Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

im kinda pushing my expectations to the slight chance i get my printer by march

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

Wow, I'm behind the times.  SD's are now being built in China for them?  That's sad, if so.  And pretty much guarantees that there's a parallel production line (possibly even in the same building) up and running and ripping them off by selling clones, while theirs sees unexpected 'delays'.  Seen it too many times with other products to doubt.  (Simple example - the "Pressy" Android button Kickstarter.)

Makes me glad I didn't pull the trigger on a WB, although my SDv2 has been a fun introduction into this whole world so I kinda have a warm feeling toward SD as a company.  Guess manufacturing in NY just got too expensive?

(And FWIW, no this isn't a "buy American" type post...I have a Fabtotum from Italy on pre-order.  More a matter of just recognizing that their ain't no such thing as IP once a certain country's manufacturing gets involved....)

My understanding is that just the SD Press is made in china The WB and WB Apprentice are still made in NY

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

N2ri i almost posted the same thing! Was going to say i wonder what the next delay will be? The ship sunk?

this is turning into a massive joke

From the pictures and info. SD provided, seem that there is only PRESS is assembled in China,
Because you couldn't find cheaper injection parts in U.S., but still designed by US, and WB and WBA, designed and built in Brooklyn, NY.

Well, good to know they didn't give away the whole farm then....

607 (edited by n2ri 2014-12-24 17:59:09)

rtrski wrote:

Well, good to know they didn't give away the whole farm then....

+1 LOL yet.

OH and Merry Christmas! albeit no Press or SDs under the trees

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I biked down to the beach today, and from there, I could see the port. I think I saw the freighter with the SD press's on it wink

Ulitmaker 2, a few repraps, Custom Big FFF 3D printer with heated chamber.

My Blog http://ggalisky.weebly.com/
My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXShYo … aDUpebDAOw

609 (edited by redbarret 2014-12-27 19:26:44)

desertstriker2008 wrote:

Was going to say i wonder what the next delay will be? The ship sunk?

this is turning into a massive joke

+1 and lol.

I personally chose my first printer to be a Solidoodle 4 because I just didn't know better, didn't have much cash, didn't have the knowledge to build a kit so needed assembled and the reviews I read were probably by people who didn't know much about 3d printing themselves.

The time I needed to spend fixing this thing and things I needed to learn I could just buy a kit (like Prusa) at same or cheaper price and build it or buy Flashforge/PlasticScribbler.

Can anyone tell me why they are still buying Solidoodles if they have bought one already and know what to expect and know there are better alternatives?

"Press" just seems to be an attempt to make a out-of-the-box ("plug-and-play") 3d printer (like Solidoodle 4 was meant to be, or at least meant to look like), and also an attempt to sell more of their filament.
I highly doubt it will be an out-of-the-box experience, knowing Solidoodle.

"Workbench Apprentice" seems to be a Solidoodle 4 minus the nice enclosure and with a smaller bed size (so dual extruder won't hit the walls) plus a second hotend.
Is there a point in spending +200 more than just buying a SD4 + a better quality dual extruder (E3D?) and replacing the SD4 one, probably still saving some money and having a bigger bed and a nice enclosure?

"Workbench" seems to be the same as Apprentice just larger build volume.
At tat price range, aren't there similar 3d printers/3d printer kits already?

Plus buying from a company who has dropped the quality control so much and being so unprofessional as to fail to fix an online shipping calculator for months now making you send them few emails every time you need some part, why?

Solidoodle wrote:

It’s open-frame design will allow you to tinker and work on your printer.

Nice try. The SD4 enclosure takes less than a minute to take off. You're just saving cash.

