Re: Filament reviews (Press)

Discussion on Filament safety measures has been moved here: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/10036/di … nt-safety/

Any further off topic posts will be deleted.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

27 (edited by Fredjikrang 2015-02-21 00:18:51)

Filament: PolyMax by Polymaker
Extruder temp: 210º C
Bed temp: 60º C
Software: Soliprint
Layer height: 0.3mm
Rating: 10/10

I lied about HIPS. This is my new favorite filament! It prints like a dream at these settings, the layer adhesion is incredible, and the strength and toughness is fantastic. Also, no warp and no obnoxious fumes. The only downsides are a relatively high price ($50/0.75Kg) and the very limited colors. Right now it is only available in black and white.

But, I like it enough that I went ahead and bought two reels of it!

Post's attachments

IMG_0113.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg 23.76 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0114.jpg 20.5 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Filament: PLAtinum by Taulman
Extruder temp: 195º C
Bed temp: 70º C
Rating: 7/10

As printing PLA on the Press is normally next to impossible, I really struggled to get this filament to print, but then I saw a post on the Press forum about flipping the fan around on the extruder, and with this simple little tweak I was able to get PLA to print pretty well! I did have some trouble getting it to stick to the bed initially (glass with glue stick) but increasing the temperature to 70º seemed to fix it.

The filament itself is very pretty, and seems pretty tough and has really good layer adhesion. If it were just a bit easier to print on the press I would have given it a full 10/10.

Post's attachments

IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0115.jpg 34.52 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0116.jpg
IMG_0116.jpg 33.16 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Filament: Biopolymer by 3Dom (?)
Extruder temp: 250º C
Bed temp: 90º C
Rating: 3/10

I am not convinced that I actually got the right material from globalFSD on this one. Supposedly it is Ingeo, or a kind of PLA, but I couldn't get it to extrude at all until I hit about 230º, and that was with some help. It does extrude pretty well at 250º, but the layer adhesion is very poor, and it doesn't seem particularly strong. It also shrinks a lot as it cools, and was moderately difficult to get stuck to the bed.

The good news is that I couldn't detect any odor what so ever as it was printing. It didn't smell sweet like PLA, or harsh like ABS. It just didn't smell like anything.

In short, it prints pretty well at high temps, but doesn't have very good mechanical properties.

Post's attachments

IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg 33.65 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg 33.65 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg 35.83 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

This is a list of some of the filaments that I have tried and haven't had any luck getting to work at all:

ColorFabb XT
EasyWood by FormFutura
Tech G by Taulman
Semi flex by Fenner Drives (This might work with some kind of adapter.)

I have tried these filaments numerous times with a lot of different settings. After my recent success with PLA once I flipped the fan on my Press I even went back and tried most of these again, along with T-glase (which I had moderate success with, but still jammed on longer prints.)

You should try a larger nozzle like a 0.6 for those filaments. I wonder if e3d nozzles fit?

I actually have an E3D on the way, and will be putting it on. . . next week maybe? I'm still missing a few of the parts needed for the mod, but I am looking forward to it!

Filament: HIPS by SainSmart
Extruder temp: 250º C
Bed temp: 90º C
Software: Slicer and Octopi
Rating: 5/10

This stuff prints okay. It doesn't warp as badly as the Solidoodle ABS, but it isn't as strong either. It also pops all the time! This leads to a rough finish and gaps in the print. I'm not sure why it does that, as I haven't really had any moisture problems with any of my other filaments. Nylon a little bit, but even it wasn't this bad! I think I will try a different brand of HIPS.