Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

I'm thinking of printing an adapter that lets me spool it into empty spools with a drill.

How's the diameter consistency? Any contamination?

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Made some green today...there needs to be a better way to coil it though. Doing it by hand sucks...

Still 50:1?

I coiled up my first few meters, and will try printing it tomorrow.  It's running 1.73 +- .03mm. However it is a little wavy, so that if I measure on the thick part of the caliper it is 1.83.   I wonder if mounting it to the wall pointing down will help it extrude straight without the wiggle.   I had to point another bigger fan from the side.  It was staying soft long enough for the slightest movement to put a bend in it.  Cooling it faster right out of the nozzle helps it resist sideways motion.

Wavy? Can you post a picture? What temperature?

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

Made some green today...there needs to be a better way to coil it though. Doing it by hand sucks...

Yes, still 50:1ish. One thing I do not like is that switching colors takes a lot of time and plastic to push out the old color. I am starting to think it might be better to go to a smaller diameter set-up with a faster turning auger.  This way, when I do a color change, new pellets make it to the melting area faster and there is less wasted material. Another thing I thought would be cool was if there was a way to change the hot end quickly if I want to extrude a different type of plastic (right now I think I'm stuck with ABS because of the different melt temps between it and HDPE).

I am still getting a small bit of contamination showing up in the filament. Dont know if it is from before or not but we might need to experiment with a screen to try and catch the larger pieces if it continues.

Diameter is consistent. I am finding that there are many factors that can cause it to change.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

IanJohnson wrote:

I coiled up my first few meters, and will try printing it tomorrow.  It's running 1.73 +- .03mm. However it is a little wavy, so that if I measure on the thick part of the caliper it is 1.83.   I wonder if mounting it to the wall pointing down will help it extrude straight without the wiggle.   I had to point another bigger fan from the side.  It was staying soft long enough for the slightest movement to put a bend in it.  Cooling it faster right out of the nozzle helps it resist sideways motion.

If you mount it pointed down I would watch your diameter pretty close.  When the plastic is still hot freshly extruded it can pull to a thin diameter pretty easily. I wonder if the weight of the filament pulling on itself in your situation would be enough to stretch it out.

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

Yes, still 50:1ish. One thing I do not like is that switching colors takes a lot of time and plastic to push out the old color. I am starting to think it might be better to go to a smaller diameter set-up with a faster turning auger.  This way, when I do a color change, new pellets make it to the melting area faster and there is less wasted material. Another thing I thought would be cool was if there was a way to change the hot end quickly if I want to extrude a different type of plastic (right now I think I'm stuck with ABS because of the different melt temps between it and HDPE).

I am still getting a small bit of contamination showing up in the filament. Dont know if it is from before or not but we might need to experiment with a screen to try and catch the larger pieces if it continues.

Diameter is consistent. I am finding that there are many factors that can cause it to change.

The problem with a smaller auger is that you need smaller pellets. The recommended pellet to auger diameter ratio is 1:4. I think we could make the cold zone shorter though.

You could waste less plastic by extruding until empty.

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:

The problem with a smaller auger is that you need smaller pellets. The recommended pellet to auger diameter ratio is 1:4. I think we could make the cold zone shorter though.

You could waste less plastic by extruding until empty.

I do extrude until empty but a small amount of plastic still remains in the space between the end of the auger and the brass cap. Depending on how close you have the auger this can be quite a bit of plastic still remaining.

Filastruder

184 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-30 17:45:05)

Oh, okay. Yeah I'm not sure that this could be avoided. You could slide the heater more towards the brass cap to reduce the size of the hotzone, but at the end of the day, you need about an 1/2" - 1" of molten plastic to ensure consistent extruding. The last thing you could do is move the auger further in, which would let you push more of the plastic out, but would increase drag on the motor. It's probably not practical to do frequent color switching.

I've redesigned it to use 2 flanges instead of 4, and a single longer nipple instead of two shorter ones. I plan to build one on the 2nd or 3rd, and send that kit to the next beta guys. It will reduce the part count and get rid of the flange misalignment problems.

I'm trying to simplify the electronics. I could get rid of one or both of the switches. I'd like to keep the fuse block, because along with the ground wire, they keep the chassis from becoming electrified in the event of a short. Thoughts?

185 (edited by nickythegreek 2012-12-31 19:58:21)

Got my kit all put together and running. This was a real fun and rewarding project. This little machine is so cool!

Thanks Tim for the kit and tech support.

I think I need to cut off an inch of the base in the front so that the filament falls without resting on the wood. It fell off the guides once and became a thick mess.  The cats might of helped it off the guide though..

