51 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-19 16:54:10)

Re: SD Press - Under the Kimono

I am attempting to pull a backup of the firmware, what are the odds that JP3 is the 'Boot' Jumper? (There is also a JP1).

http://public.mlabs.us/ZZ4DC562A4.jpg

Typically you just press the reset button, but there is none on the board. There is suppose to be a soft button reset. (When you press/hold for 3 sec.) but it shuts the unit off. Shutdown is suppose to be hold for 5 secs. Furthur more as a side note the LED on top is suppose to pulse when it printing which is does not.

Pretty sure that the firmware released is not whats currently installed on the shipped units.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

JP2 looks like it might be the pins for an ISP programmer. Using one of those would be the simplest way to read the existing firmware (unless solidoodle locked it, in which case, you can't read it at all). In any case, if those are ISP pins, one of them is a reset pin, so you ought to be able to use that to do a reset.

53 (edited by thatdecade 2015-01-19 18:01:51)

Hoping it is not locked... here is the isp wiring diagram for JP2 and JP4.  Best way to pull the firmware would be an avr programmer.
http://i.imgur.com/16i45im.png

54 (edited by Bartimaeus 2015-01-19 18:58:51)

MacGyverX wrote:

I'd like to see what the ATTINY2313 what running (more specifically does it do?)

I would also like to know what that is doing, my first thought when I saw it was that it was possibly reading the g-code from the computer and acting as the input buttons (the Marlin_main.cpp file calls the function read_pressFirmware() in the main loop (defined on line 613). The function basically checks for button presses for the following pins: PRESS_HOMEXY, PRESS_CANCEL_PRINT and PRESS_PAUSE_PRINT. If this code is used as it is shown on the Press, the AT90USB1286 would be looking for these inputs on pins that have no buttons. The thing I don't like about this theory is that it seems like the AT90USB1286 would be more than capable of handling the g-code itself, and adding a second microcontroller just so you don't have to change the code to get inputs from somewhere besides buttons is major overkill.

Some stuff about programming the Firmware:
Don't think this is useful for the Press, but here's Solidoodle's page on firmware loading: http://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/ … 0-Firmware

By luck I came across this page about programming an ATTINY2313 using an Arduino Uno. It's possible (though unlikely) that they've set something like this up for programming the ATTINY2313 from the AT90USB1286.
http://www.ernstc.dk/arduino/2313.htm

MacGyverX wrote:

It maybe, But that page is talking about the SD2/3/4.
I briefly looked that the firmware files, It looks to be an older version and not what's loaded on the shipped Press'.

***Disclaimer: I misread MacGyverX's quote and thought that he said the firmware was old and not used for the Press. The following is documenting things in the code I found to show how it is for the Press. I'm posting it for reference sake and because I hate to delete it.***

In the .zip file they have for the Press is an Arduino project file called SolidoodlePress_11262014.ino. It contains all of the .cpp and .h files in the zip, though the SD card and LCD stuff isn't enabled.

In the Configuration.h file (line 85) there is a #define for MOTHERBOARD, which is the value 81. Above this is a commented list for the different values available for this #define. 81 is this comment (line 69 in code):
// 81 = Printrboard (AT90USB1286)

Then just below this on line 89 is the following #define:

// Define this to set a custom name for your generic Mendel,
#define CUSTOM_MENDEL_NAME "Solidoodle_Press"

It would appear that this is the firmware used on the Press at some point.

55 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-19 19:57:12)

Yeah, I am aware of using a USBTinyISP. Was trying to see if I could do it without flipping the unit over and pull out the board.

Which is looking like is what I am going to have to do. I have a couple ATTINY2313/4313 that I can reflash with the pulled hex and probe it to see what its doing. The kicker is I don't know which ICSP header is going to which MCU. So trial and error it is.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

56 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-19 21:18:43)

Here are the factory hex files for both MCU's

http://public.mlabs.us/Press/firmware/F … SB1286.hex < AT90USB1286.hex
http://public.mlabs.us/Press/firmware/F … NY2313.hex < ATTINY2313.hex

The right header is for the ATTINY2313 (Pin 1 is right) the left header is for the AT90USB1286 (Pin 1 is left). The ATTINY2313 can be pulled directly (no jumpers) but the AT90USB1286 needs a jumper in JP1 in order for you to pull the firmware.

57 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-19 21:59:28)

As for the PWM & Open fan header. In the stock firmware (What's currently loaded now on the Press) both are active but set to on. M106 S255 / S0 does nothing to either ports. I am hopeful that this can be changed in the FW. Now that I have a backup. I am going to experiment.

MacGyverX wrote:

There are four M3 screws under the glass. I've had to adjust mine cause bed was sagging at the front of the bed.

How did you remove the glass to adjust the screws?  My bed's glass is firmly in place and it looks like the metal clamps holding it have been crimped with pliers.  https://i.imgur.com/8KZ1lSA.jpg

MacGyverX wrote:

Okay so the knocking sound I've been getting is coming from the extruder stepper. Turns out the grub screw on the hobbed gear was less than finger tight. The stepper shaft is a "D" type. The thumping sound is the sharp side of the shaft rubbing against the grub screw.

