751 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-19 16:52:47)

Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Filastruder/Teaser2.png

Unfortunately most of the parts I used aren't in the 3D library, particularly the screw terminals and switches. sad

Cool new filament material Nylon 618:

3ders.org//articles/20130218-3d-printing-bone-replacements-cartilage-replacements-medical-devices-with-618-nylon.html

753 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-19 18:10:41)

Yeah, Taulman's stuff is neat, but Nylon carries some challenges. Primarily HCN. I don't have a HCN detector, so I prefer not to use it.

Nylon 6/6 releases ~250% more HCN than ABS does, so I think I'll pass. I trust published studies over Taulman's own potentially biased testing.

From published sources: "At 350C, HCN was detected"

Taulman's stuff might be "safe enough"... but published data shows ABS is potentially 2.5x safer, so I prefer it. Taulman's testing doesn't really represent a runaway hotend or extruder. 20w hotends can get >350C, and 40w hotends can get >550C. The latter is definite HCN territory on Nylon.

Sources:

http://nparc.cisti-icist.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca … amp;fd=pdf

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelin … ition.html

http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire86/PDF/f86013.pdf

Yes, from your sources, it looks like it is about 2.5 times more toxic than ABS at 500C.  The solution is of course to have an extra failsafe temp cutoff at the hot end, or to vent the printer to the outside.  The material looks too useful to ignore, but does not seem to be available in raw pellet form, only 1.75mm and 3mm spools.

Crap I forgot about the HCN when I ordered mine.  Can't do it with infants in the house.  Look for a fire sale if they won't take it back.

haha

I'm stuck away from my workshop for a few more weeks but there's something I want to try asap:

Build the extruder but extrude directly into a short, cooled, lightly tapered+polished  tube of approx 1.75mm inside diameter and use a haul-off (extruder drive) to pull the cold, hardened filament out at a steady rate.

I don't know if this will work as extruding into a tube might have a hydraulic-brake effect but if it works it means that the whole process would be less critical and also that one might be able to extrude more than one filament simultaneously.

This what I'm working on right now- Plug drilled and tapped to 6mm.  A Brass 6mm bolt drilled at 1.54mm with the head cut off, screwed into the plug.  A 7/16 PTFE rod drilled and tapped to 6mm a few mm deep to screw onto the bolt which is protruding from the plug.  After the threaded section, the rod is drilled the rest of the way through at 1.70 or 1.75.  I also increased the threaded rods to 18" so they reach past the end of the nozzle, and support a plate that keeps the PTFE rod pressed against the nozzle.  The threads by themselves aren't enough to keep the extruded plastic from pushing the rod off.

I realized that the brass barrel for the Solidoodle extruder is 6mm, and I had an extra hot end left over from my upgrade to the J-Head.  I screwed it in so that the plastic extruded through the barrel and out the top of the PEEK to see what would happen.  The filament was a little bigger than 2mm of course, and it was smooth and glossy from being pushed through the PTFE while soft.  Also it seem less prone to kinking.

My thought is that the plastic will swell coming out of the 1.54 opening in the bolt as usual, but be constrained by the 1.75mm ID of the PTFE.  The PTFE should be slippery enough that pressure against the walls should translate into forward motion of the plastic without creating too much backpressure in the extruder.  The PTFE would basically mold the plastic to its final dimension, and ideally be long enough that the filament would be too cool to swell any more coming out the end.

It could be guided by a PTFE tube mounted in the other end of the rod, in a roundabout way to the spooler which would keep any slight variation in pull from getting transmitted directly to the nozzle.

I just picked up some 1/4" PTFE filled PEEK rod for this very purpose. I'm thinking it can be threaded, then the first 10mm or the brass cap is threaded, and the whole thing drilled at 1.6mm.

If you have any concerns over Taulmans 618 Nylon, please send him an email.  He is usually very happy to share all the testing results.

