Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

IanJohnson wrote:

Once I get my Christmas present projects finished I can start using my time on this.  I have 3 days off next week mostly on my own, so I will really be able to dive into it then.

Can you post the STL for the funnel?  I might want to make my own bigger one later, but for now I'd rather focus on assembling.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/HopperFunnel.STL
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/HopperFunnel.SLDPRT

127 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-21 00:39:21)

DeParted (and others),

I'm in the process of finalizing the Beta v2 plans. Here's the changes I have so far:

revise electrical instructions, add diagrams
revise mechanical instructions, add pictures
note the need to grind nipple lips
revise hopper (stronger, avoid interference with nuts)
box front is too thin
add to print hopper solid
add auger setback distance

Am I missing anything that would be helpful?

Also, I printed a duck at .1mm, using Repetier/Slic3r 0.9.7. I do not have a z-axis backlash nut or anything. Randomize starting points was on, so that's the random blobs you see. Here it is:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Screen%20Shot%202012-12-20%20at%207.35.47%20PM.png

128 (edited by nickythegreek 2012-12-21 02:11:17)

Tim,

You going to release the updated instructions soon or should I give it a try with the current set? I want to hopefully get this thing done by the end of the weekend but I don't always have the strongest confidence in my construction abilities.

Will this hopper funnel work with the redesigned hopper as well?

nickythegreek wrote:

Tim,

You going to release the updated instructions soon or should I give it a try with the current set? I want to hopefully get this thing done by the end of the weekend but I don't always have the strongest confidence in my construction abilities.

Wait for the new instructions. They will help. I'm about to post my other suggestions as well.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

nickythegreek wrote:

Tim,

The hopper funnel I posted works only with the hopper I've designed so far.

I have a v2 hopper and a v2 funnel. They have not been posted yet.

131 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-21 02:26:27)

nickythegreek wrote:

Tim,

I anticipate releasing the instructions Saturday. You can [EDITED, see below], and grind down the lips on each end of the nipples. That should take about 45 minutes, and the rest is just assembling pretty much.

EDIT: Don't cut the nipple yet.

elmoret wrote:

DeParted (and others),

I'm in the process of finalizing the Beta v2 plans. Here's the changes I have so far:

revise electrical instructions, add diagrams
revise mechanical instructions, add pictures
note the need to grind nipple lips
revise hopper (stronger, avoid interference with nuts)
box front is too thin
add to print hopper solid
add auger setback distance

Am I missing anything that would be helpful?

Also, I printed a duck at .1mm, using Repetier/Slic3r 0.9.7. I do not have a z-axis backlash nut or anything. Randomize starting points was on, so that's the random blobs you see. Here it is:

In addition to the above changes, add that you might have to grind off a little of the end of the auger to get it to slide into the coupling. 

Also, I think it would be good to make sure that people are aware that they need to make sure the motor driveshaft and the auger line up almost dead on.

Make sure the shaft collar on the auger is very tight or slid up to a point where the auger can't slide back on it.  The pressures I was getting on the auger almost ripped the motor off the board one time when I didn't have it tight enough.

Make sure you indicate which side of the brass plug gets drilled with what bit (this might be confusing for some).

Pictures pictures pictures...

Try to make sure everything is lined up really well once you start extruding. You don't want the auger at an angle which would cause excess internal rubbing leading to contamination.

I think it is also a good idea for people to extrude a couple of runs of pellets through to clear out contaminates before you print with it.

Filament ready to go into my solidoodle...

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.96 mb, 4 downloads since 2012-12-21 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Filastruder

elmoret wrote:

Whoops...

Filastruder

134 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-21 02:34:17)

DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Whoops...

Haha! The redesigned hopper is a little smaller, to provide clearance for the nuts without filing the hopper. That means the cut in the nipple is not as long, to work with the v2 hopper.

Also, unless you are extruding with clear ABS then I suggest you pull the auger at like 5 to ten hours to check that the nipples are not grinding the auger and creating contaminates.

Filastruder

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Whoops...

Haha! The redesigned hopper is a little smaller, to provide clearance for the nuts without filing the hopper. That means the cut in the nipple is not as long, to work with the v2 hopper.