Was your hobbed gear spinning on the stepper shaft? I've got knocking in the extruder but no extrusion problems.

59 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-13 05:58:09)

The glass slides out.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ40B9A48E.jpg

60 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-20 16:50:12)

Here's my start/ending gcode for Slic3r.

Start :
G28 ; home all axis
G1 Z-5.0 F5000 ; Move platform down 5mm
M565 Z-1
G29 ; Bed Check - Z-Offset

End:
G28 X0 Y0  ; home X axis and y axis
G90
G91
M104 S0 ; kill extruder temperature
M140 S0 ; kill bed temperature
M84 ; disable motors

This way jobs sent to OctoPrint will Home all Axis and check the Z-offset right before the print.

Works really well.

MacGyverX wrote:

The glass slides out.

http://public.mlabs.us/ZZ40B9A48E.jpg

I thought it looked like it should slide out, but so far I haven't been able to budge it!  Then again, I haven't been pulling very hard, for fear of breaking something.  How difficult was yours to move?

skyefire wrote:
MacGyverX wrote:

The glass slides out.

I thought it looked like it should slide out, but so far I haven't been able to budge it!  Then again, I haven't been pulling very hard, for fear of breaking something.  How difficult was yours to move?

Mine was easy to remove when cool.  Once things are heated up, it is not so easy, due to the metal pieces expanding, I imagine.

After a long print today I noticed two things. Movement on Z makes this low humming noise (Like something is rubbing) and the bed bounces. This is a new behavior.

MacGyverX wrote:

After a long print today I noticed two things. Movement on Z makes this low humming noise (Like something is rubbing) and the bed bounces. This is a new behavior.

I had a print going last night and noticed bouncing when it was lowering the bed after printing.

65 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-13 05:58:38)

Button Assembly (at the top of the unit)

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ285D964D.jpg

MacGyverX wrote:

On my unit, movement on the Z results in lots of vibration.  I was poking around trying to figure out how to level the bed and felt the Z rails, they're completely ungreased.  I'm going to lube them up and see if that improves the situation.

skyefire wrote:
MacGyverX wrote:

The glass slides out.

After MacGyverX's post, I went back and tried mine with everything stone cold.  After some work I was able to get it free, it looked like whatever they originally used to coat the glass to keep the test print from delaminating had soaked under the clips and dried basically gluing it in place.

68 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-21 16:31:01)

After days of tweaking and reseting to factory and trying again. I am still having issues with the extruder stopping after 10~15mins.
It would start okay (proper adhesion to the bed. Proper filament width on the bed) then mid way It would just grind the filament to a fine dust.

Things I have one.

Reset the controller to stock (M502) then save the defaults (M500) Just for shits and giggles restart the unit (power cycle it via the main power button) re-run the z-offset/bed leveling tool. Pick the offset. Then run a job with G29 in the start code. It goes thru all the motions, but once again couple layers in- Its snowing filament in the enclosure. I've upped the temp to as high as 270C no dice. I've used a small sample from every filament I have in-house (18 different color spools all ABS) same deal.

I've taken apart the extruder assembly you can't adjust the tension (it's fixed) I've cleaned the hobbed gear (100s of times) I've pre-feed some filament with z 100mm away to get a 'running start' with the filament. I've done everything I can on the software side.

I've think I've done everything I can to try to fix this. Any suggestions?

I have not read back through all posts here so maybe this was discussed already.
This sounds like what others have described in other threads. I had the same issue. For me at least the problem was temperature. It seems to slowly build at the hot end until too much of the tip of the filament is soft and then it can't be driven through.
Currently I am using a black filament and Repetier-Host V 1.0.6. I set the first layer at 240 and the remaining at 235. This is working so far for prints exceeding 15 minutes.

In my case temp seems irrelevant. This is a bit frustrating. It's behaving as if there was a clog. At first I was thinking maybe the bed was too close. Going thru the motions to correct didn't fix it. I am down to this last issue (As far as I know, Who knows what else will pop up after this get fixed.)

MacGyverX wrote:

In my case temp seems irrelevant. This is a bit frustrating. It's behaving as if there was a clog. At first I was thinking maybe the bed was too close. Going thru the motions to correct didn't fix it. I am down to this last issue (As far as I know, Who knows what else will pop up after this get fixed.)

I am beginning to think there is a thermistor/temp reading issue with the press.  There's a lot of stripping of the filament and guys stating it is difficult to even push filament through by hand.  Is there a good way for you to verify the actual temps at the nozzle?  Maybe a different thermistor as a temp taped in a different location or something?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

72 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-21 17:42:55)

Pushing it in by hand works. Comes out as fast as I can push it in. (Hey-Oh!)

73 (edited by workwesty 2015-01-21 18:13:33)

Had that issue too but,  I noticed the screw that holds the thing that grinds the filament was loose so I realigned it and tighted it and it is working now.

MacGyverX - if it isn't too much trouble, could you separate the extruder from the carriage, and take some photos/dimensions of the mounting holes on the carriage? I'd like to help design a mount for it.

75 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-21 18:55:14)

elmoret : Did that a couple days ago - See above. When I get everything fix, I'll CAD it out.

Edit - Misread. Yeah I'll do that in a couple mins. Fighting a SAN at work at the moment.