51 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-28 18:02:34)

Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

So far, the auger goes nearly all the way. There's about a 1.5" length of molten plastic that the auger pushes against. In the teardown, the last 1" of the auger was covered in molten plastic. So, the pellets are melting on the auger. This is how the pros do it, apparently.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Injection_moulding.png/800px-Injection_moulding.png

I have not experimented with different placements of the auger, though that is definitely possible with the kit.

One of the biggest gotchas is shipping. Purchasing everything separately, to build one unit, you'd pay over $200. I worked very hard to bring the price down (over 100 hours on the BoM), but I still had to use 8 different vendors, which hurts a single unit cost, because of all that shipping.

The next biggest gotcha is hopper design. You have to design something robust enough to not be abraded by the passing of pellets, but consistent enough to feel a good supply of pellets to the melt zone. Inconsistencies result in varying extrusion pressure, and therefore varying diameter. The filament guide is also important.

I'm not sure that the design needs to be changed to add colorant. I added some green shavings from a scrap print, and the result was pretty consistent. The ratio was about 1:10, so the color is not exactly vibrant, but it is consistent. I think that solid or liquid colorant would be fine.

The motor I am using is this one:

It seems to be up to the job mechanically. I would recommend disassembling it and adding more grease, their application is a little questionable. It also uses spur gears, so it's noisy - that's where most of the 58dBA comes from.

elmoret wrote:
RSandven wrote:

What a great project!
What about air bubbles, is this then consistent?

I've extruded 2kg, and only saw one air bubble. it happened when powering up the extruder from cold - I hadn't even turned the auger motor on.

How are you currently coiling the filament as it comes out of the extruder?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

53 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-04 18:51:12)

DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:
RSandven wrote:

What a great project!
What about air bubbles, is this then consistent?

I've extruded 2kg, and only saw one air bubble. it happened when powering up the extruder from cold - I hadn't even turned the auger motor on.

How are you currently coiling the filament as it comes out of the extruder?

I let it pile up on the floor. It typically lays in coils by itself. If I tape the end to the floor, it lays in figure eights, which don't get tangled in my experience.

I then put it on a spool by hand. It takes about 5 minutes to spool a half pound. I'll probably make a winder at some point.

So Elmoret, you up to selling some sample product for secondary testing?  My SD natural seems to be getting a little low and I'd like to see what the design can do.  Gotta be faster than ordering out of China, and I'd like to see what other results come out of "homespun" filament.

Let me know if I can run some tests for ya!

Gotta stock up before I get that replacement lead screw.

cckens wrote:

So Elmoret, you up to selling some sample product for secondary testing?  My SD natural seems to be getting a little low and I'd like to see what the design can do.  Gotta be faster than ordering out of China, and I'd like to see what other results come out of "homespun" filament.

Let me know if I can run some tests for ya!

Gotta stock up before I get that replacement lead screw.

You and jooshs are both interested. I could send you guys about 1/6th of a pound each - the longest single piece I have is 1/3rd of a pound. I've been starting and stopping a lot as I make tweaks. I'll warn you, this filament varies from 1.68-1.82mm - I was tweaking temperatures while extruding.

Shoot me an email and we'll work something out.

CAD Model/electronics enclosure in progress:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/ExtruderCAD.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Extruder.png

Unfortunately, I can't print the electronics enclosure. Still waiting on parts from SD. sad

Neat.  Is there a reason the motor can't sit closer to the screw? Or is that issue addressed in the CAD model above?

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Neat.  Is there a reason the motor can't sit closer to the screw? Or is that issue addressed in the CAD model above?

It can, I'd just have to cut the shaft down. Just haven't done it yet. I definitely have some ideas for making it more compact.

ABS pellets finally came in. Beta kits ship today!

I've uploaded the assembly instructions and the printed CAD files:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Instructions%26CAD.zip

THe instructions are also in beta. My to-do list:

Add pictures of assembly process
Add CAD drawings of cut and drilled parts

Let me know your thoughts!

excellent! I'l try and get these parts printed this week.

This is great! I just had a thought though. Buying pellets is a great way to save money, but do you think you would be able to put used legos in there and get an abs spool?

McMuFFin wrote:

This is great! I just had a thought though. Buying pellets is a great way to save money, but do you think you would be able to put used legos in there and get an abs spool?