Right now it is a pretty loose 'coil' forming on the ground, does this look right? Do you think the machine could use a 5 gallon bucket to catch the coil?

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=767&download=0

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=768&download=0

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=769&download=0

Post's attachments

Photo Dec 31, 1 47 20 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 31, 1 47 20 AM.jpg 2.27 mb, 5 downloads since 2012-12-31 

Photo Dec 31, 1 47 30 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 31, 1 47 30 AM.jpg 2.22 mb, 4 downloads since 2012-12-31 

Photo Dec 31, 2 50 32 PM.jpg
Photo Dec 31, 2 50 32 PM.jpg 2.12 mb, 6 downloads since 2012-12-31 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

186 (edited by nickythegreek 2012-12-31 20:05:47)

The front nylon tie over the heat wrap started to melt and had to be removed.  I couldn't get the thermocouple to stay put with the included SS tie, so I used a small house clamp instead.

The electronics enclosure could not contain all the parts and had to take some tools to it.  Added side port for thermocouple plug, hole on top for ground wire and longer port on back for heatband wires, 3 prong power cable and 2 prong extension.

Making sure the 2 flanges that are back to back are flat is very important.  I recommend people with this version of the kit find the 2 best fitting flanges and put them aside for that from the start.

It took a good 15minutes to start extruding anything once I started the auger for the first time.

187 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-31 20:29:17)

Make sure the washers on the filament guide are as high up as possible before tightening the bolt. They form the sides of the guide to help the filament stay on.

I also made a second guide at the table edge out of folded aluminum foil to help keep it straight.

The pile on the floor looks normal to me!

Ya I'm going to switch out the washers that came on the bolt with 2 of the washers on the motor support.  The other ones have a larger diameter and will help keep the filament on the brass.

I used kapton to hold the thermocouple in, and wrapped the brass cap several more times to help insulate it.  That was the recommended procedure for the heater block on my J-head, so I figured it would be a good idea for the Filastruder nozzle as well.

I'm also getting the best results letting the filament go from the nozzle into air without contacting the base or edge of table.  Any friction there causes a kink at the nozzle, and then when that kink hits the edge of the table it creates another kink at the nozzle.   I'm thinking of setting up two pairs of bearings for it to run between, with an adjustable gap between bearings.  I want something that will prevent movement of the filament near the floor from being transmitted to the nozzle where the plastic is soft.   I tried channeling it through a straw, but any bit of resistance would cause a kink that wouldn't fit through the opening and then the whole thing would get backed up.

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/filamentguide.jpg

I used aluminum foil because there's less friction plastic-metal than plastic-wood. Lowering the temperature helps too, but increases diameter and decreases speed.

nickythegreek wrote:

Got my kit all put together and running. This was a real fun and rewarding project. This little machine is so cool!

Thanks Tim for the kit and tech support.

I think I need to cut off an inch of the base in the front so that the filament falls without resting on the wood. It fell off the guides once and became a thick mess.  The cats might of helped it off the guide though..

Right now it is a pretty loose 'coil' forming on the ground, does this look right? Do you think the machine could use a 5 gallon bucket to catch the coil?

I Want to know how that 5 gallon bucket goes. I thought about trying that but I don't have any new buckets laying around.

Filastruder

Wow. cool project that is going on here..

Anybody wants to upload a youtube video or two of it in action? smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVF9A9MlKoE

New thrust bearings showed up, I can get back to extruding again...Thank You Tim!

Filastruder

No problem!

Saw this on thingiverse, seems like this was the place to post it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30705

nickythegreek wrote:

Saw this on thingiverse, seems like this was the place to post it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30705

Awesome!!

alright elmoret...get to work on this...let me know when the beta is ready.

Filastruder

That is the next thing I want to build.  It might be tricky to dial in the speed of spooling vs. speed of extrusion, but I think the end result would be more consistent.

Ian
when I get my SD3 I am going to build this accumulator
to go between the extruder and spool

Post's attachments

Accumulator.JPG 84.76 kb, 7 downloads since 2013-01-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Ultimaker S3.

The trick with the accumulator would be keeping the tension on the filament at the nozzle the same during the down phase as in the up phase.  Maybe instead the filament could be allowed to drop from the nozzle until it trips an optical sensor.  Then the spool would take it up until it lifts far enough to trip an upper sensor.   The sensors could be fairly close together so the amount of filament (and its weight) hanging from the nozzle wouldn't vary too much.

They already use optical endstops in some repraps, maybe it would be possible to use one of those somehow.