Re: SD Press - Under the Kimono

MacGyverX wrote:

The next step is the replace the green LED ring with a ring of WS2811's then change the patterns for functions. i.e. pulse orange with the bed/hotend it getting up to temp. Flash red for errors etc...

That is brilliant.  Would you run the new light ring off the atmega or attiny chip?

Second question, have you done any probing or circuit trace to determine the number of wires that connect the atmega and attiny chips?  In the firmware I only found the one wire, PRINTING_PIN = PIND4, which activates the LED ring through the attiny.

I also see pins for home, pause, and cancel in there. Interesting ... cool

#define PRINTING_PIN         PIND4            // OUTPUT tell ATtiny we are printing
    #define PRESS_HOMEXY         PIND5            // INPUT tell firmware to home x/y
    #define PRESS_PAUSE_PRINT    PIND6                      // INPUT tell soliprint to pause
    #define PRESS_CANCEL_PRINT   PIND7

I am assuming that the one of 5 pin JST connectors on the board go to it. I'd replace the firmware on the the tiny. Then use the interconnect between the atmega and the tiny to trigger events.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

103 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-07 18:27:38)

If I had to guess JP7 goes to the ATTINY. Looking at the board there are two traces leaving from Pin 12 and Pin 13. Pin 12 goes to a unpopulated R44 and Pin 13 goes to a unpopulated R55. The other side of the chip is super close to the ISCP header so visually it's hard to see what other traces are leaving it. I don't see any vias immediately around the chip (unless they are underneath)

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ1B7D324F.jpg

Pin 12 is Analog / PCINT1
Pin 13 is Analog / PCINT0

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Has anyone looked into how to add another fan for PLA printing?

worldburger wrote:

I was taking measurements for this the other night.  That front plastic cowl on the extruder looks like it could easily be replace with a fan duct.

The only issue is selective control of the fan to turn it on and off.  You could easily take power from the extruder cooling fan but you'd have no remote/external control of the fan.

cptskippy wrote:
worldburger wrote:

I was taking measurements for this the other night.  That front plastic cowl on the extruder looks like it could easily be replace with a fan duct.

The only issue is selective control of the fan to turn it on and off.  You could easily take power from the extruder cooling fan but you'd have no remote/external control of the fan.

For PLA you want it on all the time anyway. I did see in one of the photos of the motherboard someone posted a header labeled FAN in much the same place the PWM controlled fan header is on the printrboard, I don't know if it really provides a PWM controlled fan or not, but someone could try plugging in a fan and see if they can turn it on and off in the repetier host manual controls.

MacGyverX wrote:

As for the PWM & Open fan header. In the stock firmware (What's currently loaded now on the Press) both are active but set to on. M106 S255 / S0 does nothing to either ports. I am hopeful that this can be changed in the FW. Now that I have a backup. I am going to experiment.

I did. Look above.

The firmware files seem to show that FAN_PIN is defined as PIN 16 (for Motherboard=81), and the M106 command seems to still be present, so it is concerning that it doesn't work.  It would be nice if they would release the board design, so we could see if PIN16 is really the correct pin. 

One would hope those headers serve some purpose other than just being a constant power source... it seems unlikely they would label them FAN and PWM if there's no way to control them.

Not much point in contacting support about it, I suppose.  I've been waiting over 5 days for a response about actual broken pieces in the printer, and haven't gotten more than an autoreply.

cptskippy wrote:
worldburger wrote:

Cool.  As a contribution and incentive: I'd be happy to mail an SLA print (off a FormLabs printer) of a fan mount design for anybody a) who sketches a mount or b) solves the board/software situation.

110 (edited by cptskippy 2015-01-30 15:06:48)

I managed to recreate the extruder shroud last night in SCAD, I'll try to get a duct and fan mount version done this weekend.

Can anyone point me at the dimensions for the fan mount I should be using, screw sizes, and possibly a duct design?  I've seen a lot of different designs but I don't know what would work best.

I was thinking it would also be possible to put air across the heatsink on the feeder to potentially stop the filament warping issue a lot of people were having.  I'm not sure if I should try to design for both of these problems or make a shroud to solve each separately.

One of the potential pitfalls of mounting the fan to the front of the extruder is that it's going to seriously limit the y-axis travel.  The shape of the extruder and existing shroud is due in large part to not wanting it to collide with the front of the Press' frame.  It might be possible to create a mount for a blower fan that sits parallel to the bed and can pass safely under the front frame.