Off Track, but blown away by the success of this hand held ABS extruder on KickStarter.  1000% funded on the first day!

kickstarter.com/projects/1351910088/3doodler-the-worlds-first-3d-printing-pen

pen conversation going on here:
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1384/3d-printing-pen/

762 (edited by Dirty Steve 2013-02-20 15:37:24)

Here's a video of my extruder. You'll have to copy and paste as I am not yet able to post links on soliforum.

youtu.be/WK2orumQWzo

Well, that was quite some read. Since I have just found this thread I feel I've been missing out.
Congrats to elmoret and the rest of you testers for getting so far so quickly.

Like most I have been thinking about creating some sort of extruder but so far just haven't had the time.

During the read I kept thinking why haven't they tried this or that only to find on the next page that you have. I did love the spool of "clear" though :-)

Probably too late top mention now but with the circuit you are working on I assume is a controller for the heater and auger driver? Did you think about adding a cold junction thermocouple IC to it so the mega could do you PID control to be able to make it a single board? I was thinking of an AD595 which I have used in the past for work which seem to be pretty good.

Ian, Have you made any progress with the laser/ccd width detector? I think that and the pull speed is going to be the way to go for reliable width.  There must be a simple and cheap way to detect the width but I haven't come across one yet. The smallest photocells I have used were still a few millimeters across which doesn't lend itself to accuracy.

Zarni wrote:

Probably too late top mention now but with the circuit you are working on I assume is a controller for the heater and auger driver? Did you think about adding a cold junction thermocouple IC to it so the mega could do you PID control to be able to make it a single board? I was thinking of an AD595 which I have used in the past for work which seem to be pretty good.

Ian, Have you made any progress with the laser/ccd width detector? I think that and the pull speed is going to be the way to go for reliable width.  There must be a simple and cheap way to detect the width but I haven't come across one yet. The smallest photocells I have used were still a few millimeters across which doesn't lend itself to accuracy.

I was going to use a thermistor - works well for hotends, and saves be a IC like the AD595. PID control's the plan!

If you put the filament up next to the fan laser diode, then change in diameter are amplified. You could set it up for a 20:1 ratio - then a 2mm difference in where the laser lands represents a 0.2mm difference in filament diameter. You might stand a chance then! Unfortunately, ambient light could make it tricky. You could put a photocell not in the laser path to compensate, perhaps.

I have a couple of sensors, but I haven't tried to set it up yet.  It is a strip of 128 photocells in 40mm.  You send a pulse to the sensor and it sends back a reading for the next pixel in line.  The idea is shine the line laser on it, and start checking pixels.  When one shows up that isn't full brightness, start counting, and then when another full bright pixel shows up stop counting.   You would need to start with something that has a known diameter to get a conversion from pixels to distance.

If the distances between the laser, filament and sensor are such that the shadow is almost as wide as the sensor, I get get .01-.02mm per pixel.

My hobbed bolt finally came in today, so I can test that tonight for consistency in feed rate.  I'm also trying to decide if it is easier to learn enough Processing to make an app that will show Speed, Filament count and graph the diameter, while letting you type in a feed rate?  Or would it be easier to wire up an LCD with the encoder and learn how to make an interface to do those things. 

So far for the spooler it is something like-

$17      Stepper
$25      Arduino Uno
$9        Hobbed Bolt (if it is acceptable)
$12      DC Motor for the spool (maybe driven by the Uno)
$15-20 LCD, depending on # of lines
$16      Linear CCD sensor
$10      Bag of bearings
$6        Laser

That's already about $100 for the spooler.  The electronics could maybe also drive extruder controls.  The extruder works fine by itself.  The spooler is a bonus, but it's more convenient, and it would be nice to have a feed counter.  Pulling from a larger die lets you boost the feed rate which is also a bonus.  The laser size sensor is added geekery, something to do just because you can.  Something like using an optical mouse to measure the rate of extrusion at the nozzle so the puller can sync up with the extruder would be additional geekery.   

It would be cool if those features could be added without bumping the cost too much.  $250 is a good upper limit but it would be tough to do the whole package for that price.   It's easier to swallow if the spooler is an add on.

766 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-21 15:08:34)

Leaving this here: (Extrusion book, 45MB)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Extrus … ndbook.pdf

Which linear CCD did you settle on?

