Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

After reading the free google book I tried to balance the cooling flow on my filastruder.  Three fans tessalated on a sphere with a hole in the middle for filament to flow thru.
I ran with the fan assembly forwards(flowing air towards the nozzle) and backwards(flowing air away from the nozzle).
I think the filament cools faster but I could not see any difference in the coiling. The cooler filament did not kink or ramen as much at the nozzle when the pile of filament moved around. Maybe a good idea maybe not.

I am currently printing Bottlework's fan duct to see if that helps - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32667

Ian, I used pre coloured because my machines were plunger ones, not screw ones. I also bought coloured regrind from a toy factory really cheap but I was using HDPE not ABS. ABS isn't  widely used.

I think these extruders are a bit small to use masterbatch, it doesn't get mixed in very well. I suppose you could fairly easily convert the extruder into a pelletiser and run the plastic through twice. I think one can get it in in very fine pellets, rather than the usual 3mm ones, which would help. The alternative is powder but that is very messy.

As for buying masterbatch, I can only suggest approaching a masterbatch manufacturer to group-buy a selection of colours in one go. I am in GB,  too far away to take part. One could also suggest to the manufacturer to put their masterbatch on ebay.

Markx wrote:

I think these extruders are a bit small to use masterbatch, it doesn't get mixed in very well. I suppose you could fairly easily convert the extruder into a pelletiser and run the plastic through twice. I think one can get it in in very fine pellets, rather than the usual 3mm ones, which would help. The alternative is powder but that is very messy.

I mixed master batch with natural ABS at ratios ranging from 25:1 to 100:1 and it produced consistently colored filament just fine.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

so when is the next set of kis going to be ready?

Manx wrote:

so when is the next set of kis going to be ready?

The kits are ready, but I am waiting to release on Kickstarter, instead of dribbling out more and more "beta" units. There's a waiting list right now of around 40 people. We're waiting on a friend of mine to finish editing the video we'll use on Kickstarter, then we'll be ready to launch!

i'm pretty sure i'm on the waiting list big_smile

elmoret wrote:

Ian and the other guys: Can you shoot a short video of your extruder, now that its converted?

I can try and shoot something (it will be short). I made a half pound of clear over the weekend but was gone for most of it.

Time-lapse work for you?

Filastruder

734 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-18 19:06:36)

Sure, that'd be great.

How was the half pound of clear? Any contaminants?

By the way, I have to say I don't recommend running this in an empty house any more than I'd recommend running a kitchen oven with no one around. If the filament kinks up, a lot of it could sit on the heater and start smoking. I discovered this running the Filastruder overnight, and waking up to wisps of smoke coming off the end of the barrel, and a baseball sized glob of plastic. Though you don't have to be in the same room, I'd recommend at least having someone home in case things go awry. I'll add a warning to the manual.

Yeah you better put a cover your butt sticker in with the kits so you don't end up getting sued somewhere down the line. 

Use at your own risk, as with any electronic device this should be used under supervision of an adult and is experimental by nature.  Hot water burn baby.  All that kind of stuff.

elmoret wrote:

Sure, that'd be great.

How was the half pound of clear? Any contaminants?

By the way, I have to say I don't recommend running this in an empty house any more than I'd recommend running a kitchen oven with no one around. If the filament kinks up, a lot of it could sit on the heater and start smoking. I discovered this running the Filastruder overnight, and waking up to wisps of smoke coming off the end of the barrel, and a baseball sized glob of plastic. Though you don't have to be in the same room, I'd recommend at least having someone home in case things go awry. I'll add a warning to the manual.

I will try to shoot the video later this week.

Contaminates are becoming less and less of an issue the more plastic I run through the machine.  The clear I produced looked pretty good (I would have done some prints with it today but forgot the spool at home). I think it takes about a 1/2 to 1lb of ABS to flush out most of the contaminates when it is first started.

