Re: SD Press - Under the Kimono

Nope you are right. It's a 9NL N-Channel mosfet. Canceled that order. Seems like Digikey does not have it- But Mouser does.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Inf … 59N-L6906/

Sorry bout that. Thanks for making me check.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

202 (edited by soliryan 2015-03-10 21:24:47)

MacGyverX wrote:

So I did the FET 'backflip' and it didn't work. The Printer is working fine (In fact its printing right now). But now I am getting now power out of the PWM header. I ordered a replacement FET from digikey. Well see how that goes.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e … ND/1706541

Did you also rotate it? Sorry, I might have been a little unclear when I explained it. When looking at the board with the fan headers at the top - the top left pad is drain, top right is gate, and bottom is source. I attached a picture showing how I soldered mine (and made a mess of the board).

Post's attachments

pwmfet.jpg
pwmfet.jpg 410.84 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-03-10 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Former Solidoodle employee

No pic was attached.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Ah, sorry. Added now.

Former Solidoodle employee

205 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-10 21:27:40)

Oh wow. No thats is not what I did. I just flipped it upside down.

Damn. That's one hell of a eff' up.

206 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-11 21:29:27)

In the process of making a couple breakout boards to direct connect to one of the JST headers to control two fans. One as a filament cooler (gcode controlled) and the other will be for the PEEK cooler (FW Controlled). The second breakout board will be to add another stepper for a second extruder (most likely bowden). This would be good for something like the E3D Cyclops.

Once done in eagle, I'll mill out a prototype and populate the passives. The headers and the drivers should be here on Friday.

As usual, I'll take pictures and video once I get everything working.

Oh and Dream-Cypher, I made another fan mount that will hold the 50x15 under the X/Y gantry. I'll print it in a few and test the fit.

Man, It's really, really tight around the hotend.

Digikey has this Delta Electronics BFB0512HHA-C which is a 50x50x10 blower if that helps.
Open outlet, no nozzle, so maybe face the outlet forward, print a nozzle that splits the air sideways over the heatsink and down over the extruder?
The stock 10mm fan sticks out ~13mm counting the bolts and washers, so a 12 mm blower with countersunk bolts could work too.

MacGyverX wrote:

Oh and Dream-Cypher, I made another fan mount that will hold the 50x15 under the X/Y gantry. I'll print it in a few and test the fit.

Man, It's really, really tight around the hotend.

Thanks!   Yeah... there's not a lot of extra room anywhere in this machine.

Made changes to the mosfet breakout board to direct connect to the JST header and the 12V fan header on the board. Thinking about adding a jumper/dip switch so folks can either choose 12 or 5V for fan power.

As for the stepper driver breakout board, I changed the jumpers out to dip switches. Although, most folks would probably set it to 1/16 and never change it. But options are good. And also added a fan header on it for a small 30mm fan. Also optional.

Time to mill out ver. 0.2 of the boards and test fit them.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ5815EA7D.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ6E55A8EE.jpg

What mill do you have?

212 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-13 13:35:31)

Two heavily modified shapeoko v2s. "Longoko's" gantry size is 1800x1000mm. NEMA 23's (425oz-in) all the way around. Equipped with a 4th axis. Runs TinyG2 with 5 external ST-M5045 drivers. DWP611 spindle and the ER20 collet kit. Then I have a smaller unit "Minioko". It's 500x325mm same spindle / collet kit / steppers / Drivers. But runs GRBL. The smaller unit is made rigid for metal work, the large unit is meant for large sheets of wood & plastics (It's reinforced, but there is some deflection do to the gantry length)

213 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-15 22:20:00)

It's not pretty. But it works. (Well not that exact board)

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ13706E42.jpg

As for the FET breakout, I should be getting the remaining parts tomorrow.

Combined the mosfet breakout with the external stepper driver.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ5737E2DC.jpg

Dream-Cypher, What 'spare' fans do you have (and there sizes)?

I can't really fit anything thats functional below the gantry. I got something that fits, but intake is so thin that it staves the fan. I have this wacky (and ridiculous looking) design where it hangs in front of the hotend on a 30 degree angle and the 'pipe' does a 90 to blow downwards. It attaches to the two screws in the front, but it wobbles around on fast movements. I've got a couple good ones that mounts to the E3D. But that does not help the folks that are rocking it stock.

I've said this before, but the area around the business end it tight. Very tight. Which makes me wonder- Since there was suppose to be a functional PWM port on the controller, Where was SD going to stick a filament cooler?

216 (edited by jagowilson 2015-03-18 15:44:24)

MacGyverX wrote:

I've said this before, but the area around the business end it tight. Very tight. Which makes me wonder- Since there was suppose to be a functional PWM port on the controller, Where was SD going to stick a filament cooler?

they weren't / aren't wink

I don't know if it helps but I recently ran into the issue of adding a PWM fan to my sd4 with the v6. The v6 offers so little clearance that there aren't many options but this is the solution I came up with. The only downside to this arrangement is a print that significantly warps might bump the shroud. There's about ~3mm of clearance between the print bed and the shroud with this design, but it's been working quite well for PLA. I couldn't make any fan except a 30nm work. A blower would've been ideal to go under the carriage but you mentioned you don't have the clearance.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.25 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Yeah I've been trying 40x20mm, 40x15mm, 30x10mm, 50x15mm blower & and a 40x15mm blower. The issue is that all the sides are flush to a plastic wall. So nothing can stick out to the right. Can mount anything on the left due to the probe. And the bottom of the gantry is 10~12mm above the hotend and behind the printer is another wall. Basically if you take the extruder and move it to all the corners one side of the assembly is about 1.5~2mm clearance to the adjacent wall.

At any rate, I'll figure something out.

MacGyverX wrote:

Dream-Cypher, What 'spare' fans do you have (and there sizes)?

About the only small fans I have are some 40x40x10mm fans like the stock fan, and the 50x50x15mm blower.

I was wondering if something could be done to  somehow mount the fan abouve the extruder, with a duct running down to direct airflow toward the nozzle.  It would require removing the filament tray...  (I've removed the filament holder/tray on my Press... your external spool mount works a million times better.)

Maybe something like this http://www.soliforum.com/topic/10456/fan-shroud-stl/...

Could be modified to blow downward, or split the air flow in two directions. (or be a slightly different shape to let the air blowining into the side of the heatsink exit through the front, while still directing airflow downard to the nozzle?

Yeah I was thinking about that. But I was trying to make something what would work without removing panels (Something that would work with the stock hotend and stock chassis). But that starting to become impossible.

I'll give it another try. If that does not pan out I'll start measuring pass the internal panels and the top and go from there.

Yeah I saw that. That... Looks ridiculous. (No offense to the creator). Trying to make a fairly small part that does not stick out or cover anything important.

222 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-03-19 18:18:23)

Dream-Cypher, What do you think about this? It hangs low enough to do it's job and does not hit anything when it all the way foward. Printing it now. I'll have pics with it mocked up in a few.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ4E68FA29.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ1F47449D.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ43779CB3.jpg

Looks good to me!

It has the right clearances. But I need to make it a bit more 'printable'. I'll make the right adjustments and drop the github link here. I'll also make one that will fit a 40mm fan too (the fan in the pic is a 30mm)

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ070449F8.jpg

That's awesome!  Thanks!