Post's attachments

IMG_20150130_025837.jpg
IMG_20150130_025837.jpg 2.04 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20150130_025950.jpg
IMG_20150130_025950.jpg 1.35 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20150130_030025.jpg
IMG_20150130_030025.jpg 1.78 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20150130_030121.jpg
IMG_20150130_030121.jpg 2.18 mb, 1 downloads since 2015-01-30 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

cptskippy wrote:

I managed to recreate the extruder shroud last night in SCAD, I'll try to get a duct and fan mount version done this weekend.

Can anyone point me at the dimensions for the fan mount I should be using, screw sizes, and possibly a duct design?  I've seen a lot of different designs but I don't know what would work best.

I was thinking it would also be possible to put air across the heatsink on the feeder to potentially stop the filament warping issue a lot of people were having.  I'm not sure if I should try to design for both of these problems or make a shroud to solve each separately.

One of the potential pitfalls of mounting the fan to the front of the extruder is that it's going to seriously limit the y-axis travel.  The shape of the extruder and existing shroud is due in large part to not wanting it to collide with the front of the Press' frame.  It might be possible to create a mount for a blower fan that sits parallel to the bed and can pass safely under the front frame.

Well, one guy somewhere said he was trying to cool the filament using an aquarium pump with the tubing pointed at the filament... maybe you could design a square funnel sort of thing that you could attach to the front of some standard fan, and reduce it to a round "nipple" that will accept some tubing, say a half inch diameter.  Then you could mount the fan someplace out of the way, say the underside of the lid or something, and have it force air through the tube to cool the filament.

112 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-07 18:28:32)

Close up of the Z-Probe / Z-Offset Probe

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ375290ED.jpg
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ47C41D4E.jpg

The switch type is 25V 1A SPDT 1NO 1NC Momentary Long Hinge Lever Micro Switch.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 … L1100_.jpg

I actually just bought a few of these for my laser cutter a couple months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SO0IGQ/

113 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-07 18:29:05)

Close-up of the Heater Cartridge. I know it's 24V but I don't know the wattage.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ5E8E0929.jpg

And the connector type is a 2-Pin Aristo Style JST Quick Connector /w 20 AWG wires.

https://www.cordlessrenovations.com/wp- … licone.jpg

114 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-07 18:30:10)

Hotend connector on the controller.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ06B49523.jpg
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ74DE7662.jpg

I was lucky to have a couple in my parts box.

VHR-2N - CONN HOUSING VH 2POS 3.96MM WH
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e … vendor=455

115 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-02 19:38:44)

I had the bottom off to reflash the firmware on the AT90USB1286 and I noticed a PCB at the bottom of the machine. If you flip the machine over and look at the hole next to the serial number you'll see it. Turns out its a end stop for Z. Which what I was saying this thing needed to prevent it from driving the bed to the center of the earth. Going thru the spaghetti of wires coming out if the bottom, I am pretty sure its going into 'E-Stop' on the controller. When I do :

Send: M119
Recv: Reporting endstop status
Recv: x_max: open
Recv: y_max: open
Recv: z_min: open
Recv: ok

Interesting...

MacGyverX wrote:

I had the bottom off to reflash the firmware on the AT90USB1286 and I noticed a PCB at the bottom of the machine. If you flip the machine over and look at the hole next to the serial number you'll see it. Turns out its a end stop for Z. Which what I was saying this thing needed to prevent it from driving the bed to the center of the earth.

On either side of the Z-Axis motor there are two Philips screws, if you remove those then the plastic cover over the Z-Axis rails and screw will come free.  In the lower left corner behind the left Z-Axis rail is a Z-Axis limit switch.

Ah cool.

When I manually press that endstop and run M119. Everything comes back as open. Wonder if its not configured. And if so, Why?

MacGyverX wrote:

Ah cool.

When I manually press that endstop and run M119. Everything comes back as open. Wonder if its not configured. And if so, Why?

I wonder if there's a bug in the firmware.  I've had my bed try to drill it's way to the center of the earth on a number of occasions but I have also had a instances where I thought I was sending the bed to China and it stopped.  I chalked it up to luck but maybe it works sometimes.

cptskippy wrote:
MacGyverX wrote:

Ah cool.