You probably could, though you're better off selling them. Legos go for $10-15 a pound on ebay.

It would be one way to get a variety of colors, though.

Sweet.  I am going to need to build this next for sure!!!

Got my package today elmoret, everything is so much smaller then I thought it would! Printing out the electronics cover tonight.

nickythegreek wrote:

Got my package today elmoret, everything is so much smaller then I thought it would! Printing out the electronics cover tonight.

Nice, I actually just emailed you to ask if you'd gotten the kit. Btw, my first name is Tim.

Pictures of my new toy...

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.51 mb, 5 downloads since 2012-12-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Filastruder

nickythegreek wrote:

Have you printed the hopper yet? It needs some major redesign work. I had to grind it in areas to make it fit.

Filastruder

DeParted:

Cool! A couple thoughts:

The screws will be stronger if they're installed from underneath. I only installed them from above because I was playing with the placement and it was an easy solution. If it works for you though, great!

I've never printed the electronics box - my Solidoodle is waiting on some bolts from Solidoodle Support for their new print carriage assembly. What'd you think of the box? How's the fitment? Enough room inside for the wiring?

Similarly, I've never printed that exact hopper. How'd it fit?

If you have a multimeter, can you check the voltage at the motor terminals ( you can pull the red cap off) with the extruder running?

Thanks!

DePartedPrinter wrote:
nickythegreek wrote:

Have you printed the hopper yet? It needs some major redesign work. I had to grind it in areas to make it fit.

Well, that answers that! Let me know what needs changed, or I'll play with it once I get my SD back up and running.

elmoret wrote:

DeParted:

Cool! A couple thoughts:

The screws will be stronger if they're installed from underneath. I only installed them from above because I was playing with the placement and it was an easy solution. If it works for you though, great!

I've never printed the electronics box - my Solidoodle is waiting on some bolts from Solidoodle Support for their new print carriage assembly. What'd you think of the box? How's the fitment? Enough room inside for the wiring?

Similarly, I've never printed that exact hopper. How'd it fit?

If you have a multimeter, can you check the voltage at the motor terminals ( you can pull the red cap off) with the extruder running?

Thanks!

The screws seem to be holding the way they are now. The box was fine size wise. The front was a little to thin though and cracked when I placed the switches into the slots.

Also, the thermocouple was a pain to connect to the pid. Am I supposed to cut that wire or leave it the way it is and have a giant connection sticking out? FYI,  this part was also left off the wiring diagram.

Filastruder

72 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-16 04:54:28)

For the thermocouple, I just put the pins of the terminal under the screw terminals. That leaves a big connector hanging out. The trouble with cutting the connector off the thermocouple is introducing cold junctions. I haven't tried to see how bad it'd mess things up.

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:
nickythegreek wrote:

Well, that answers that! Let me know what needs changed, or I'll play with it once I get my SD back up and running.

I had to bevel the edges so that the nuts could be turned. Also the pressure from the auger is probably going to destroy it fairly soon...the bottom of the sides are starting to split out.

This thing makes filament like crazy!

Post's attachments

image.jpg 1.38 mb, 5 downloads since 2012-12-16 

image.jpg 1.7 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-16 

Filastruder

elmoret wrote:

For the thermocouple, I just put the pins of the terminal under the screw terminals. That leaves a big connector hanging out. The trouble with cutting the connector off the thermocouple is introducing cold junctions. I haven't tried to see how bad it'd mess things up.

Had to modify the box.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.53 mb, 4 downloads since 2012-12-16 

Filastruder

75 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-16 05:08:56)

DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

I had to bevel the edges so that the nuts could be turned. Also the pressure from the auger is probably going to destroy it fairly soon...the bottom of the sides are starting to split out.

This thing makes filament like crazy!

Ah- yeah, that makes sense. I might just make the whole thing shorter, to clear the nuts.

Did you print it solid? Splitting of the hopper is something I thought I avoided in this design. It was definitely an issue in precious hopper designs. Did you print it solid - 100% infill?

The current hopper I'd been using before I left on travel was a paper towel roll cut and taped. It seemed to work well, but is pretty crude.

Edit: Bummer that the wood split. I might have to move up a grade to get stuff with less knots.

You said it spits out filament like crazy? What temperatures? How many inches per minute?