Solidoodle 4

610 (edited by n2ri 2014-12-27 20:22:02)

I think all 3D printers need inclosure for needs of some filaments and preventing outside contaminants getting in.
best type inclosure though is none SD make. need clear plexi panels with magnetic mounting for fast removal when access is needed fast. plus taller covered spool racks for 2 of any size sold and filament guide to keep it from unraveling, plus charcoal filtered 4" exhaust with flex dryer hose attachment collar.

as for why we stick with SD. this forum is only reason. other brands have near zero community/open parts support.
I think SD should have stayed with SD2/SD3 just done requested mods. but it seems this forum is against Sams religion to participate with.

wonder how long the metal parts of Press printer will survive the sea salt air in that container?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I think the reason is its price and performance, the other expensive desktop 3D printers
Look better, but not much, still cannot make the perfect  plastic 3D prints that people
Expected by desktop 3D printers, so why we should spend 3-4 time money to buy an
Expensive one?
SD still is improving thier products continuelly, SD 4 has a lot of mods that make it is
Better than SD2 or 3, of course it can be improved more, the SD new line, Workbench,
WB Apprentice and Press have a glass with the heating bed, auto calibration probe,
front part fan for PLA and some mods we may don't know, I believe that the some idea of mods Sam didn't take that doesn't mean he doesn't like them, maybe he has some business concern,
or will take later.

I think people stick with SD cause its "the Devil you know" in a weird sort of way, plus you know you can find help here.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

613 (edited by redbarret 2014-12-28 18:30:04)

But this isn't a Solidoodle exclusive forum. I see people posting help for other printers and get the info they need.
Most issues related to software are not SD exclusive, because the software is not SD exclusive. Same for extruder, motor, belt/pulley, heated bed, rod, motherboard (because Sanguinololu and Printrboard are not only used in SDs) and firmware issues, replacements and upgrades.
So even if there weren't other communities for other 3d printers (but there are, I've been in 3d printing google groups and 3dprintboard), I don't understand why that's a good reason.

Maybe I'm missing something?

@AOYOU3D: have you seen PlasticScribbler, Printrbot and Flashforge?
I think you're probably talking about Makerbot and Ultimaker printers which are indeed expensiver.

Solidoodle 4

614 (edited by n2ri 2014-12-28 18:39:40)

OK try this. search this forum for tech help on those other brands you all list as options for buying next 3D printer. then you will understand. also search Thingaverse for those names/models. then search for Solidoodle and see how many things you find

Fair enough.

But hasn't Solidoodle as an affordable printer been around longer than those? That would also explain why there's less mods for them in Thingiverse and less talked about here. And better quality/assembly could also be a reason why less issues are reported for those printers and less custom mods are needed, because they work better out of the box?

Printrboard has its own forum, with 7200+ topics, not that less than here (8000+).
At 3dprintboard Flashforge has its own section with 248 topics. And first post is from February 2014. Not that old.

And again, most of the Solidoodle issues are not exclusive to Solidoodle because the hardware or software is not Solidoodle exclusive.

Better community and better chance of getting help sounds like a good reason to still stick with Solidoodle in the end, but this seems more of a theory than fact to me right now.

Solidoodle 4

redbarret wrote:

Fair enough.

But hasn't Solidoodle as an affordable printer been around longer than those? That would also explain why there's less mods for them in Thingiverse and less talked about here. And better quality/assembly could also be a reason why less issues are reported for those printers and less custom mods are needed, because they work better out of the box?

Printrboard has its own forum, with 7200+ topics, not that less than here (8000+).
At 3dprintboard Flashforge has its own section with 248 topics. And first post is from February 2014. Not that old.

And again, most of the Solidoodle issues are not exclusive to Solidoodle because the hardware or software is not Solidoodle exclusive.

Better community and better chance of getting help sounds like a good reason to still stick with Solidoodle in the end, but this seems more of a theory than fact to me right now.

some say same thing about God. I still believe though ;^)

I biked down to the beach today, and from there, I could see the port. I think I saw the freighter with the SD press's on it

A very real possibility. According to Sam he is waiting for his ship to come in, it is sitting waiting for its turn to get unloaded. Then the container gets loaded on a truck and off to NYC.
I can only imagine the journey this has been both for SD and the hundreds of waiting customers.

