176 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-04 16:27:06)

Re: SD Press - Under the Kimono

wardjr- Directly? No. I emailed support. I've talked him on IRC. He said he would get back to me about that. The day after I asked again if he found out anything and 15mins later logged out and never came back. That was about a month ago. *Shrug*

Dream-Cypher, Cool let me know. I'll make whatever changes you need.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

You should email him direct and see if you can't persuade a response.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Sorry for the decreased presence, guys. I still try to check in and help out whenever I can. Here's a bit on the PWM header:

The PWM header (CN17) is meant to be an optional expansion and is not used for anything as the printer is shipped. It is controlled by a FET (Q7) which is connected to pin 41 on the AT90 which is properly mapped as pin 16 for the fan pin in the firmware. Using the M105 command will properly change the state of this pin. However, unfortunately there was a mistake on the board where the FET to be connected incorrectly (the gate and source pins are reversed), causing it to be always on and not able to properly control the PWM header. We regret that this has happened and have since made the necessary changes to the board to fix this issue.

Former Solidoodle employee

soliryan wrote:

Sorry for the decreased presence, guys. I still try to check in and help out whenever I can. Here's a bit on the PWM header:

The PWM header (CN17) is meant to be an optional expansion and is not used for anything as the printer is shipped. It is controlled by a FET (Q7) which is connected to pin 41 on the AT90 which is properly mapped as pin 16 for the fan pin in the firmware. Using the M105 command will properly change the state of this pin. However, unfortunately there was a mistake on the board where the FET to be connected incorrectly (the gate and source pins are reversed), causing it to be always on and not able to properly control the PWM header. We regret that this has happened and have since made the necessary changes to the board to fix this issue.

*sigh* I suspected as much.

180 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-04 17:43:56)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

So that explains the weird behavior I was seeing on my scope. A dirty 12v feed.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

soliryan wrote:

Fair enough mistakes happen smile
Don't be a stranger it is always nice to have you involved in the community.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Any way that FET could be rewired with a rework station, or is it something that would require a breakout board to fix?

You would need to reflow, remove and flip the FET. Not for the avg. joe. I have a reflow setup. I do plan on doing it. But the Plan B would be to repurpose a pin on one of the JST headers and connect an external FET. But that's going to require some time for me to probe out the headers to the AT90. The FET part is easy.

Glad to know that my board is not bad or I screwed something up trying to figure it out.

I have a hot air reflow station. Just wasn't sure if the fet could be flipped, or if the traces on the board were located incorrectly.

If you make the change, I'd appreciate any pics/notes you could post describing the process.

I'm not sure if I'll give it a try or not...  but it's tempting.

185 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-04 17:54:46)

Well if the info is correct. I have no issues doing it. But yeah, I'll do a play by play.

With a huge ass disclaimer.

Well, that shouldn't be too bad to fix. I'll probably look into fixing it when I have a little more time.

By the way, is there a schematic for the Press board somewhere?

Nope.

Lame.

I had a lengthy battle of verbal jiu jitsu with soliryan about that. I understand where he is coming from as he work at SD and not running it. So its not his call.

But if the schematics were published, I would had found the reverse FET WEEKS ago. Vs. needless trial and error and bugging people at SD to figure out why it was not working. The thing that really, really annoys me is the lack of those docs. Gerbers/Eagle.. schematics, FW for the ATTINY etc.. What are they fearing exactly? Someone respinning the board to a different brand and resell it? (See what I did there?)

In all seriousness, I wanted to help. The faster we would found that issue. The faster it would had been solved.

Anyway. I 100% do not agree with that decision. An unfortunately as an end user there is nothing we can do about it. Short of not buying any more SD stuff. I would like them to succeed. But crap like that makes it hard.

Yeah. I could understand it if their board was substantially different from the open source boards, but let's be honest, it isn't. So they aren't really protecting anything.

Not to mention that they flat-out lie about the source being available in the manual for the Press.  It specifically says that the board is covered by the creative commons share-alike license and the source files for the MOTHERBOARD and the FIRMWARE are available on their website.