It was this one - http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch … mp;cur=USD  about $14 from Digikey

Stratasys filed a patent for making filament with tolerances suitable for printing.  I've only started looking at it-

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OWAUAA … mp;f=false

I haven't had any luck with the PTFE nozzle so far.  I didn't get the hole in the bolt lined up perfectly with the hole in the PTFE, so the plastic was able to catch on an edge and squeeze out the back rather than run through the channel.  Next I'll try drilling 6mm into the PTFE, putting in the bolt with the hole already drilled in it, and then drill the 1.6 hole through the PTFE by running it through the bolt first.  The bit isn't long enough to drill all the way through both at the same time, but it will at least get the holes lined up.  The other problem is that the end of the 6mm bit is rounded, which makes the bottom of the hole rounded.  This means the end of the bolt can't sit flush against the PTFE, which leaves a space where the plastic can fill up and cause back pressure.  I think I've seen bits that can drill flat, so I'll need to track down one of those.  Also I need to buy a new bench top drill press.  The 40 year old monster I'm using now does fine with normal sized bits, but can't hold a #52 bit straight.  I can only get about 20mm through brass before they snap.

Tim, where did you find your PEEK/PTFE rod? 

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/photo-35.jpg

769 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-21 18:29:18)

PEEK/PTFE:

McMaster Number: 1595A13

Ian: I'm surprised that the PTFE doesn't deform enough to fill the angled hole the 6mm bit leaves.

Shot some timelapse of the filastruder. I never realized how much the machine moves.

[video]

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

771 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-21 20:07:01)

Wow... that's really cool. I take it you had the camera on some sort of dolly? Looks like about 100x timelapse.

I purposely left the end of the barrel unconstrained so that it could move, just like is shown in the video. I figured there was no way to get everything aligned perfectly. If I constrained the end, then the auger-pipe forces would be much higher, as the misalignment caused rubbing. Leaving it unconstrained limits those forces. It's kinda like the z-axis on repraps, and how Nophead found constraining the top makes it worse.

Edit: It looks like you've got some oscillatory behavior on the temperature control. Autotuning your PID should help with that. Unfortunately it isn't a one size fits all sort of thing, as the heater wrap placement, heater band placement, ambient temps, fan placement, etc all change the system dynamics.

IanJohnson wrote:

It was this one - http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch … mp;cur=USD  about $14 from Digikey

You might have this already, but Arduino code:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … &pbx=1

(google cache, since Arduino's site is down atm)

github repo:

https://github.com/chiva/Arduino-CCD-TSL214

elmoret wrote:

Wow... that's really cool. I take it you had the camera on some sort of dolly? Looks like about 100x timelapse.

Dolly with a GoPro. 1 frame every 2 seconds.  If you look closely, I switch from clear to green mid extrusion (color looks terrible on the GoPro inside so its hard to tell).

elmoret wrote:

Edit: It looks like you've got some oscillatory behavior on the temperature control. Autotuning your PID should help with that. Unfortunately it isn't a one size fits all sort of thing, as the heater wrap placement, heater band placement, ambient temps, fan placement, etc all change the system dynamics.

The video definitely makes this more noticeable. Is there a procedure for auto-tuning the PID?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Is there a procedure for auto-tuning the PID?

I don't have it in front of me to double check, but I think you press and hold set 5 seconds,, tap it a few times until ATU comes up, change to 0001, keep hitting set until it dumps you back to normal screen, AT led will blink during the process. I think it took ~5 minutes or so.

Manual:

http://www.fmfranklin.com.au/products/d … 00inst.pdf

Ian, A suggestion to increase the resolution the sensors is to use two (one for each edge) and then just rotate the whole assembly so it is looking at the filament at an angle closer to the direction of flow, no-one said it has to be perpendicular to the filament. You could then look as close as you want at each side, you will of course run in to an issue at some point with transparency of the filament but hopefully that should be well beyond the accuracy of the rig.

I like the look of those sensors though, never seen them before. It almost makes it too easy to read width. Looks like I need to order more bits. I'm not making filastuder yet, just playing with all the electronics.

That patent from Stratasys looks very generic. I'm never sure how far to read in to some patents, to me it looks like they are describing a current process, nothing new, oh apart from they have upped the accuracy.