1 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-13 05:54:41)

Topic: SD Press - Under the Kimono

Internal Pictures of the mythical controller with-in the Press.

Mine came in pretty good condition. Lots of packing material. Complete 180 from how my SD2 was delivered.

Anyway on to the good stuff.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ65B2FD31.jpg < There is a MicroSD Slot.
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ4DC562A4.jpg < Controller
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ2D895ED3.jpg < Huh. Fan Header & PWM.
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ745A63F1.jpg < Other side.
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ2699DA6A.jpg < Test Print that fell out when I opened the door.

Looks like there is a 24V silicone Heated Bed. The heatup times on my SD2 from ambient (23C) to 117C is about 11 mins (Stock Bed upgraded PSU) on the Press its about 9mins from ambient (24C). There is some kind of residue on the bed. My guess would be from a glue stick. I think one of the first things I am going to do after this print is put kapton on the bed.

I will say this. The fans are kind of loud. It has a 60hz hum to it.

I've already got it connected and working with OctoPrint. In the process of printing a part that was printed from the SD2 (Using the same gcode.) It's a 2.5hr print. I'll post pictures from my Modified SD2 vs. the Stock Press.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Re: SD Press - Under the Kimono

Looking forward to seeing the comparison!
Thanks for taking the time to get into the printer enough to get us some pictures.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

3 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-15 23:32:47)

Interesting. So the Z Probe is also the Z limit switch. This explains why when I first homed it, It tried to snap the hotend off cause the probe was not extended. Noted.

Secondly I you can't just home Z alone. If you do, You get:

Send: G28 Z0
Recv: ok
Send: G90
Recv: echo:Home X/Y before Z

So you have to home Z/Y, Then when you Home Z the probe plops out. Then it homes Z. So no probe- Smashed hotend. Also noted. As for the Probe is uses the corner of the housing to retract the probe. This is on the left side of the chassis. It a 45 degree chamfer.

And to Z Probe manually (via gcode) you have to Home X/Y then you can issue a G29. Then it goes around measuring the bed.
Then you get this :

Send: G29
Send: M105
Recv: Bed x: 50.00 y: 150.00 z: 2.48
Recv: Bed x: 100.00 y: 150.00 z: 2.52
Recv: Bed x: 150.00 y: 150.00 z: 2.29
Recv: Bed x: 150.00 y: 100.00 z: 1.44
Recv: Bed x: 100.00 y: 100.00 z: 1.82
Recv: Bed x: 50.00 y: 100.00 z: 1.75
Recv: Bed x: 50.00 y: 50.00 z: 1.00
Recv: Bed x: 100.00 y: 50.00 z: 1.02
Recv: Bed x: 150.00 y: 50.00 z: 0.66
Recv: Eqn coefficients: a: -0.00 b: 0.02 d: 0.40
Recv: planeNormal x: 0.00 y: -0.02 z: 1.00
Recv: ok
Recv: echo:endstops hit:  Z:0.66

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

4 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-15 23:36:37)

What motherboard is that?

edit: read it wrong

5 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-13 05:55:20)

Here's a cropped/tighter shot of the drivers

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ6168E012.jpg

As for what type is it? It's as SD says, "A completely new Soidoodle Design"

Alright, cool. What does the firmware banner say in RH?

Have not connected it to RH yet. Right now I have OctoPrint controlling it. I'll check that out after this print is done.

I am very happy to see a vet with a Press. I look forward to your probing

No pun intended smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Okay, Z needs to have a limit switch. If something is at the bottom (i.e. you have a tall print) and you home it- It attempts to lower the bed into the earth. I am guessing its doing his to clear the hotend so the probe can extend.

It's a pity that they didn't take the opportunity of a controller board redesign to upgrade the extruder driver.   A couple of other users' sample prints still showed the typical Solidoodle moire.

Now that a Press is in the hands of someone who isn't brand new, the best thing you could probably do is create a RH profile for it that we can sticky.  I suspect that Soliprint will be a disaster for awhile, and new users have enough to deal with just learning about 3D printing without dealing with major software bugs on top of it.

Well do, As soon as I get my own issues cleared up. Which are popping up as fast as I fix them.

IanJohnson wrote:

It's a pity that they didn't take the opportunity of a controller board redesign to upgrade the extruder driver.   A couple of other users' sample prints still showed the typical Solidoodle moire.

Now that a Press is in the hands of someone who isn't brand new, the best thing you could probably do is create a RH profile for it that we can sticky.  I suspect that Soliprint will be a disaster for awhile, and new users have enough to deal with just learning about 3D printing without dealing with major software bugs on top of it.

+1 it would be really nice if we could help these guys out!

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the Press with Octoprint since you can't physically level the bed. I look forward to seeing how it turns out for you!

What do you mean by "since you can't physically level the bed" ? There are four M3 screws under the glass. I've had to adjust mine cause bed was sagging at the front of the bed.

15 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-16 04:39:37)

Okay so the knocking sound I've been getting is coming from the extruder stepper. Turns out the grub screw on the hobbed gear was less than finger tight. The stepper shaft is a "D" type. The thumping sound is the sharp side of the shaft rubbing against the grub screw.

In order to get to that, You have to take off everything around the extruder. Huh. Totally didn't expect that. On that note- The extruder is nice. It is all metal. The two main parts come off with thumb screws- The rest are M3's. Wasn't that bad to take apart.