I am not super concerned about a fire with the machine but it would be good to have that noted in the manual.  You should probably also put in some minimum and maximum recommended temps to prevent damage to the machine.

Filastruder

Hi, new here just want to say lots of info here. Has anyone tried extruding PLA?

verticalvic wrote:

Hi, new here just want to say lots of info here. Has anyone tried extruding PLA?

Find some pellets and I'm happy to try. smile

lol I havnt looked for them yet r they hard to find?

elmoret wrote:
verticalvic wrote:

Find some pellets and I'm happy to try. smile

OS is supposed to start carrying them starting late this month or early next month.   You could email Rob to confirm.

Filastruder

Ok cool, I'll do some digging and see if I can find some maybe.

Teaser:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Filastruder/Teaser.png

743 (edited by ysb 2013-02-19 00:33:26)

ok i have a little spare time, so i start to build my beta kit.

one of the think i didn't like is the "Motor coupling assembly with the two 10-24 nuts ".. so i upgrade the system a little with a little square of metal .the thickness of the square is the same as the space between the two `tooths`of the motor axe

the side size of the square is the inner diagonal of the large side of the 9mm hex socket.

look at the picture. it's very simple and IMHO , more clean and robust than the original method

sorry, i took the pictures with my webcam, but i think you can see what i mean

Post's attachments

coupling1.jpg
coupling1.jpg 6.54 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

coupling2.jpg 4.59 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

coupling3.jpg
coupling3.jpg 7.38 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

coupling4.jpg
coupling4.jpg 6.21 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Tim, check your mail.

745 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-19 02:11:02)

I've tried that, it doesn't last. Eventually the edges of the metal piece you made get chewed up. Maybe your metal is harder or fits better than what I used - just plate steel.

It's a moot point though, everything from here on out uses the quieter motor that doesn't have the problem with the shaft - the quieter motor uses a round shaft with a flat.

On the topic of PLA. We have been approved through the supplier and I am just waiting to hear back for availability. I have also started contacting a different supplier for more ABS colorant options.

OSPrinting wrote:

On the topic of PLA. We have been approved through the supplier and I am just waiting to hear back for availability. I have also started contacting a different supplier for more ABS colorant options.

Anxiously awaiting it!

748 (edited by Dirty Steve 2013-02-19 05:27:13)

@elmoret

I've been testing my version of an extruder that Nick posted pics of. I need to do some video editing and should have a video post tomorrow. Not printing with the filament yet, still flushing contaminates, and filament is too inconsistant.

My gear motor is not strong enough to run consistantly and I need to replace it with something with better torque. My current motor is from an old cordless Skil screwdriver, no idea of the ratio, it was in my junk bin. When my motor drags, I am loosing diameter in my filament and getting a heavier amp draw which slows down my cooling fan. My extrusion is ranging from 1.45 to 1.75mm from a 1.6mm nozzle. I get decent extrusion when the motor runs smoothly. Running 10-12 inches/min.

I wanted to know if you could tell me what gear motor you are using, ratio/torque, and how many amps are you driving it with? I need to source one that is 12 volt, I just need an idea of what specs to look for. I'm driving a 1/2" auger so I might be able to get away with something a little smaller.

1-3 RPM with at least 40 in-lbs of torque range?

Thanks!

Post's attachments

DSC04141.JPG
DSC04141.JPG 314.91 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

elmoret wrote:

I've tried that, it doesn't last. Eventually the edges of the metal piece you made get chewed up. Maybe your metal is harder or fits better than what I used - just plate steel.

It's a moot point though, everything from here on out uses the quieter motor that doesn't have the problem with the shaft - the quieter motor uses a round shaft with a flat.

damn you mad .. you said that i'm not as smart as i think ?? *sob* ...  tongue lol ok ...perhaps i need to let this 10-24 nuts somewhere where i can find them again... big_smile

elmoret wrote:

Teaser:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Filastruder/Teaser.png

+1

Filastruder