Topic: Is it just me

The following two photos show everything I've printed in a week with my solidoodle press. You can see I have completed only two print jobs straight through. I see everyone has various issues  but I am curious of theses issues what is everyone's print failure rate like.  Mine seems to print great right until that pesky jam kills it almost every time.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.67 mb, 1 downloads since 2015-01-25 

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.22 mb, 1 downloads since 2015-01-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Is it just me

Time for an E3D!

I have a couple i baught from you lol.  Its the extrusion mechanism thats jamming  The hot end is good.

Jamming how? That doesn't really make sense?

EDIT: just saw your other post, that's not jamming, it's "buckling". Jams and clogs occur in the hotend. Buckling occurs in the extruder.

E3D solves that by running PTFE all the way to the hobbed hub. I will say that if it is buckling with that short of an unconstrained distance, likely the hotend is crap and not allowing easy flow.

elmoret wrote:

Time for an E3D!

Wait.. we cant replace the hotend with an e3D, can we?  I have a pair of pico's sitting on my desk.. if the hotend can be swapped, it may be worthwhile, but I figure the zprobe would need adjusting?  Probably more trouble than it is worth?

Upgrading to a high quality hot end is always worth the effort.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

In this case if i wanted to put my own extruder on a printer i would have built another one.  This one should have come with a working system.

mobius1ace5 wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Time for an E3D!

Wait.. we cant replace the hotend with an e3D, can we?  I have a pair of pico's sitting on my desk.. if the hotend can be swapped, it may be worthwhile, but I figure the zprobe would need adjusting?  Probably more trouble than it is worth?

Why couldn't you?

elmoret wrote:
mobius1ace5 wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Time for an E3D!

Why couldn't you?

Why couldn't I?  Time requirements likely lol.  Why couldn't someone else?  Not sure?  Maybe a very kind E3D distributor/reseller would want to try this on his Press?  If he has a Press? ;D

But seriously, I figure all that would be needed is an extension on the zprobe and of course just a standard change of hotends.  Shouldn't be too difficult, at least in theory.

Well you implied that you thought it wasn't possible, so I was pointing out that it was.

I would lift the L-bracket rather than lower the probe, but otherwise yes.

I'd make a mount if I had a press, but I do not. If someone wanted to send me one, I'd make a mount.

elmoret wrote:

Well you implied that you thought it wasn't possible, so I was pointing out that it was.

I'd make a mount if I had a press, but I do not. If someone wanted to send me one, I'd make a mount.

Yea, initially I did not think it was possible, but my experience with FDM is an old school TOM, a bit on a Taz4 and mostly on the Press. 

You are overdue for a trip to Tampa, come down and see me and we can tinker with mine ha ha! I am surprised honestly that you did not grab one, figured you would want to mess with it.  Other than the few quirks, I am fairly happy with it, especially at 400

elmoret wrote:

That canceled press order is getting expensive.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

When I cancelled, I figured Solidoodle would have solved the hotend situation by now. I may have given them too much credit. If folks want a E3D on the press, the community is certainly capable of making such a mount (Lawsy et al).

If there's no demand for it, the community won't bother. It kinda works out well in terms of gauging the market.

elmoret wrote:

When I cancelled, I figured Solidoodle would have solved the hotend situation by now. I may have given them too much credit. If folks want a E3D on the press, the community is certainly capable of making such a mount (Lawsy et al).

If there's no demand for it, the community won't bother. It kinda works out well in terms of gauging the market.

I would argue you have to create the demand (certainly with the Press). If I build an E3D mount for the Press and then raved about how awesome it is and how it solved all my problems (which it should) I'm sure people would download the file like crazy and go buy a brand new E3D. 

Don't believe it...look at the original thread: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2584/got … nted-pics/

If Adrian didn't mount the first E3D on a Solidoodle would we even know what an E3D is today on this forum? I was second to mount one on a SD and the only reason I found out about it was because I was pushing the limit on materials and burning through J-heads left and right. I was specifically looking for an all metal solution and E3D came up in a search.

Once everyone knew it worked easily with Lawsy's mount we had a winner.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Its a bit different when the guy raving about the product isn't the one selling it. wink

elmoret wrote:

Its a bit different when the guy selling the products is the one raving about it. wink

/r/hailcorporate  ... wait, wrong site...

I would trust your opinion other standard users though as you can be considered an expert on the E3D line whereas a standard user may have just gotten lucky.  That is likely attributed to my experience in the professional side of the industry though.. Not entirely sure how your standard user would react to you making the mod, but I know I would surely pay attention..

17 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-26 18:56:45)

E3d is pretty much the best upgrade I've done to my machine. Even more crucial than bearings. It made a world of difference. A lot of folks fight it at first (I did buy a replacement stock hotend...) but once you put it on there you don't even recognize your machine anymore. For the first time, you witness what it's like for your extruder and hotend to precisely obey the GCode. It's nothing short of beautiful in my mind.

Prior to having a good hotend, I don't think it's a stretch to say you have no idea what a good print REALLY looks like. Just my opinion. 80 dollars is a cheap upgrade for this hobby. I've spent far more on bearings, fasteners, tools and other parts, and I'd still say the e3d made the biggest difference despite being the cheapest possible upgrade.

The next most important factor is using high quality filament... wink

If anyone wants to send me there Press I would be happy to design an E3d mount for it.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

zburhop, I think it is time to email tech support and request a new mechanism.  You have taken apart their machines as much as anyone and done a lot to support them in the community.  The marketing people, I'm sure, would like to keep your good will and the product development people should always like to know what problems customers face in the field (and how to solve them).

Sounds like a win-win to me.

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

Have ypu tried printing with the lid up? This seems to make a difference with ABS for me on long prints.  It's not a long term solution though.

+1 on the notion that I shouldn't have to mod this printer to use it.

Maybe MacGyverX's E3D progress could be split into a separate thread? It would make it clearer for people who don't know that he is even doing such amazing work!

Done.

the statement of using 'high quality filament' needs some clarification for new 3D printer users. that sounds like 'use expensive filament. but cheap filament works as good and better than some costing many times more. just dont use poor quality made with poor quality control standards and shipped unsealed with no moisture prevention measures. try buying brands others have tested and size, color, moisture etc dont cause problems in printer when used. I have had similar results with filament costing less than half the "normal" rate of $40-$60 per spool. some as low as $14 per spool. so why pay makerbot etc $65-$140 for a spool just due to their custom spools or big name. if you plan to sell prints on like 3Dhubs your prices will not be competitive at all. even Solidoodles filament costs over 2x what its worth. my roll from them have dirt specks in it in several spots. but not found any in the cheap rolls yet.

I also find ABS to be better flow and less friction un-spooling than PLA. making ABS my prefered choice even if more fumes to deal with venting. also less chance of clogging/ruining the cheap Solidoodle hot ends. so recomended till upgrade to E3Dv6 at least just for that reason not counting other needs many new low cost printers dont have that PLA requirs. maybe Sam should read these topics.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

so is their a fix for this?? ive only done 1 successful print, the rest have just stop half way... the extruder  just stops extruding for some reason