Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

elmoret wrote:

I forgot to mention! The pipe nipples have little lips on their ends, on the inside edge at each end. I removed these lips with a dremel, so the entrance is smooth. Definitely will add to the instructions, sorry!

No problem. I pretty much have to disassemble anyways to fix my hopper. This will allow me to inspect everything. You might also add that the end of the bit needs to be ground down a bit to slide onto the coupling between it and the motor.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

This is a very cool project and I'll prolly be down once all the idiosyncrasies get worked out, which it looks like you guys are 98% there.

Regarding printing boxes, this is something I'm doing at the moment and I've found a couple of things:
* Corners always seem to lift unless I'm printing pretty small
* Printing horizontally is way faster than printing vertically

I don't know if this will help with the electronics cover, but if you separate the sides to be assembled after printing, the flat pieces will print much faster and you should have much less corner lift. It does add another step but my finished pieces are turning out better for it.

Printed the Hopper yesterday at 100% infill.  This is my first solid print and man does it feel sturdy.

I forgot about the slic3r .97 extra wall issue that was happening but I was able to snip and filed them out.

Went and picked up the drill bits I was missing as well, so hopefully I can get this thing moving soon!

nickythegreek wrote:

Printed the Hopper yesterday at 100% infill.  This is my first solid print and man does it feel sturdy.

I forgot about the slic3r .97 extra wall issue that was happening but I was able to snip and filed them out.

Went and picked up the drill bits I was missing as well, so hopefully I can get this thing moving soon!

When you get to the electrical, read the whole section before you start cutting wire.

Filastruder

I think I have found a source for some masterbatch that we can mix with the natural abs to make colored filament. They are sending me some samples and I am going to play around with it.

Filastruder

I've put about 300g of "homemade" filament through my SD, no clogs so far!

elmoret wrote:

I've put about 300g of "homemade" filament through my SD, no clogs so far!

Impressive. Have you only been making filament from abs pellets or have you tried recycling printed parts?

Filastruder

Only from ABS pellets so far. I need to pick up a blender from goodwill or something to chop up old parts.

Okay... I want one.
My printer should be here on Friday and $45/spool for filament is just too expensive for rapid prototyping... especially when you make a lot of mistakes.

Any chance you could supply some part number so we could work together on this?
Or... maybe I'll just buy one from you and try to help out when I can.

Your thoughts elmoret?

============================================
Just because I make it look easy doesn't mean that it is.

I'm not sure what you mean.

If you want a listing of the parts, you can email me - elmoret at gmail. Buying them all individually costs more than what I've been selling the kits for, and you have to deal with 5 different suppliers.

I'm thinking of taking 4 new beta testers this week. Either way, email me and we'll work something out.

HE !!! don't forget me man wink i was 5 in the row big_smile

ysb wrote:

HE !!! don't forget me man wink i was 5 in the row big_smile

I won't! You're at the top of the list.

Do the new beta tester kits have alterations from the feedback from the first batch? I'm really set on getting one of your kits, but it will probably have to wait until I tally up the christmas expenses...

BotBot wrote:

Do the new beta tester kits have alterations from the feedback from the first batch? I'm really set on getting one of your kits, but it will probably have to wait until I tally up the christmas expenses...

They will, yes. It looks like the main alterations are:

better instructions
better hopper model
better electronics enclosure

The cost shouldn't change much. I'm going to wait a few more days for more feedback.

elmoret wrote:
BotBot wrote:

They will, yes. It looks like the main alterations are:

better instructions
better hopper model
better electronics enclosure

The cost shouldn't change much. I'm going to wait a few more days for more feedback.

I'm doing a four hour run tonight to see if I can push out the remaining contaminates.  I want to see some feedback from the other 3 machines.

Filastruder

One of my printers hot end simply died, and the other printer has never printed a decent part, so I may be stuck for a while. I will have some time on Saturday, but between the printer problems and the holidays, things will be going slowly here.  I would prefer to wait for a revised set of STLs before I print the hopper and case.

jon_bondy wrote:

One of my printers hot end simply died, and the other printer has never printed a decent part, so I may be stuck for a while. I will have some time on Saturday, but between the printer problems and the holidays, things will be going slowly here.  I would prefer to wait for a revised set of STLs before I print the hopper and case.

The hopper will work fine the way it is if you print it solid.

Filastruder

I have the parts printed, all the tools and supplies. Now I just need the time! I hope to sneak the building in-between family holiday events.

I'm happy to report that after removing the lips off the ends of the pipe nipples I am no longer getting any contaminates and would feel very confident running this filament through my printer...I will try to print something in the next couple of days.

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:

I'm happy to report that after removing the lips off the ends of the pipe nipples I am no longer getting any contaminates and would feel very confident running this filament through my printer...I will try to print something in the next couple of days.

Nice! Again, I'm sorry I forgot to put that in the instructions. Even the clear ABS looks ok?

121 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2012-12-20 04:03:46)

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

Nice! Again, I'm sorry I forgot to put that in the instructions. Even the clear ABS looks ok?

No problem. At least we noticed before everyone else built theirs. Clear abs is looking good.

My only complaint is the noise. I want to build some sort of box around the motor to help. It is driving me crazy. Ideas?

Filastruder

Once I get my Christmas present projects finished I can start using my time on this.  I have 3 days off next week mostly on my own, so I will really be able to dive into it then.

Can you post the STL for the funnel?  I might want to make my own bigger one later, but for now I'd rather focus on assembling.

123 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-20 19:08:15)

DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

No problem. At least we noticed before everyone else built theirs. Clear abs is looking good.

My only complaint is the noise. I want to build some sort of box around the motor to help. It is driving me crazy. Ideas?

It bothers me too. I run it in the garage, with a towel wrapped around the motor. That helps some - I can't hear it in the house. Packing the gearbox with grease should also help, haven't tried that.

Unfortunately, it's just part of spur gears. I have a few more ideas to quiet it down, just haven't explored them yet.

What about some noise cancelling panels? I've used products like that for building PCs. They're sticky foam sheets, may require some sort of enclosure for the motor though.

BigHache wrote:

What about some noise cancelling panels? I've used products like that for building PCs. They're sticky foam sheets, may require some sort of enclosure for the motor though.

That would definitely help. Drywall would work, too. The problem is with a metal coupling, the whole assembly becomes a "speaker", more or less. The whole assembly needs a box around it, really. Part of why I'm redesigning it to be smaller. I think I can do 6"x6"x16".