26 (edited by mdrVB6 2015-01-16 18:41:17)

Re: SD Press - Under the Kimono

I don't have a press and probably won't get one but I'd be interested in how well the hot end heat sink that is built around the extruder motor works.  It seems like a pretty good idea that saves space vs. an E3D or J-head.  It also looks like it would be easy to swap in another heater block/ nozzle assembly if you had the same hexagon pattern heat break (not sure on that term, but thats at least what E3D calls that piece).

Is the tension arm adjustable or is it a set spring that cannot be adjusted?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

212C When it was printing.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Surely you don't mean that the heat sink gets to 212 C when printing at 245ish, right?

Is there an air gap between the heat sink and the extruder motor?  With the fan on it, I would be surprised and worried if the heat sink is getting to 212 C at any point.

Also, what temp are you printing ABS at?  The stock SD2 prints ABS at like 210-215 IIRC but most manufacturers publish a temp of about 245.  The difference was due to the thermistor placement.  Does the press also have this characteristic?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

? I was answering Fredjikrang question. I was printing via OctoPrint ABS @ 212C.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Wow! I'm surprised that it was printing at all with a temperature that low! Maybe try a temp. more in line with what SoliPrint uses?

31 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-16 23:21:00)

Well I figure while waiting for support to get back to me about the extruder issue. I figured I'd poke around.

As I said above the Press has a MicroSD slot. When I insert a card in the console I get Recv: SDP100
M21 does nothing.

Then I issued a M501 and got this:

Send: M501
Recv: echo:Stored settings retrieved
Recv: echo:Steps per unit:
Recv: echo:  M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z400.00 E138.00
Recv: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
Recv: echo:  M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z5.00 E25.00
Recv: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
Recv: echo:  M201 X1200 Y1200 Z100 E10000
Recv: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
Recv: echo:  M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
Recv: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
Recv: echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
Recv: echo:Home offset (mm):
Recv: echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
Recv: echo:PID settings:
Recv: echo:   M301 P13.00 I0.70 D62.00

MacGyverX wrote:

Speaking of taking the extruder apart. I guess I lucked out when I took it off the first time. But the second time a small tension spring fell out. Its a bitch to put back. If you need to do anything that involves remove it. On the side piece (On the right), remove the bottom screw but back out the middle one. Then angle the bracket 45 degrees so you can get to the two main screws that connect that piece to the mount bracket that the stepper is mounted too. That way it comes off as one part. If you back the middle one too far the spring will back out of its 'channel'. If that happens- Take a deep breath and think happy thoughts. It was tough to get it on the tension arm and the spring back in there 'channels' at the same time.

That tension spring just about drive me crazy! you have my sympathy, but at the same time, i'm glad i'm not the only one! smile

I have been looking for a thread like this! I know these are relatively "minor" issues for a sub $600 printer, but for someone new to 3D printing it takes quite some time to figure it out. I started with the Y axis crash, then the hot end crash, then the Z bed making a terrible sound and having a hard time raising and lowering. Combine that with the Soliprint software working 50 percent of the time, the manual calibration being hit and miss, and having no instructions for how to perform the z offset calibration... plug and play!?

Anyway, I have two questions I hope you can answer:

1. The cable shroud keeps getting caught up when I home to Y. I printed out a clip to hold the shroud hire up near the top cover and so far it is working. A.) Is that a long term solution or am I going to run into issues B.) What would you recommend be done that would be a better solution
2. Solidoodle says you can print PLA, but there is no cooling fan. I saw you wrote that you can print PLA, but you seemed to be imply you would have to add the fan yourself using the controller? I'm lost.

Thanks in advance and you are going to be a hero for many of us new Press owners!

I only read about 8 posts in before my reply, so I apologize if this has been stated since then.

The whole Z probe thing is standard Marlin auto-leveling code. Everything you said is exactly the way the Marlin auto-probe works. It is hard coded to the Z homing by G28 (it replaces the standard homing) and when you set z-probe in your firmware, there is no Gcode thing to switch back. Your stuck with it. Well, there may be something that can be done on the G commands as a work around, but the intention of z-probing was meant as an all-or-nothing thing.

