Re: Introducing the Solidoodle 3

dubbsd wrote:

I sent an e-mail to John at 12:00 PM CST and here was his reply

Dale,
We will be sending out instructions for this later today - I hope this helps!

Regards,
John

Has anyone received any instructions regarding this yet?

Ok, we camp here and in the morning I'll send out a singing telegram. If that doesn't work we'll send in the ladies that jump out of cakes and the biplane guy that writes things in the sky. We have to hit these guys with everything we've got.

I NEED THOSE SWEET SWEET EXTRA FEW INCHES!

RGargus wrote:
chuk wrote:
RGargus wrote:

How do we upgrade an existing order?  For lack of any other way, I have sent an email requesting this upgrade.

I asked through the contact form on the solidoodle site. Whoever get's an actual answer please let us know so those of us wanting to upgrade can do so.

I have asked via email, form, facebook, and this forum.  The only comment I have received regarding my questinos so far, is that they will honor the fact that we purchased a sd2 Expert plus $100 for the upgrade, regardless of the price at the time of our original purchase.  Beyond that, I have seen no means of requesting the upgrade on line, so I sent my CC numnber along with the request to upgrade to the sd3.  I have not yet received confirmation on my request, but I suspect they work a small crew a short day on saturdays.  Hopefully, I will get my confirmation monday.  I am sure they have a lot of details to work out yet, but I am trying to get on the list as early as I can.  So far, I have been waiting 17 weeks for the sd2, and it is still in pending status.

chuk wrote:

I NEED THOSE SWEET SWEET EXTRA FEW INCHES!

Too easy...

I wouldn't bother to purchase the 3 based on its size, already having the 2. But I would definitely purchase a 12" model.

I would also be interested in a 12" model. We have quite a few large prints in mind, that will have to be done in multiple parts, but 12" would cover it.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

I would buy a 12 as well

Manx wrote:

Well i called john yesterday. And Spoke with him. He stated tehy did not have an established way of upgrading to the SD3 from the SD2 in the orders. They are working on it and will send out emails to those who are waiting on their units and that it will cost more so send em an email maybe statrt a thread for the upgrades or email them your request BTW i want minea midnight blue just letting them know colors would be nice

For all those who want to upgrade, I have sent this e-mail:
Sir or Madam,
We have received a large number of requests for upgrades. For those wishing to purchase an upgrade, one can be obtained at:
http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?r … duct_id=80

Please understand that your order will be delayed until January if you choose the upgrade option.

The prices are as follows:
Upgrade from Solidoodle 2 Basic $300
Upgrade from Solidoodle 2 Pro $200
Upgrade from Solidoodle 2 Expert $100

I hope this helps.

Basically all you must do is buy a little upgrade item in the store.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

58 (edited by RGargus 2012-11-18 22:51:51)

DONE!  Thanks!
I went from order number 2963 to order number 5840, but that extra 2 inches can make a world of difference in my future plans.

RGargus wrote:

DONE!  Thanks!
I went from order number 2963 to order number 5840, but that extra 2 inches can make a world of difference in my future plans.

its not the size that matter but how you use it

ateast thats what the girls in enginering say

Thanks so much for the quick to response. Did my upgrade tonight.

You guys should update the official FAQ (sorry, wont allow me to post link) question:

"Does Solidoodle offer any larger models? 6x6x6 just isn’t enough. Can you build a larger model as a custom order?"

At first I was a little  "Waaahh?  sad"  when I saw the SD3 offering..
I'd pay for the upgrade, but nah, this is my x-mas present to myself..
I thank all those forfeiting their slots and helping make Santa fly a little faster smile
(as long as he doesn't DROP it down the chimney)

bahstrike wrote:

At first I was a little  "Waaahh?  sad"  when I saw the SD3 offering..
I'd pay for the upgrade, but nah, this is my x-mas present to myself..
I thank all those forfeiting their slots and helping make Santa fly a little faster smile
(as long as he doesn't DROP it down the chimney)

You are welcome. smile  Merry Christmas to you.  My Christmas will just come a bit later, but since I go back on the road next month, I would have only had a week to play anyway.  So rather than knowing I have a new "Toy" awaiting me at home, I will be able to concentrate on the job until January comes.  Gives me a lot of time to think about my first part.

I'm curious to know how solidoodle is going to handle the 3 coming out. Will you guys be building 2 and 3 side by side daily or allocate certain days for 2 and certain days for 3. I'm hoping future owners won't see a slow down in production because of the new model

They will be manufactured side by side. We make orders in the order we receive them.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

They will be manufactured side by side. We make orders in the order we receive them.

Any chance that those that originally ordered a SD2 and upgraded to a SD3 will be shipped in front of those who just ordered?  Only asking because I just upgraded today and I'm guessing that since the Engadget article just came out there may be many new customers that jumped in front of me.  My order # went from 4491 to 5935.  From reading a previous post looks like about 100 orders in about 2 days which could set me back another month if most of them were new customers from this article.

