Topic: Introducing the Solidoodle 3

blog.solidoodle.com
New Solidoodle 3, with 512 cubic inches of build space

We’re excited to announce the new Solidoodle 3 – 3D printer today!
For users wanting more printing capacity, our new product offers an 8” x 8” x 8” build area. It’s priced at $799 and will start shipping in January!

Today we are launching Solidoodle 3. It is an answer to requests for a printer with a larger build area. Feel free to ask any Solidoodle 3 related questions in this thread.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Re: Introducing the Solidoodle 3

i've been waiting for the solidoodle 2 i've had on order since august. Is there anyway i could upgrade to the solidoodle 3 since i realy would like the extended build area and to be honest since i've waited so long....

Manx wrote:

i've been waiting for the solidoodle 2 i've had on order since august. Is there anyway i could upgrade to the solidoodle 3 since i realy would like the extended build area and to be honest since i've waited so long....

We're figuring out a solution for those who want to upgrade. You wont be left behind. We'll note that you've requested the upgrade.

Given that my Solidoodle 2 device is scheduled to be delivered today after waiting almost 22 weeks, I expect an upgrade as well.  Really truly angry here that it took way longer than stated on your website to get my order and now to hear that my device is obsolete the day it's scheduled to be delivered *really* puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Just to be clear, the Solidoodle 2 will be continued as a product.

The current line is:
Solidoodle 2 Basic: $500
Solidoodle 2 Pro: $600
Solidoodle 2 Expert: $700
Solidoodle 3: $800

Solidoodle 2 will not drop off the map the way the Solidoodle 1 did.

What about trade-in options.  I have a fully functioning debugged operational SD2 that I would ship back in the original packaging for a chance to upgrade to the larger size.

cmetzel wrote:

What about trade-in options.  I have a fully functioning debugged operational SD2 that I would ship back in the original packaging for a chance to upgrade to the larger size.

We will take it under consideration. The SD3 has nearly identical electronics to the SD2, so you would be quite familiar with the printer when you got it.

An upgrade kit might be doable.  Frame, rods, x assembly, aluminum plate, Z stepper/rod.  The need for longer wires would be a complication however.

IanJohnson wrote:

An upgrade kit might be doable.  Frame, rods, x assembly, aluminum plate, Z stepper/rod.  The need for longer wires would be a complication however.

This most likely wont be the direction we go for the near future. We'll discuss it though!

10 (edited by RGargus 2012-11-16 17:58:36)

I am really torn on this.  My sd2 expert on order since the 23rd of July has just now been processed.  Presumably this means it will be shipped shortly.  If I wanted to upgrade before it shipped, it would be good to know there was that possibility to do so now, before it ships.  Can you quote some upgrade prices and give those of us an oportunity to upgrade who are still waiting?

RGargus wrote:

I am really torn on this.  My sd2 expert on order since the 23rd of July has just now been processed.  Presumably this means it will be shipped shortly.  If I wanted to upgrade before it shipped, it would be good to know there was that possibility to do so now, before it ships.  Can you quote some upgrade prices and give those of us an oportunity to upgrade who are still waiting?

The upgrade price should be the difference. We are working out the system for upgrades right now.

12 (edited by Diecrusher 2012-11-16 18:39:20)

Bad taste continues and gets even more bitter.........

Chickens haven't even been all hatched yet and delivered in good health to the farmers dieing of old age waiting yet the place is selling the next generation of eggs...... smile

This farmer probably gonna buy his future eggs from a different market and defect unless there is a relatively painless way to upgrade.  Heck I'm still fighting multiple issues with my SD2, sheesh ......

I am sure you folks are busier than a fox in a hen house with this announcement, so let me state that if for $100 I can upgrade to the sd3, albiet it means an additional wait time, just loet me know how and where to send it.  Thanks.

Diecrusher wrote:

Chickens haven't even been all hatched yet and delivered in good health to the farmers dieing of old age waiting yet the place is selling the next generation of eggs...... smile

This farmer probably gonna buy his future eggs from a different market......

On Pe-order. We are simply offering a wider selection of "eggs" so that the we can satisfy a need for high end eggs.

15 (edited by Diecrusher 2012-11-16 18:45:33)

solidoodlesupport wrote:
Diecrusher wrote:

On Pe-order. We are simply offering a wider selection of "eggs" so that the we can satisfy a need for high end eggs.

Only problem is that the current "eggs" have alot of cracks and some are downright broken but I know that you guys are trying to be supportive so that is appreciated....... but still frustating for some of us.

Diecrusher wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:
Diecrusher wrote:

Only problem is that the current "eggs" have alot of cracks and some are downright broken but I know that you guys are trying to be supportive so that is appreciated....... but still frustating for some of us.

No worries. As I've said, the S2 will still be supported and fixes for the bugs will keep coming.

IanJohnson wrote:

Why not just go for 12" x !2" x !2"...to your point, Ian, longer rods / Frame / Z-Screw, Print Bed and Belts.  Could build a VERY precise frame out of extruded Aluminum profiles.  Would look pretty sharp as well.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

rdavidian28 wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

Why not just go for 12" x !2" x !2"...to your point, Ian, longer rods / Frame / Z-Screw, Print Bed and Belts.  Could build a VERY precise frame out of extruded Aluminum profiles.  Would look pretty sharp as well.

If we see enough demand for a giant printer, we'll do it.

just a little dissapointed to see this...
having waited so long like every else, then recieving a broken printer, so knowing i'll be waiting another few weeks to get something functional only to see something better being available.

whilst its great to see the next evolution, and had i waited i would be ordering the 3.
hopefully there are further improvements to the key areas people have been complaining about.

i'd love to see a 12" cube build area one done..
certainly opens up the possibilities.

EFFalcon wrote:

having waited so long like every else, then recieving a broken printer, so knowing i'll be waiting another few weeks to get something functional only to see something better being available.

whilst its great to see the next evolution, and had i waited i would be ordering the 3.
hopefully there are further improvements to the key areas people have been complaining about.

I agree it sucks, but this is the nature of tech.  Think of iPhones, or more appropriately going back to the dawn of personal computing.  Man, I just bought my 486 and now they have a 486DX (DX2, Pentium, etc etc)  This is more analogous to the position we're in.

If you wait to buy something that won't become obsolete, you will never buy anything.

I completely understand that, i'm just frustrated that there appear to some ongoing issues with the 2 that need to be addressed first.

perhaps these revisions are being undertaken at the same time, had i recieved my printer working, i'd likely have nothing but praise for the S3.

I like that they are pushing new product develoments, i'd just like to see existing products polished first.

EFFalcon wrote:

I completely understand that, i'm just frustrated that there appear to some ongoing issues with the 2 that need to be addressed first.

perhaps these revisions are being undertaken at the same time, had i recieved my printer working, i'd likely have nothing but praise for the S3.

I like that they are pushing new product develoments, i'd just like to see existing products polished first.

We are still actively working on Solidoodle 2. The development track for both printers is actually nearly the same, seeing as how the hardware and electronics are nearly identical.

Thats good to hear.

25 (edited by Diecrusher 2012-11-16 20:19:48)

cmetzel wrote:
EFFalcon wrote:

I agree it sucks, but this is the nature of tech.  Think of iPhones, or more appropriately going back to the dawn of personal computing.  Man, I just bought my 486 and now they have a 486DX (DX2, Pentium, etc etc)  This is more analogous to the position we're in.

Difference is that when you bought a 486, it worked as a 486 not a 386sx with a intermittently working 5 1/4" floppy that you would have to rebuild to get operational. 

ending rant now.......