Topic: 3D Printing PEN

Check this out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/135 … inting-pen

Your own 3D printer in your hand.
Cool!

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Re: 3D Printing PEN

Saw that earlier today.  It's a novelty but I don't see an actual use for it other than for artsy stuff.  I won't let my scrapbooking addict of a wife see it that's for sure.

I backed it.  For $75 I'm sure I can think of some way to use it.  It would be good for some quick and dirty stuff, like a quick column to support something, maybe welding.  You could print something with channels in the surface and then use the pen to inlay another color.  You might be able to do a quick sketch in air of some ideas, measure it and then design it for real in CAD.

I have a fan on a duct that I keep sticking my finger in.  This could probably draw up a guard for it in 10 min or so.

Just pledged.

I can imagine this being really useful for beefing up printed parts or adding artistic stuff.

i got one too i know an artist or 3 that may be interested

I just can't get there, maybe after I see what you guys are doing with it I would be interested.

7 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-02-19 21:50:05)

wow...all that in one day

They sure know how to run the plastic racket...

"Each 3Doodler backed on Kickstarter comes with at least one bag of plastic; each bag will contain ten 1ft strands of plastic; and each 1 ft strand produces approximately 11 ft of 3Doodling fun... yes, you read that right, a foot of plastic goes a very long way in the 3Doodler."

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

8 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-19 21:54:30)

It's a miniature Filastruder!

We recommend a maximum limit of 2 ft. The 3Doodler cannot drive a spool (as a 3D printer would). If you are using a spool we suggest you cut the spool to the length needed and straighten it.

Hmm, I wonder why that is?

elmoret wrote:

It's a miniature Filastruder!

We recommend a maximum limit of 2 ft. The 3Doodler cannot drive a spool (as a 3D printer would). If you are using a spool we suggest you cut the spool to the length needed and straighten it.

Hmm, I wonder why that is?

Shrink the Filastruder down to the size of a flashlight and I think your on to something.  Being able to just load it with abs pellets would be cool.

Filastruder

Backed as I can see this for adding scroll work to a finished piece that would be darn difficult to create within a modeler.  Not impossible, it would just take more time than I would want to spend.  I wondered the other day if it could be done with, like, a glue gun, but this is a more elegant solution.  Too bad I have to wait until October for shipping. Still, I waited 3 months for the Solidoodle, I can wait this one out.

11 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-02-19 23:32:15)

I really wanted to back this one, but the 3mm filament is a non starter for me.  I don't want to have to buy 3mm when I have all this 1.75mm laying around.

This would be great to fill in gaps on prints that didnt end up being quite perfect.

Update: Fuck it, I'm in.

3Doodler is the world’s first and only 3D Printing Pen.

Correction, second 3d priting pen http://www.makibox.com/blogpost/items/m … d_scribble

Nickythegreek,

My sentinments EXACTLY!

Maybe by Oct there will be  a 1.75mm version.  I think they are going to be nagged about it a lot over the next few months.

15 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-02-20 01:34:47)

I wonder what nozzle they got on this guy.  I would guess .5mm

Ian, I hope so.  I went ahead and pled my case for a 1.75mm version using the kickstarter messaging system.  Maybe if enough people this early on push it could happen.

Wow that quick, they already got back to me!

"Hey Nick - we're all ears open on this and there does appear to be a core who would like this. We're keeping it under consideration and will see what we can do. It may not be part of this run, but possibly the next if it makes sense to do so."

nickythegreek wrote:

I wonder what nozzle they got on this guy.  I would guess .5mm

They responded already - 0.4mm.

This Kickstarter is exploding, it's over 500k now.  I just decided to pledge this morning and now I have to wait until November.

got one last night...I think about 5 other people I know bought one as well.

Filastruder

That sounds like the wait for the first run SD2's. smile

paeltz wrote:

This Kickstarter is exploding, it's over 500k now.  I just decided to pledge this morning and now I have to wait until November.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

shabby wrote:

3Doodler is the world’s first and only 3D Printing Pen.

Correction, second 3d priting pen http://www.makibox.com/blogpost/items/m … d_scribble

someone must regret A LOT not having put a patent on this... big_smile

It looks like they put a handle on their hot end, with a bowden extruder.  Putting the extruder in the pen itself like the 3Doodler is a lot harder.  If Makibox followed through with this, you might see something in 2-3 years.

I think it's interesting that people are thinking of ways to incorporate this into frames to use as a hot end.  I'm not sure how this will work out as they say that the length of filament is limited due to the design.  You'd have to find a way to feed the filament at length or watch over it to keep filling the hopper, so to speak.

I mean, it's just a higher temp auto-fed glue gun, and I guess it's surprising to me that someone is just now getting to market with something like this.

I think it's a pretty awesome concept, and as others mentioned before, it would be good to put other color on things, and maybe do small drawings. I might buy one, but considering I can't draw worth a crap, it might not be in the cards for me...

This will be knocked-off and for sale at walmart by the end of summer... Probably by the same factory they will hire to make them.
My apologies to all those who bought in to this now, and will have to wait until 4th quarter of 2013,