Filastruder

18 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-29 22:50:10)

My guess is that the colorant might be a significant factor too. I see people saying they print clear just fine at 212. I can free air extrude blue t glase at 212, but at printing speeds, it wouldn't flow at all. I'd love to find a way to print it lower because it seems to have a dramatic effect on optical clarity, although layer height matters more (exponential relationship according to taulman).

19 (edited by Fredjikrang 2015-01-30 05:49:08)

Filament: Taulman Nylon 618
Extruder temp: 250º C
Bed temp: 95º C
Rating: 9/10

I was actually surprised that I got this to print first try without any real trouble. I had always heard that Nylon was one of the more difficult materials to print, but I didn't have any problem.

I dried the loose filament on the bed of the printer at 95º C for about an hour before printing. I did set Soliprint to slow down on layers that would print in less than 180 seconds (So, every layer in this print. It is the only reliable way that I have found for slowing the printer down using Soliprint.) It printed pretty well, but it could probably use a bit more heat. The interlayer adhesion wasn't the best, so I would probably try 260º C if I were to print this again. It is really strong in the x/y direction though!

I did have one corner lift slightly off of the bed. I bet that this could be a problem with bigger prints, but it seemed to stick pretty well to glue stick on glass. If I were doing a bigger print I would clean the glass and put down some fresh glue. (I have been using pretty much the same glue for all of these prints, only occasionally putting down a little bit more.)

Edit: I ended up doing another print at 260º and it is much better. I wouldn't go much hotter than that though, since I could see the PTFE starting to melt on the heater cartridge.

Post's attachments

IMG_0090.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg 1.42 mb, 1 downloads since 2015-01-30 

IMG_0091.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg 1.45 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

Filament: PET+ by MadeSolid
Extruder temp: 230-260º C
Bed temp: 60-80º C
Rating: 2/10

Sadly I had a very similar experience trying to print this material as T-Glase. The extruder just isn't good at these kinds of materials. I am working on a way to increase the cooling so that I can give these materials another try, as I feel like they are good materials, just difficult to print on the Press.

Filament: Graphite filled ABS by Filabot
Extruder temp: 250º C
Rating: 9/10

This filament printed just like normal ABS, but it really does seem to have a slicker surface than normal ABS. I bet that in a wearing location the difference would be even more striking! When I just extruded a little bit of filament from the hot end, it seemed a little lumpy, but that didn't seem to have any real impact on the final quality of the print.

Post's attachments

IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg 30.71 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0099.jpg 43.6 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg 28.87 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Filament: HIPS by Reprapper Tech Ltd
Rating: 10/10

This stuff prints very well, and with less shrink than ABS. It still smells when printing, but it didn't seem as strong as ABS. Overall, I feel like HIPS is possibly a better 3D printing filament than ABS, and might move to it as my primary filament! (Probably not this color though!)

Post's attachments

IMG_0101.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg 32.72 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg 30.51 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0103.jpg 28.06 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

23 (edited by Fredjikrang 2015-02-16 14:55:13)

Filament: BioFila Silk by twoBears
Extruder temp: 190º C
Bed temp: 50º C
Rating: 8/10

This filament was a little bit tricky, but I was able to get pretty good results with it. My first two tries I ran into the classic Press jamming problem, but once I turned the temperature down to 190º C I was able to finish my cube print.

This filament is shiny! Also, it is very smooth to the touch, seeming to almost not have any friction. I did have some small holes appear in the print, and I'm not really sure what caused them, but they could be a problem for art prints.

This filament has a sweet smell, similar to PLA, when being printed.

Post's attachments

IMG_0104.jpg 30.83 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0105.jpg 29.98 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg 29.65 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg 24.95 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

may also note what safety  measures where taken to deal with the materials that have very toxic fumes/off gassing since the Press dont even have filters etc for ABS, PLA. some of the materials listed here are extremely dangerous to use without industrial lab much less in home. see MSDS on them. this has also been talked about on this forum.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I haven't heard of any of these materials being particularly dangerous. Which ones are you referring to? Could you provide some links where I can read up on this?