Why should you be shipped in front? You should have kept the s2 order then. Don´t get the logic there..

paeltz wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

Any chance that those that originally ordered a SD2 and upgraded to a SD3 will be shipped in front of those who just ordered?  Only asking because I just upgraded today and I'm guessing that since the Engadget article just came out there may be many new customers that jumped in front of me.  My order # went from 4491 to 5935.  From reading a previous post looks like about 100 orders in about 2 days which could set me back another month if most of them were new customers from this article.

Rondavouz wrote:

Why should you be shipped in front? You should have kept the s2 order then. Don´t get the logic there..

paeltz wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

The next logical question is why shouldn't he be. Myabe brand loyalty would be good or the fact he has already waited 2+ months or by god he feels he deserves soem special consideration.

? What do you think the rest of us did?
Brand loyalty you say?
Ordered the s3 the same day it came out, and also have a s2 that I'm really pleased with. What do you call that?
Sucks to wait for sure, totally agree, but you originally bought the 2,right?
If every one who bought a s2 now upgrades, is that "brand loyalty" or would that screw up the s2 production line?

Only solidoodle knows and I´m very sure they will deliver in a logical manner.

Manx wrote:
Rondavouz wrote:

paeltz wrote:

The next logical question is why shouldn't he be. Myabe brand loyalty would be good or the fact he has already waited 2+ months or by god he feels he deserves soem special consideration.

Rondavouz wrote:

Brand loyalty you say?
Ordered the s3 the same day it came out, and also have a s2 that I'm really pleased with. What do you call that?
If every one who bought a s2 now upgrades, is that "brand loyalty" or would that screw up the s2 production line?

Manx wrote:
Rondavouz wrote:

Yeah i did upgrade and am excited to get mine and i'm hoping to get it now notice i never asked for mine own to be expedited. in other words chill out and don't worry. You got yours to play with let it go dude

71 (edited by paeltz 2012-11-23 15:43:00)

Manx wrote:
Rondavouz wrote:

Brand loyalty you say?

Manx wrote:

Yeah i did upgrade and am excited to get mine and i'm hoping to get it now notice i never asked for mine own to be expedited. in other words chill out and don't worry. You got yours to play with let it go dude

Thanks Manx, at least you get where I am coming from.

Rondavouz, the only reason I think that SD should consider this is because like Manx said I have already been waiting on my SD2 that would have been shipped in December.  SD was kind enough to give those of us that have not received their SD2 yet an option to upgrade which I really appreciate.  I only wish that SD would have notified the people that are currently waiting at the same time they made this announcement.  I would have ordered right away and reserved my place in line like you did.  Since I do not have a SD2 yet I try not to torture myself by stalking this site or the SD site on a daily basis. (I do try to visit each site at least weekly.)  Instead I had to find out several days later and after an Engadget article was released which I'm sure brought in enough orders to set me back a few more months on the SD3.

Also I think you are confused on what "brand loyalty" means.  Having brand loyalty means sticking with the same brand or company when buying products.  If I wasn’t brand loyal I would just cancel my order and buy another printer from someone else.  I also would not be telling all of my friends that are interested in 3D printing about SD.   If someone buys an iPad 1 and then upgrades to an iPad 3 are they still not loyal to Apple?

Ideally I’d like to see SD reward all previous customers including you Rondavouz some sort of priority over new customers for SD3 ordering.  From a business standpoint this makes total sense if you truly want to build real “brand loyalty”.

I think your your truly over estimating the number of printers that were ordered over a few day period. The only thing that would cost you months is some kind of parts hold up or something similar on solidoodle's end.

Well if i were solidoodle i would change about 5 assemblers over to the Solidoodle 3 and get a stock built up of them for release in january. Saw they are able to produce 4 a day for a month thats 80 printers they could have ready to shipon january 1st which might take care of their total order status for the solidoodle 3

Manx wrote:

Well if i were solidoodle i would change about 5 assemblers over to the Solidoodle 3 and get a stock built up of them for release in january. Saw they are able to produce 4 a day for a month thats 80 printers they could have ready to shipon january 1st which might take care of their total order status for the solidoodle 3

If they could do that, why not just go ahead and ship them.  I would think the warehouse space would be more valuable than some official release date.  I suspect that it is all hands on deck getting their sd2 commitments on schedule.  I also suspect that setting up for the sd3 suply line takes a bit of time to pull together.  Just my thoughts.

RGargus wrote:
Manx wrote:

If they could do that, why not just go ahead and ship them.  I would think the warehouse space would be more valuable than some official release date.  I suspect that it is all hands on deck getting their sd2 commitments on schedule.  I also suspect that setting up for the sd3 suply line takes a bit of time to pull together.  Just my thoughts.

We have a lot of the S3 infrastructure in place, as it uses many of the same parts as S2. We are simply finishing up the printer itself.