Re: SD Press - Under the Kimono

If there are any SD folks reading this thread. Could you share what the PWM port was intended for? Is it mapped anywhere in the FW? If so- How does one configure the FW to use it.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

I'am rather new to 3D printing. What exactly is PEI and whats the purpose of it? Also, where would I be able to buy it. Also, I am finding its "self leveling" software to be not so self leveling. It seems to change itself on every print and I always seem to have one side of the print never able to stick unless oneside gets smashed and the other prints normally. Any suggestions? Thank you

I was able to probe an map all the pins on the JST headers to the AT90 (Manually with a meter... argh). I am going to see if I can temp reconfigure an endstop to one of those pins. If this works, I'll be able to get a thermocouple and a filament diameter sensor working. And on that note I maybe able to map the PWM fan port to another pin that supports PWM and make a externet FET to control a fan.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

MacGyverX wrote:

And on that note I maybe able to map the PWM fan port to another pin that supports PWM and make a externet FET to control a fan.

I was wondering about this possiblity.  Or even just designating a digital pin that could be used for on/off control of a fan at 100% power.

When you were looking at adding a fan, did you have any ideas about how to mount one on the stock extruder?  I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to do so.  I'd mount one now and just control it manually if I had the skills to design a shroud. (for PLA printing)

155 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-23 22:32:44)

As I didn't run the stock setup for very long. I didn't design a fan mount for it. I have a fan mount for the extruder mount I designed for the E3D mod.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ3FE64CE3.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ1D30BCD8.jpg

Since I was not able to the PWM port to work at the time of release for the bowden config, I removed it.

But 50x15mm blower (pointing down) will fit in the space to the right of the stock extruder assembly. The stock fan would have to come out of course then relocated (Another small reason why I went bowden). The space around the stock setup is tight. If you place the stock right side fan in place of the 'viewing window' then it will collide with the press frame if you get it too close.

When I get a chance, I'll measure out the stock extruder assembly and see if I can figure something out.

I stand corrected. Below (My crude mockup held together with double sided tape)

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ0ADE9A3B.jpg

That would work. I'll see what I can do about making a mount for that setup.

That would be awesome!  thanks!

I actually have a little room at the front of the Y axis anyway.  I installed some printable belt tensioners and had to reduce my Y-travel to 190mm to accomodate them.  It's a hack, but is working for now.

I have a prototype made (CAD wise). Printing it now. I'll fit together and post some pics.

I need to make some changes. But here what I got. I'll clean it up when I get back from this meeting.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ2692894A.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ68CC2A3D.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ14765571.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ3122A497.jpg

Cool.  I ordered a 50x15mm blower, which I should have thursday or friday, so I should be able to give it a try then.

You'll want the mount to be as thin as possible.  upon further examination, even with my print area reduced to 190mm in the Y-axis, there is about 14mm of clearance between the metal of the extruder and the plastic at the front of the press. 

Normally, the black release lever and screw posts straddle the plastic... so the clearance is *very* small.  I think with the current design, I'll need to reduce the print area even further. (which I'm willing to do... it seems like a reasonable trade-off for now.)

Print Head at Y = 190mm:

http://i.imgur.com/97OGPoT.jpg

thanks again.

Yeah I've changed it and shaved off a couple mm of the mount. Once the parts for my DRO (For an unrelated project) gets done printing. I'll print the update.

On a side note, I see your lever is slightly bent also.

One quick question to other Press owners- Are you seeing discoloration of the wire loom? Mine is turning this ashy white. Its not a film, the actual plastic is discoloring. I was planing to change it out anyway but just wanted to know if it just mine or other are seeing to too.

Dream-Cypher wrote:

Cool.  I ordered a 50x15mm blower, which I should have thursday or friday, so I should be able to give it a try then.

You'll want the mount to be as thin as possible.  upon further examination, even with my print area reduced to 190mm in the Y-axis, there is about 14mm of clearance between the metal of the extruder and the plastic at the front of the press. 

Normally, the black release lever and screw posts straddle the plastic... so the clearance is *very* small.  I think with the current design, I'll need to reduce the print area even further. (which I'm willing to do... it seems like a reasonable trade-off for now.)

Print Head at Y = 190mm:

http://i.imgur.com/97OGPoT.jpg

thanks again.

Where'd you order the 50x15 blower?  I've been looking for one as well.

I ordered from amazon... there were only 2 available with prime shipping... (literally two... two models, each with only 1 remaining in stock.).  By the time i decided which I wanted, someone had purchased it... so I got the other. tongue

There were lots on there that didn't have prime shipping.  also on ebay.  be careful though... some of the ones on ebay say 50x15mm, but the description says 50mmx20mm.

MacGyverX wrote:

Yeah I've changed it and shaved off a couple mm of the mount. Once the parts for my DRO (For an unrelated project) gets done printing. I'll print the update.

On a side note, I see your lever is slightly bent also.

One quick question to other Press owners- Are you seeing discoloration of the wire loom? Mine is turning this ashy white. Its not a film, the actual plastic is discoloring. I was planing to change it out anyway but just wanted to know if it just mine or other are seeing to too.

I haven't noticed any discoloration, but I haven't actually had a chance to get near the printer in the last few days to double-check.

Regarding the lever, it was that way when I received it... I just assumed that was standard.  It hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

I did receive my blower fan yesterday, so I can give the mount a try whenever you think it is ready.

Here you go > https://github.com/ymilord/Solidoodle-P … an%20Mount

That's about as thin as I can get it. You'll need a couple M3 screws in place of the knurled ones.

Thanks! 

I'll try to get this printed over the next day or so and give it a try.

Thanks! 

I'll try to get this printed over the next day or so and give it a try.

np. I've soft mounted this to the stock assembly.It looks good, but its not mounted on the printer (I've switch my setup from bowden / non-bowden 47 times - lol yes I counted. I am kinda done for now on disassembling my printer) It looks like a drop in. But if not. Just tell me how much over (or under) it is in mm and I'll make the adjustment.

What length m3 screw would you recommend? I'm probably going to have to go buy some, or order online somewhere.  Most of the assortments I've seen start with m4 size, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Dunno if you live in the states but Home Depot has a okay selection for M3's & M4's (Everytime I go I grab and random assort of screws and nuts)

As for the length I'd say 24mm? You can always get 30mm and cut them down with a dremel.

Dream-Cypher, Did it work out?

Later today I am going to try to see if I can map the PWM pin to somewhere else. I've made a small FET breakout board to test/troubleshoot with.

Has anyone noticed that SD presence here (and IRC) have completely stopped?

MacGyverX wrote:

Later today I am going to try to see if I can map the PWM pin to somewhere else. I've made a small FET breakout board to test/troubleshoot with.

Virtually stopped wink
http://www.soliforum.com/search/posts/user/5809/

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Ah I was looking at the wrong user. Huh okay. And it seems like one logged into the IRC channel a couple mins ago.

I am just trying to get some info bout the PWM pin. I've asked here, IRC and emailed them. Nothing. Just wanting to know if I am wasting time on this or not.

Did you email Ryan?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

MacGyverX wrote:

I printed it last night, but haven't had a chance to mount it yet... I should have the M3 screws later today.  It looks pretty good.  Maybe could be a tiny bit smaller in one spot, but I'm not sure yet... I'll send a picture once I mount it. (I should have a chance either tonight or tomorrow.)