I sure hope all the Press noobs read this thread to get a different perspective on how to deal with what most of us would call minor issues.
Please keep up the good work!!!

i will be trying to get a working simplify3d profile working once i have my press for those who prefer that software. It will be interesting to see just what the micro sd card is for.

its good to see the fan headers so we can print pla although i am worried about the fact that are 2 pin headers. will this mean the fan is always on?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

18 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-13 05:55:59)

I guess a status update is in order. My experience so far.

Unit came in about 11am yesterday. Unboxed & setup. Connected a RPi to it and powered the printer up. Since they ship the printer with the bed in the middle (With a foam block to hold it there) I figured I should home all the axis. So I decided to home Z first. Which then promptly shoved the bed deep into the hotends face.

Which I didn't know then but what I know now- You HAVE to home X/Y before you can home Z. As I stated in an earlier post. The probe for Z-Offset is also the Z-Endstop. BUT there has been 4 ~ 5 times where I DID home X/Y first- But for some reason it did not do the motions to extend the z-probe. In which once again the hotend gets a face full of heated bed. Seriously, I've had more head crashes in the last couple hours then I've ever had with my SD2. (Let that comment sink in for a second.)

Which leads me to another issue, There is some kind of software issue going on internally in the printer. The two prints that I attempted stopped mid-way thru. The other thing I noticed is the M105 call-backs (basically where your host control software plays marco polo with your controller with temp info) is sporadic. If you start the printer (or restart it) they come back in regular intervals. Once you do a movement command. Then the interval changes. If you home anything or issue a G29 for the Z-offset function, Then it has this sputtering like action. 

And the knocking sound I was getting from the extruder. Now this is where QC is kinda a issue. Now supposedly all of these printers did a test print before they left the factory. After printing for about 20 mins I was getting this thumping/knocking sound.
I killed the print and home everything. Move all the axis slowly to figure out what it was. I noticed if I tell it to extrude <5mm. No thump. Anything more. Thump, Thump, Thump... When I took the shroud off the extruder you can see the stepper shaft spinning and hit the grub screw in the hobbed gear. Like I could spin the gear around the shaft with my finger.

So this is where I'd like a repair/maintenance doc from SD (Yeah I know, Mostly like will not happen) You have to remove the entire assembly to to get to that. But what I noticed is there is a 'key way' that is near that gear which I was hoping it was there to tighten/loosen that gear. But nope. Goes to nowhere. Doesn't line up.

I figured while I had it apart I took a picture of it.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ412B2DA2.jpg

Anyway, After taking that apart I notice it was 2:30am and I needed to crash. I'll pick back up later today.

19 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-16 15:29:14)

Another thing I noticed is if you shutdown the machine in a emergency state (i.e. prevent the heatbed smashing into the hotend) when you bring the machine online, You can not raise the bed. It will allow you to go down- but not back up. The issue with this is when you home it, It tries to lower the bed. If the bed it already at the bottom, it will go further. And in one case smash into the bottom of the machine.

I've said this already, but there needs to be a limit switch for Z..

Thanks for the detailed write up!  It's a great help to those of us new to 3d Printing.

I have a quick question about Repetier Host that maybe you can answer... Do we have to use the Solidoodle version?  I notice that they are at version .85, vs 1.006 direct from Repetier.  The solidoodle version available for download does include a profile for the Press, but can I just use that same profile with a newer software version?

Also, I was also hearing a similar "knocking" sound from the feed gear.  raising my temperature a few degrees seemed to help, but if I need to disassemble everything to tighten the set screw... were there any springs or small parts I need to watch out for?  Someone mentioned on another thread that they had a spring pop out when they were disassembling it.

I am not using any of the SD branded software. So far I've only used Octoprint. Later I'll connect it to stock RH.

As for the grub screw > http://public.mlabs.us/ZZ1142642C.jpg . Figured that out this morning. Wish I'd know that when I took it apart 3 times ago.

MacGyverX wrote:

But what I noticed is there is a 'key way' that is near that gear which I was hoping it was there to tighten/loosen that gear. But nope. Goes to nowhere. Doesn't line up.

Seems like you might be able to get a shortened "L" shaped hex key in there to the left side clearance area of the drive hub...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Speaking of taking the extruder apart. I guess I lucked out when I took it off the first time. But the second time a small tension spring fell out. Its a bitch to put back. If you need to do anything that involves remove it. On the side piece (On the right), remove the bottom screw but back out the middle one. Then angle the bracket 45 degrees so you can get to the two main screws that connect that piece to the mount bracket that the stepper is mounted too. That way it comes off as one part. If you back the middle one too far the spring will back out of its 'channel'. If that happens- Take a deep breath and think happy thoughts. It was tough to get it on the tension arm and the spring back in there 'channels' at the same time.

I have tried the press with Repiter Host and while it tries to print. It print's about 5mm above the print bed. I tried running the offset utility in Soliprint and setting it in the e-prom. But nothing.
I updated the e-prom and then homed the Z I didn't observe a change. I tried but 5 and -5.

Rostock Max, Da Vinci 1.0 XYZ 0.92 Firmware, Solidoodle Press

What temperatures are you using in Octoprint? Solidoodle says that a reported 270 C is actually 250, and Soliprint is using a reported 250 C to print ABS.