I wonder if there's a bug in the firmware.  I've had my bed try to drill it's way to the center of the earth on a number of occasions but I have also had a instances where I thought I was sending the bed to China and it stopped.  I chalked it up to luck but maybe it works sometimes.

from my reading of the firmware, it seems like maybe marlin only supports a single endstop?  Check out this code in Pins.h:

#ifdef X_STOP_PIN
  #if X_HOME_DIR < 0
    #define X_MIN_PIN X_STOP_PIN
    #define X_MAX_PIN -1
  #else
    #define X_MIN_PIN -1
    #define X_MAX_PIN X_STOP_PIN
  #endif
#endif

#ifdef Y_STOP_PIN
  #if Y_HOME_DIR < 0
    #define Y_MIN_PIN Y_STOP_PIN
    #define Y_MAX_PIN -1
  #else
    #define Y_MIN_PIN -1
    #define Y_MAX_PIN Y_STOP_PIN
  #endif
#endif

#ifdef Z_STOP_PIN
  #if Z_HOME_DIR < 0
    #define Z_MIN_PIN Z_STOP_PIN
    #define Z_MAX_PIN -1
  #else
    #define Z_MIN_PIN -1
    #define Z_MAX_PIN Z_STOP_PIN
  #endif
#endif

Essentially, each axis can either have a MAX stop pin, or a MIN stop pin..., does M119 read the probe's microswitch for the Z axis? (I'm not home to try it right now.)

Maybe that is supposed to link into the AT-TINY, which would perform an E-Stop if it is activated?

Also, I noticed this setting in configuration.h:

#define ENDSTOPS_ONLY_FOR_HOMING // If defined the endstops will only be used for homing

Which seems to imply that even if the limitswitch was active, it would only work while homing, not when printing. (apparently in the past some users have had issues with endstops activating falsely during printing?)

MacGyverX wrote:

I had the bottom off to reflash the firmware on the AT90USB1286 .

Have you successfully compiled and uploaded the Solidoodle Marlin firmware for the press?  I've compiled a version with the anti-backlash code, but have been a little nervous about uploading it, in case what they provided source code for isn't really what's loaded on the press.

I have an AVR-ISP somewhere, if I would need to use that to recover using a hex file, but it's been a long, long time since I've used it, and my skills are rusty.

121 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-04 17:24:10)

Yeah I have. I had to get the E3D going. I used a USBTinyISP and pulled a 'base copy' of the HEX. Downloaded the SD supplied Press FW then made changes from there. On both the AT90USB1286 & the ATTINY2313. I used Arduino 1.06 with the Teensyduino and Teensyloader installed to create the modded HEX. Then moved the HEX to a RPi and used avrdude to push the HEX to the Press.

As for the E-STOP header on the controller, I thats going to the bottom of Z. When I go around to all the endstops and test with M119 all come back except the endstop at the bottom of Z. Nothing happens in the console when its pressed. As for is it bug or a feature that was install for a future 'update' I don't know. I would love to have the gerber/eagle files to fine out where its going to.

MacGyverX wrote:

Yeah I have. I had to get the E3D going. I used a USBTinyISP and pulled a 'base copy' of the HEX. Downloaded the SD supplied Press FW then made changes from there. On both the AT90USB1286 & the ATTINY2313. I used Arduino 1.06 with the Teensyduino and Teensyloader installed to create the modded HEX. Then moved the HEX to a RPi and used avrdude to push the HEX to the Press.

As for the E-STOP header on the controller, I thats going to the bottom of Z. When I go around to all the endstops and test with M119 all come back except the endstop at the bottom of Z. Nothing happens in the console when its pressed. As for is it bug or a feature that was install for a future 'update' I don't know. I would love to have the gerber/eagle files to fine out where its going to.

Have you considered posting the process (E3D extruder install, firmware update)? I'd be curious to see all of this smile

What didn't you like about the Press' stock extruder?  Why is the E3D so much better?  Fit stock?

123 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-04 17:41:18)

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/9485/is-it-just-me/ < I've been giving a play-by-play here.

For one, I've never got the stock extruder to finish one print. Not one. Since the E3D has been installed I've done 5 test prints back to back no issues.

MacGyverX wrote:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/9485/is-it-just-me/ < I've been giving a play-by-play here.

For one, I've never got the stock extruder to finish one print. Not one. Since the E3D has been installed I've done 5 test prints back to back no issues.

Nice design!

Hmm, that's unfortunate.  Were you able to diagnose the source of the failures?

My Press has done incredibly well (with S3D).  It squirted out a 10 hour print (7.9"x7x9" round base with a tapered center pillar up to 7.9").

Yeah, After about 3~8 layer or 15 mins of so, It would stop extruding. It would create filament dust or start thumping. When I took the chassis for the hotend apart, There would be a "C" shaped kink in the filament. I've tried temps between 210~290 still did it. If I where to guess. The assembly for the hotend gets hot and the filament starts to get 'floppy' and deforms.