They are almost certainly violating the terms of the license they used to develop the board, it's just that no one probably cares enough to call them on it.  (It would probably need to be the creators of the original Printrboard that would need to make a stink about it, since the Press's board seems to be based on that, which was licensed under CC as well.)

MacGyverX wrote:

Dream-Cypher, Cool let me know. I'll make whatever changes you need.

MacGyverX,

Could you adjust the size of the two mounting holes?  The screws I have are pan-head screws (Head is 5.85 mm diameter, 2.5mm thick - may a 6mm opening, 3mm deep?)

the lower left mounting tab for the fan presses up against the bed probe.  I think the best solution would be to simply remove that tab (3 mounting holes for the fan should be enough).  The other option would be to add about 1.5mm of thickness to the rear of the mount (the part that is up agains the print head.  -- I think I prefer the first option, because it keeps things thinner.

http://i.imgur.com/36xTJb7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/t5eLK6P.jpg

The bigger problem is that the blower doesn't fit... I guess I didn't think about the fact that I was replacing a 40mm fan with a 50mm blower... but it cannot sit as low as needed, due to the carriage.  Any way to add a tab or something to the top of the mount that the blower could be mounted to? there's definitely no room on the right side of the printhead to add a bracket there.
If not, there's a slim chance that I could drill a hole through the blower casing without interfering with the fan blades, but it'd be awfully close.  I couldn't find a 40mmx15mm blower anywhere.. they are all 40x20, which would be too big.

Any other ideas?

Blower:
http://i.imgur.com/WwOvYIL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ItHvSDB.jpg

Maybe there would be some way to mount the blower on the front, rather than the other fan, and use some kind of nozzle to direct the air flow?

Also, I should mention that I don't have any issue with placing things above the printhead if that gives any ideas... I removed the spool-holder tray entirely, and just have the thin top cover.

194 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-05 16:51:45)

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ1D30BCD8.jpg

I failed to account for the tab for the lever on the stock extruder. Totally my fault there. I'll see about mounting it under the carriage behind the hot end. I'll switch back to the stock setup so I don't make another mistake like that.

What I really need to do is model the entire X/Y carriage. I'll start that later today.

On a completely unrelated note. I swapped out the stock extruder on my SD2. Did the firmware update for it. Installed the new hotness. Just to find out who ever installed the hobbed gear on the extruder at SD completely stripped out the grub screw (like completely...). Further more, When I have the unit flipped over. I saw one of the traces lifted off the Printrboard. (!!!) I was just printing mins before I took it apart. Electrically is works- But crazy fire hazard. So now I need a new controller. (*sigh* yay..)

Thanks!

Wow, that sucks about your SD2.  It's always something....

Yeah. This month or so has not been nice to me. I ordered a RAMBo (1.2) board for the SD2. It has a nice feature set. I guess for some folks the downfall would be the integrated drivers and the 1/16 microstepping. But I have not issues with that. One of the nice things about it is it has a software controlled trimpot & microstepping (so no jumpers or the 'tongue to the left while turning the trimpot' for adjustments.)

http://www.kc-kwan.com/online/pics/o_PC_Rambo_Version_1_2a_Mother_Board_02.jpg

Anyway, back to the Press stuff. I am about a quarter done on getting measurements of the X/Y gantry. I have not switched the business end out due the fact I am not down to one working printer. (Just in case I need to print something for the SD2, I can.)

Wow, Thanks for the offer. I already drilled it out and replaced the grub screw. So I am good to go there. Just waiting for FedEx today (Hopefully, We got a crap ton of snow yesterday/last night) for the controller.

No problem. I actually just deleted the post because after checking, all I have is an x and y motor... unless you think you can push filament with a GT2 pulley big_smile

199 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-10 18:53:16)

So I did the FET 'backflip' and it didn't work. The Printer is working fine (In fact its printing right now). But now I am getting now power out of the PWM header. I ordered a replacement FET from digikey. Well see how that goes.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e … ND/1706541

With the FET disconnected, are you able to see a PWM waveform on your scope, to verify that the pin really is responding?

So, this is a P-channel mosfet, rather than N-channel?