Adrian or someone else who has been deep inside the Marlin autoleveling can correct me here, but it sounds exactly like what I remember when I was testing out auto-level on my SD3 (I removed it because you HAVE to eliminate z backlash for it to work correctly and I keep my bed level anyway).

At the very least, I would download the latest Marlin and read through the autolevel section to confirm this.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Firmware Banner for the Press

Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/ PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Solidoodle_Press EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

MacGyverX wrote:

Okay so the knocking sound I've been getting is coming from the extruder stepper. Turns out the grub screw on the hobbed gear was less than finger tight. The stepper shaft is a "D" type. The thumping sound is the sharp side of the shaft rubbing against the grub screw.

In order to get to that, You have to take off everything around the extruder. Huh. Totally didn't expect that. On that note- The extruder is nice. It is all metal. The two main parts come off with thumb screws- The rest are M3's. Wasn't that bad to take apart.

I had the same issue. I found you can remove the fan on the right side. One of the cooling slots lines up with the center of the shaft. It is just barely big enough to fit a 1.5mm wrench in (diameter) but I was able to use it. If this happens again I will be doing something to slightly widen the opening.

MacGyverX wrote:

I am not using any of the SD branded software. So far I've only used Octoprint. Later I'll connect it to stock RH.

As for the grub screw > http://public.mlabs.us/ZZ1142642C.jpg . Figured that out this morning. Wish I'd know that when I took it apart 3 times ago.

Yeah I figured that out.

Ah, I missed that post, but I'm glad you reposted. I actually went from the right after removing the fan. This is much better.

39 (edited by Bartimaeus 2015-01-18 05:23:28)

MacGyverX wrote:

Firmware Banner for the Press

Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/ PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Solidoodle_Press EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

You can get the firmware and board files from the Solidoodle website:

https://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us … rd%20Files

They've posted the firmware but the board files are still for the Printrboard Rev E. But thats a start.

MacGyverX wrote:

They've posted the firmware but the board files are still for the Printrboard Rev E. But thats a start.

I found this page that is listed in the Press manual (page 12):
http://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/ … 0-Firmware

which claims that the board is based on the printrboard.

If this is not the current board then someone should contact Solidoodle and ask them to load the source files, as the manual says they are under the creative commons sharealike license and they would be required to post it.

42 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-01-19 17:15:15)

It maybe, But that page is talking about the SD2/3/4.

Under the Solidoodle logo on the board is has '2014 SD5 REV CA' (Interesting SD5...)

I was hoping that they did release the board files. There is one 3 pin and four 5 pin unpopulated JST headers on the board. And also two ICSP headers JP2 & JP4 (I'd assume one is for the AT90USB1286 and the other for the ATTINY2313). I'd like to know which is to which.

I briefly looked that the firmware files, It looks to be an older version and not what's loaded on the shipped Press'. I'd like to see what the ATTINY2313 what running (more specifically does it do?)

can anyone tell if the fan pins on the board are able to be turned off and on via gcode or are we stuck with always on?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

As of now, Always on. I've tried a couple of the common gcode commands to shut the fans down. None of them worked. Another reason why having the board/schematic of the Press controller would be helpful.

know if anyone has released a fan nozzle?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

46 (edited by MacGyverX 2015-02-13 05:57:32)

Here are some images of the extruder assembly.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ18EE7C98.jpg
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ4A97DBB9.jpg
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ2CE2A4ED.jpg
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ2C9C9C5B.jpg
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ397D00BE.jpg
http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ34439B00.jpg

I'll work on making a CAD drawing with the exact dimensions.

IanJohnson wrote:

It's a pity that they didn't take the opportunity of a controller board redesign to upgrade the extruder driver.   A couple of other users' sample prints still showed the typical Solidoodle moire.

I can confirm moire on my Press prints so far.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

DePartedPrinter wrote:

... moire ...

What is this??

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014

Codum wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

... moire ...

What is this??

What is moire???
It is the wavy pattern you see in sidewall of your prints.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Codum wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

... moire ...

What is this??

there are some good pictures that show this effect here: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4759/new … -problems/

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/