Smaller should fix the problem with the nut rub.  I kinda like the current design though because it actually holds about an hour worth or pellets.

Filastruder

137 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-21 02:56:24)

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Smaller should fix the problem with the nut rub.  I kinda like the current design though because it actually holds about an hour worth or pellets.

It's only 20% smaller. So now you get 48 minutes of pellets!

I started the print with filament I made after cooking 30 minutes it at 180C - I left the heater on without the auger moving, then started the auger. That changed the color to light grey, but it still extruded fine - no clogs. I've been extruding all day long in fact (8 hours), no clogs! Partway through the print, I stopped it and switched to some fresh filament.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Photo%20Dec%2020%2C%209%2041%2042%20PM.jpg

Got around to making a print with the homemade filament today. Printed just fine.

Blue was the previous color that's why it's tinted.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.21 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-21 

Filastruder

I have an idea of an accumulator that would work with the extruder and a spool windup stand
to keep filiment off the floor.
the center bar will travel up and down on the shaft (may have to add weight) and contact an upper and lower limit switch
to run windup stand.

Thanks
dubbsd

Post's attachments

Accumulator.JPG
Accumulator.JPG 84.76 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-22 

Ultimaker S3.

Yup! I was about to make the very same thing. You only need one limit switch - turn the windup motor on once the loop drops below a certain level.

I have enough parts to expand the beta program to 10 people, up from the original 4. That should give a fairly large variety of users, and then the design can be finalized.

I've set up a special email account to keep this separate from my personal account. If you're interested in getting a beta kit, shoot me an email at [email protected].

Thanks!

awesome email name. are you still on track to release the updated instructions tonight?

nickythegreek wrote:

awesome email name. are you still on track to release the updated instructions tonight?

Yup! They'll reflect the changes noted above. I haven't had time to assemble another one, so I won't be able to add pictures of partially assembled steps yet.

144 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-23 03:24:37)

nickythegreek wrote:

Here you go!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Filastruder.zip

Some notes:

This uses v2 of the hopper and hopper funnel. If you already printed v1 of those, that's no problem! You can use them with these instructions. You cannot use the old instructions with the v2 hopper/hopper funnel.

Again, sorry I haven't added pictures. I did add some drawings of the hole patterns on the wood supports, and a section view of the brass cap. If you use the patterns directly, be sure to print them at 100% scale.

If you have questions during assembly, just post here!

Tim,

Were my wood blocks supposed to have patterns on them?

146 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-23 02:32:16)

nickythegreek wrote:

Tim,

Were my wood blocks supposed to have patterns on them?

You're supposed to drill the holes yourself (Step 1). I included a PDF with the dimensions.

I think I see what is missing, my package didn't include the flanges.

148 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-23 03:08:57)

nickythegreek wrote:

I think I see what is missing, my package didn't include the flanges.

Oh no.... emailing you...

EDIT: Boxed up 4 flanges, will go out Monday via USPS Priority.

149 (edited by nickythegreek 2012-12-23 06:28:47)

slic3r .97 slices hopper v2 hollow, which I couldn't get v1 to do. Already an improvement! Printing out it with the octave white I just got in.

update: printed nice at .3mm, 100% infill , 250 layers - 2hrs56min. corners curled.

DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:

The white cord was to give you something to plug the AC adapter into. The idea was to have a single connection to the wall outlet, by cutting the white cord and using the female end.

That makes more sense now.

So any ideas on colorant? Cause I really want some tie-die filament.

existing coloured filament pieces will make for a light colourant.

(in industrial blow moulding flash from previously moulded objects is recycled into the mix as a part of the colouring)

for tie die effect, (in the traditional washed out pastel colours, just produce a layer, throw some clippings of a strong red coloured filament in with some natural chips, then some more natural then some yellow, then some more natural, then some blue.

that should produce a washed out tie die effect of a natural / red / orange / yellow / green / blue filament.

you'll need to use plenty of natural chips to separate the colours (mixing all together too closely will just make brown/black, but clearly you need to use enough colour to actually taint the natural plastic.

liquid food colourants are likely to be messy