IMHO Sam is attempting to stay current with product. He is trying to deliver a reliable product at an excellent value. So the customers wait and see what the new product brings.
tn

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

A lot of people have been complaining about their noob mistakes with this, and its true they are noobs.  It's only been 3 years and a couple weeks since they shipped the first printers built in Sam's kitchen.  He used to be COO at Makerbot, but that was when MB was at a stage similar to where Solidoodle is now.   Injection molding and overseas manufacturing is new to all of them.  If they got 10 million in VC funding, the investors would have given them a Jenny Lawton with the needed experience, processes, and deadly corporate politics but since they funded their tooling with pre-orders, I suspect that hasn't happened. 

I know that from the outside they are supposed to be able to appear and perform the same as any established fortune 500 company, but the reality is that they are a bunch of people taking a big step forward without having the experience needed to foresee everything that can go wrong the first time.   It sucks to wait that long for a new printer, but once you have it stops mattering so much.  I doubt any of the people who waited 20 weeks for their SD2 is especially bothered by it anymore.

With the Press they have had a chance to start over from the ground up so maybe they have fixed some problems, but there is plenty of opportunity to create others.  Given the more difficult manufacturing process and last minute changes, I suspect these haven't been tested as much as they should be.  The molded plastic may make them harder to mod to fix problems as well.  Hopefully these will turn out to be decent printers and not their own version of Makerbot's Gen 5 fiasco.

IanJohnson wrote:

A lot of people have been complaining about their noob mistakes with this, and its true they are noobs.  It's only been 3 years and a couple weeks since they shipped the first printers built in Sam's kitchen.  He used to be COO at Makerbot, but that was when MB was at a stage similar to where Solidoodle is now.   Injection molding and overseas manufacturing is new to all of them.  If they got 10 million in VC funding, the investors would have given them a Jenny Lawton with the needed experience, processes, and deadly corporate politics but since they funded their tooling with pre-orders, I suspect that hasn't happened. 

I know that from the outside they are supposed to be able to appear and perform the same as any established fortune 500 company, but the reality is that they are a bunch of people taking a big step forward without having the experience needed to foresee everything that can go wrong the first time.   It sucks to wait that long for a new printer, but once you have it stops mattering so much.  I doubt any of the people who waited 20 weeks for their SD2 is especially bothered by it anymore.

With the Press they have had a chance to start over from the ground up so maybe they have fixed some problems, but there is plenty of opportunity to create others.  Given the more difficult manufacturing process and last minute changes, I suspect these haven't been tested as much as they should be.  The molded plastic may make them harder to mod to fix problems as well.  Hopefully these will turn out to be decent printers and not their own version of Makerbot's Gen 5 fiasco.

+1

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

A very real possibility. According to Sam he is waiting for his ship to come in, it is sitting waiting for its turn to get unloaded. Then the container gets loaded on a truck and off to NYC.
I can only imagine the journey this has been both for SD and the hundreds of waiting customers.

one of the QA's said that they were going to ship directly from their LA warehouse to cut down on transport time.

Solidoodle Workbench

It looks like the slowdown is continuing. I am sure glad that I didn't order a Press.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

This is beginning to suck. I really don't know if i want to wait much longer for mine even tho they gave me a free spool of press filament to make up for the delays. I just want a printer so i can start printing out my objects!

623 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-12-31 23:26:57)

How is it that some people are getting extra spools with their press orders and others are not? If that's something they are entertaining for a few they should do that for everyone. I should not have to 'threaten' to cancel my order for proper customer service.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

MacGyverX wrote:

I should not have to 'threaten' to cancel my order for proper customer service.

Sadly that is what you have to do. When I canceled my WB, that was an option they offered if I did not cancel.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Does anyone know of the Press will work with something like Octoprint?  There has been some talk about custom boards that have me worried about this, I would like to print wireless from another room, or alternatively an SD card slot.